Author Topic: Quinoa recipes  (Read 12655 times)

nelson96

Re: Quinoa recipes
« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2014, 09:22:17 PM »
Bob had the same opinion of quinoa, until I cooked it for him. Previously he thought wet cardboard might be better.

I liked the flavor just fine.  It took on the flavor of what I cooked with it, just like I've read.  But, that bitter taste on the backside puts me off. 

I cooked mine per the instructions, but added butter, chicken stock, a little of that vegetable bouillon you gave me, and some thyme.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #31 on: September 07, 2014, 09:28:31 PM »
Weird. I wonder if you just got a bad batch? I don't even pre-rinse mine. I have never detected a bitter taste.

Cedar

Offline Redman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Lost in the 50's
« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2020, 05:16:50 AM »
I was thinking of starting a thread about Quinoa, glad I did a search first.

I've cooked quinoa periodically for a number of years but recently I've decided to eat it regularly. Often I'll cook it in unsweetened apple juice/cider and add a can of black beans.

I noticed in this thread someone said that it is loaded with carbs. That may well be however, and for diabetics and those watching their blood glucose levels, quinoa is a low glycemic food meaning that is releases it's carbs slower and a bit differently than foods with a higher glycemic index. It does not appear to affect glucose levels as quickly or as much as higher glycemic foods. Back to the quinoa, apple cider, black bean dish. My searches indicate that all three of these are considered low GI foods. Also since I need to get my blood pressure down I eat quinoa in addition to taking meds. In monitoring my BP I've noticed that the systolic (upper number) drops quicker and 10 to 20 points lower that it does when I skip the quinoa for a day or two.

I mentioned eating quinoa to my doctor and he was quite enthusiastic about it citing the quantity of minerals it contains. I wasn't surprised. He's a pill roller with the best of them but also doesn't hesitate to suggest alternative methods.

Lots to read here about quinoa and amaranth. Got 4 pages of hits on the search.