Author Topic: Has anyone built or seen a PTO-driven buzz saw?  (Read 6330 times)

Offline mobilus

• Survivalist Mentor
Has anyone built or seen a PTO-driven buzz saw?
« on: October 03, 2009, 02:14:52 PM »
Howdy all!  I have been given a couple of 20" or bigger saw blades and want to build a PTO-powered buzz saw for cutting wood.  I'd like to use a double sheave and a belt system with an idler incorporated into it for engagement/disengagement.  Has anyone here ever built one or used one? 

Any input is appreciated, although I'm not looking for reasons not to proceed with the build, i.e., not safe, etc.  Sorry, but I thought that I'd throw that out there to avoid the discourse. 

If you have any experience with this, I'd much appreciate hearing from you.

Mobilus

Offline jetta2337

• Senior Survivalist
Re: Has anyone built or seen a PTO-driven buzz saw?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2009, 10:45:32 AM »
My grandpa had one that he hooked up to his tractor. I know when I spent the summers there in the 80's it was still around all be it not used. I am headed back in a few weeks and I will ask my cousin if it is still around or not. Knowing him I am sure they ditched it. But I will ask and see if I can find it and take a picture of it.

Offline wookie in the forest

• Prepper
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2009, 11:45:42 AM »
I have one. I will try to get over to the barn and take some pics for you if the ground has dried out form all this rain.. It is a belt driven "cord wood saw". Still works and nearly 80 years old.

Offline bartsdad

• Scrooge McDuck
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • We're Vikings, we have stubbornness issues.
    • SPAMMY Link
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2009, 12:25:39 PM »

Dad's family used one for firewood before chain saws became practical. My uncle still has the saw.
Making the best of the DASH.

Offline mobilus

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2009, 05:33:41 PM »
Thanks all.  I googled it and to my amazement, someone still manufactures them.  Although at $1500, it'd take a lot of cordwood cut to pay for it.  I think I can do better than my current setup.  Right now I am cutting 6-8 foot lengths of log, loading them on the trailer, and when I get home, I'm changing out the metal cutoff wheel in my chopsaw for an older 12" miter saw blade.  It is much more efficient than cutting everything to length with a chainsaw, but i am limited severely in the diameter of limbs I can cut...5-6 inches, unless I turn the piece over and get another bite on it. 

I'd still appreciate the photos, as older designs are probably easier to copy than what I saw on the modern saws.

Offline cohutt

• non semper erit aestas
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
  • Don't Give Up Your Keys
    • Behind cohutt's Fence
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2009, 09:01:09 PM »

Dad's family used one for firewood before chain saws became practical. My uncle still has the saw.

Looks like a good way to leave an arm or a hand behind in the woods.

Offline mobilus

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2009, 09:11:06 PM »
Looks like a good way to leave an arm or a hand behind in the woods.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking about that picture.  I'd like to leave the log stationary and pull the blade into it.

Offline bartsdad

• Scrooge McDuck
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • We're Vikings, we have stubbornness issues.
    • SPAMMY Link
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2009, 01:41:36 AM »
mobilus was looking for pics and info, not safety recommendations. That said, it scares the hell out of me. On the farm this wasn't necessarily the most dangerous task. No one got hurt cutting wood, but baling hay did seem to cause more harm and damage. ::)
Making the best of the DASH.

Offline mobilus

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2009, 06:44:01 AM »
mobilus was looking for pics and info, not safety recommendations. That said, it scares the hell out of me. On the farm this wasn't necessarily the most dangerous task. No one got hurt cutting wood, but baling hay did seem to cause more harm and damage. ::)

You make an excellent point.  I guess one's outlook on safety is relative to their experiences.  I see people free-climbing mountains on TV and think that they've got a screw loose.  Maybe that comes from a 30-foot fall I took as a young man.  I was hit by a semi truck and trailer about two years ago, and now I know not to stay alongside of them as I pass, or they pass me.  I teach aircraft mechanics and make sure to stress the danger areas by relaying accidents/incidents from the past.  The past...learn from it or you're doomed to repeat it, right?  Well, there are some things we love to repeat (not doom), and things that rightfully scare the hell out of us (doom).

The level of safety indoctrination at the time of the photo from bartsdad was nothing like it is now, with the overcompensating actions of our government.  The Consumer Product Safety Commision does some good work, I guess; but they also over-reach their purpose and ban things in deference to political agendas that have nothing to do with safety.  Take the "green movement" and their ban (now terminated) on youth four-wheelers and dirt bikes because they contain too much lead.  Duh, it's called a battery.  And their attack on second-hand stores...get real.  But the government will continue to be the "nannny" in every way we allow it.

As far as farm work goes, I know it well.  I grew up in a farming family.  We've lost loved ones to horrific accidents.  And looking back on some of them, we now ask if there wasn't a better way to do whatever.  Sometimes there is, sometimes not, and sometimes the inherent risk is something that we accept.  Operational risk management, so it is called.  In the photo we see an open blade, and kids doing the work, but the oldest kid or father is nearest the danger - so at least the danger was recognizeed. 

