Author Topic: Protective gear, injury prevention  (Read 1756 times)

Offline Dave

• Prepper
Protective gear, injury prevention
« on: October 08, 2009, 08:34:16 AM »
It has been covered in several places separately, but injury prevention as a consolidated subject is an important consideration.

Avoiding injuries is always good idea, "if times get tough, or even if they don't". Of course, in a scenario where medical care is non-existent, inconvenient, or dangerous, it is crucial.

Most survival gear lists will include gloves, first aid provisions, etc., but here are a few other considerations.

Eye protection: Safety glasses or even ballistic goggles might be overkill in normal life, but in a SHTF scenario we might want to be extra cautious in everyday activities. Dealing with even a regional event is tough enough, try it with single eye vision. Like they say, "it's all fun and games until someone loses and eye."  ;D We all wear glasses when shooting, but you can just as easily catch debris chopping wood or prying off an old nail.

Hearing protection:
chain sawing, shooting, wodworking all throw off noise levels which can degrade hearing. According to CNN yesterday, "life is full of noise, but new research shows that it presents a bigger danger for some people than others." including hearing loss from "powered instrumentation". http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/10/07/hearing.loss.noise/
A couple sets of $8 earphones from WalMart might not be a bad investment. They are easily lost or broken so a couple extra can't hurt.

Steel toed shoes: Hauling wood or water, even gardening is tough with a lame foot. Toes and foot injuries are easy to get from tasks which seem relatively safe. I was moving a 4x8 sheet of 3/4 plywood in my garage a few years ago, and if tipped from the 4' side over onto the 8' side. Unfortunately my foot was 5' from the pivoting corner. It was a rough 10 days after that. They even make steel toed sneakers now which are also WalMart-available.

Hardhat: Trimming limbs, nailing overhead, or working up and down ladders is not extremely dangerous in everyday life. A hammer or screw gun onto the head from 5' above could be a serious issue in a disaster scenario. It could mean the difference between being able to maintain security or not. If you had a couple $10 white hardhats from Home Depot.....you may even strap one on in normal times if it was already laying around.

Leg protection: A missed axe swing, chainsaw kickback, yard tool mishap, or even thrown rock from a lawnmower can put a nice gash or worse to the legs. Chainsaw chaps would be nice, but even an old set of sports shinguards would slow down the damage. Again, in todays world it might be overkill, but I can guarantee that if a situation develops where going to the hospital is impossible, or a bad idea, I am avoiding any injury at all cost. Not to be political, but a "restructured" health care system could result in trips to the ER becoming a nightmare.

I have no intention of becoming afraid of every activity, but with onmipresent availability to emergency treatment, we humans may have overlooked some opportunities to protect themselves from relatively minor injuries. Today these injuries are simply painful and inconvenient. Tomorrow they could be more of a threat to life. Also consider that an injury today, even with proper medical care can result in a permanent condition which could slow you down later.

Offline doublehelix

• Survivalist Mentor
Re: Protective gear, injury prevention
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2009, 01:52:36 PM »
EXCELLENT post Dave, and one of the more frequently overlooked pieces of the prep. puzzle.

Offline doublehelix

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2009, 01:53:39 PM »
EXCELLENT post Dave, and one of the more frequently overlooked pieces of the prep. puzzle.

I forgot to add: do not forget dust masks, pesticide masks for keeping vectors under control, and
good work gloves.

Offline bartsdad

• Scrooge McDuck
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • We're Vikings, we have stubbornness issues.
    • SPAMMY Link
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2009, 12:47:28 AM »
Learning proper techniques and practices for any tool you use is probably the most important safety item.

Using the proper tool is also important. The risk to you increases when you use a tool for something it wasn't meant to do.

Keeping tools sharp and well maintained also reduce risk of personal injury.