We may see a time when heating our homes dictates more risk than setting the thermostat.

Offline Cacinok

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2009, 10:23:40 AM »
mobilus, i would ask your question over at the forums at http://www.tractorbynet.com . they have the answer to just about any question related to tractors, homesteading, building your own implements, etc.  some pretty amazing DIY threads over there.

i'm wondering if you couldn't run the saw w/ rear hydraulics and use the three point to lift the log up into the blade.  basically, slide the log in, it hits a stop an adjustable stop, you lift the three point and it lifts the table holding the log up into the blade, lower the three point, move the log and repeat. 

or you could use tree cutting sheers that attach to the tractor and turn them horizontal.  i've never used any so i don't know how clean of a cut they make. 

man now i want to go home and play, er i mean work, on my tractor not sit here at my desk.  may have to go home early.

Offline AGreyMan

• Prepper
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2009, 09:08:27 AM »
You make an excellent point.  I guess one's outlook on safety is relative to their experiences.  I see people free-climbing mountains on TV and think that they've got a screw loose.  Maybe that comes from a 30-foot fall I took as a young man.  I was hit by a semi truck and trailer about two years ago, and now I know not to stay alongside of them as I pass, or they pass me.  I teach aircraft mechanics and make sure to stress the danger areas by relaying accidents/incidents from the past.  The past...learn from it or you're doomed to repeat it, right?  Well, there are some things we love to repeat (not doom), and things that rightfully scare the hell out of us (doom).

The level of safety indoctrination at the time of the photo from bartsdad was nothing like it is now, with the overcompensating actions of our government.  The Consumer Product Safety Commision does some good work, I guess; but they also over-reach their purpose and ban things in deference to political agendas that have nothing to do with safety.  Take the "green movement" and their ban (now terminated) on youth four-wheelers and dirt bikes because they contain too much lead.  Duh, it's called a battery.  And their attack on second-hand stores...get real.  But the government will continue to be the "nannny" in every way we allow it.

As far as farm work goes, I know it well.  I grew up in a farming family.  We've lost loved ones to horrific accidents.  And looking back on some of them, we now ask if there wasn't a better way to do whatever.  Sometimes there is, sometimes not, and sometimes the inherent risk is something that we accept.  Operational risk management, so it is called.  In the photo we see an open blade, and kids doing the work, but the oldest kid or father is nearest the danger - so at least the danger was recognizeed. 

We may see a time when heating our homes dictates more risk than setting the thermostat.

Point made in an excellent manner.

Stay Safe,
AGreyMan

Offline mobilus

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2009, 08:38:37 PM »
I never got around to building the saw I wanted to build, but I came up with this alternative.  I put an older miter saw blade on my metal chopsaw, and used my pto-driven generator to provide the power.  It doesn't work on really thick limbs, but gets the job done. 

Maybe I can get started on the pto-driven saw soon.   I load the old recycle/laundry tubs with the cut firewood, then move them to the back porch with forks on my loader bucket.  Works great.

Offline cohutt

• non semper erit aestas
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
  • Don't Give Up Your Keys
    • Behind cohutt's Fence
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2009, 12:00:19 PM »
Looks like that system woirks pretty well for you.

What model Stihl is that?

Offline Orionblade

• Taffeta Boy
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Blacksmiths hit it while it's hot.
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2009, 12:07:36 PM »
Hey bud, kick ass on the DIY project - I'm picking up a tig welder when the price drops again in a week or so - I totally wouldn't mind welding up a shield for you that won't get in the way, kinda like what's on your average chop/skil saw.

If you want to go more local, make sure you get something like polycarbonate or steel, or both - that way if the guard hits the blade, it cuts into the polycarb/PVC and kicks it back out of the teeth instead of dulling all the teeth on the steel.

My grandfather borrowed one from a friend back in the day for cutting up a tree, but IIRC, it mounted to the back of the tractor like his mower and all - maybe you could look at accessories for the Farmall series of tractors. He had a cub and a 230. I still have the 230, albeit in disrepair.

Anyone want to help me restore it next summer? It's a prime candidate for a gasifier!
You can't run away on a world that's round.
You're only comin' back to where you'll be found.

Based on thorough experiments involving kissing in the rain, exposing shoulders to direct sunlight, and dancing by the light of a silvery moon,  I have found that, within the bounds of frostbite and decency, hapiness is inversely proportional to the amount of clothing worn.

Offline mobilus

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2009, 02:02:47 PM »
What model Stihl is that?

That's a 270C in the picture.  Got a great deal on it because the dealer took it to a home and garden show and ran it for maybe 30 minutes.  Full warranty and extra chain.

I also have a 180C for limbing.  They are great saws.

Hey bud, kick ass on the DIY project - I'm picking up a tig welder when the price drops again in a week or so - I totally wouldn't mind welding up a shield for you that won't get in the way, kinda like what's on your average chop/skil saw.

If you want to go more local, make sure you get something like polycarbonate or steel, or both - that way if the guard hits the blade, it cuts into the polycarb/PVC and kicks it back out of the teeth instead of dulling all the teeth on the steel.

Thanks, OrionBlade.  I've found modern buzzsaws on the net, and they use the blade guard that you describe.  I'll pattern mine off of what they have.  I'm jealous of your getting a TIG machine.  I love the capability of those things.

Offline Orionblade

• Taffeta Boy
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2010, 12:41:11 AM »
We have two 270C's - dead nuts reliable.

Good eye on the guard, but I definitely suggest you put a liner inside, just in case a tooth grabs - the blade will easily cut through plastic and rather gently bump the guard up as opposed to hitting metal and goinge ape shit.

As for the tig welder - it's a harbor freight unit - 350 bucks, and I have a 30 dollar gift certificate, so 320 bucks for me. That'll basically bring it back down to the original price once I get an argon tank and regulator. Did you know that argon is the only renewable noble gas used in welding? It makes up nearly 1% of the atmosphere IIRC, and Helium is only found on Earth as an impurity in natural gas, where neutron/gamma bombardment from radioisotopes converts other gases into Helium over millenia. It's too light to stay on Earth, as its mean velocity at room temperature is several times escape velocity. The only reason Hydrogen sticks around is because it binds to oxygen and such!

Random scientific rant over, check out Harbor freight - it's a pretty nice unit, 10-160 amps, and it can do 100% duty cycle all the way up to something like 40 or 60 amps - more than enough for what I need, and about on par with the lower end Miller/Lincoln/Heliarc units. there's another one that's kinda crappy - but I would think it's adequate for real thin stuff. Only draw back is I need to pull a 220 line across my garage where I'm going to be using it. Might come in handy on projects like this! *nudge nudge*

Based on thorough experiments involving kissing in the rain, exposing shoulders to direct sunlight, and dancing by the light of a silvery moon,  I have found that, within the bounds of frostbite and decency, hapiness is inversely proportional to the amount of clothing worn.

Offline kc9eci

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2010, 08:27:12 AM »

This is what we had.  That long haired hippie to the left of the photo is me, circa 1990 or so.
It's ham radio, or better yet, amateur radio, not HAM...it isn't an acronym.

"Police, Firefighters and EMS are the most collectively dysfunctional group of people in existence and only we understand each other!"

Offline Orionblade

• Taffeta Boy
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2010, 10:41:48 PM »
Nice guard. Is that an anti-kickback farmall?

*snort*

Offline kc9eci

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2010, 10:57:13 PM »
Nice guard. Is that an anti-kickback farmall?

*snort*

It's an H.  My cousin's husband has it and the saw now.  Still runs like a champ.  That's the only Farmall we ever had.  With the exception of a small Ford and a small Allis Chalmers everything else was John Deer. 

"Police, Firefighters and EMS are the most collectively dysfunctional group of people in existence and only we understand each other!"

Offline Uncle Bob (he ain’t right)

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #19 on: February 28, 2010, 09:10:59 PM »
Heres on on Craigslist

Dirt cheap too

http://columbus.craigslist.org/grd/1622494960.html

Offline mobilus

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2010, 06:41:37 AM »
Thanks, Uncle Bob!  That's the setup I was looking for.  I think I can replicate that one.

Offline Orionblade

• Taffeta Boy
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2010, 04:34:44 PM »
Please dear jesus re-engineer the guard!

I LOVE how old equipment has guards everywhere except where you can trip, stumble, and fall directly onto rotating cutters.

*dies in a fire*

Offline mobilus

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2010, 05:15:44 PM »

I plan to...there is another design that I saw that has a guard like one on a chopsaw...

I know...you have a TIG welder.  I'm jealous.

Offline kc9eci

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2010, 05:49:47 PM »

I LOVE how old equipment has guards everywhere except where you can trip, stumble, and fall directly onto rotating cutters.

*dies in a fire*

I'm not so sure that was a bad thing.  Culling the inept from the gene pool might sort out some of the issues that plague society today.

Offline Orionblade

• Taffeta Boy
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2010, 12:23:07 PM »
Yeah, but we all have our off days. You wouldn't want to take out a really brilliant, skilled mechanic just because he had a knack for tripping over tree roots ;-)

A better strategy might be to booby trap all the Xbox and Playstation systems so that lazy kids would have to figure out how to use it without getting a nasty electric shock.

Offline ksdon

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2013, 11:46:12 AM »
When my mom bought our farm back in the 60s she also bought a sears garden tractor, at the time sears sold a buzz saw for the little thing . the garden tractor died many times aka blew three motors over the years and finally shelled the tranny a couple years ago.
I still have the buzz saw and still use it  mounted a 11hp honda on it for power .
My not have all the fancy guards required by new stuff but Ive been cutting wood with it since I was ten and never got so much as a scratch.
Its sad that everything these days needs to be idiot proofed

Offline randyt

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2013, 02:31:09 PM »
the best buzz rig is made so the log is laid on a V- table and the piece to be cut off hangs over the end past the saw. The table either rolls back or swings back . The full weight of the log is supported by this table. This is a lot safer.