Author Topic: Going to get my flu shot  (Read 9152 times)

Offline ncjeeper

• Most Noble Order of the Garter Snake
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Oooops!
Going to get my flu shot
« on: October 06, 2009, 09:17:12 AM »
I normally dont get the flu shot but last year the bug rocked my world. So I'm going to get it today at work (its offered free to all employees). Do you get your shot yearly or stay away from it?

Offline KYdoomer

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Zen Gardener
Re: Going to get my flu shot
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2009, 09:33:25 AM »
I've only had the flu once and that was the year after I got my shot.  Maybe coincidence but I have some tinfoil hat theories (not even regarding this latest one) that I'll keep to myself.

J

Offline Pathfinder

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2009, 09:42:29 AM »
After cardiac surgery 7 years ago, I have been getting flu shots every year, no problems other than a little injection site sensitivity for a week or so.

No H1N1 shot though, do not like the idea of 18 month development and testing cycles reduced to 6. Odds ain't in our favor on that one.

Offline mamabear

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2009, 09:48:11 AM »
I never get the flu shot and have never had the flu. Even when working in a nursing home being around all the sick folks and when my son had it(caught at school)  and I stayed home for a week to care for him. My sister also works in a health care field and does not get the flu shot, nor has she had the flu. I am not certain my memory is correct but I think that my mom got the flu shot one year and ended up  sick, although she had never had it before or since.

Offline KYdoomer

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Zen Gardener
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2009, 10:37:38 AM »
Theory:

The 1918 Pandemic killed off a lot of people who were vulnerable to flus.  Those that survived were either extremely lucky or had good immunity.  I believe not the immunity itself but the capability to have that immunity was passed down genetically. 

I believe that the flu shot only makes you strong to one type and weakens your response to all others.  Reference all of the stuff we've been hearing about the Swine flu being more prevalent in those who were vaccinated for the regular type.

Plus...yeah the 6 month development window.  I agree with you.  I'll pass thanks.

J

Offline swoods

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2009, 12:19:41 PM »
I never get the flu shot and have never had the flu. Even when working in a nursing home being around all the sick folks and when my son had it(caught at school)  and I stayed home for a week to care for him. My sister also works in a health care field and does not get the flu shot, nor has she had the flu. I am not certain my memory is correct but I think that my mom got the flu shot one year and ended up  sick, although she had never had it before or since.

Nope, never had the shot, got the flu once. Won't get the shot this year either. We can get it free at our local health dept. since we are county employees, but I won't be in line, plus the health dept. just disclosed today that they only have gotten 600 doses and won't have more til November/December.

Offline ColdHaven

• Coldylocks
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • How about a scary crow little fire?
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2009, 03:22:45 PM »
I have taken the regular flu shot every year since I was in the Army. Never really got the flu. Caught pneumonia real bad earlier this year, but no flu. I have never gotten sick from taking it either. No Swine Flu shot for me though. No thank you. Would you ride a car that only went through half of the safety tests? I know I wouldn't.

Offline ncjeeper

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Oooops!
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2009, 07:50:21 PM »
Well I got it. Ill see how it goes.

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2009, 07:59:09 PM »
Not getting the shot this year.  I don't really have an issue with the seasonal flu shot.  However, I have issues with the rush on the H1N1 vaccine.  My biggest concern is the blanket immunity that was given to the flu shot producers.

Offline robt871

• Survivor
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2009, 07:16:18 AM »
I will take my chances.  I will take neither shot. seasonal or H1N1.  www.pandamicfluonline.com  no thank you.

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2009, 07:47:43 AM »
never have, won't this year either.  and neither will any of my children (age 6 mo - 7 yrs).  We had the flu 2 years ago.  yeah, it sucked, but we kept drinking lots of fluids and homemade soup and the kids look back at it as "remember the time we were all sick and mom moved all of our beds into her room and we all slept there?" "and we threw up A LOT."  my understanding is that the flu is only dangerous if you get dehydrated.
not saying that we wouldn't get REALLY sick, but we will deal with that if it happens.

Offline Doc K

• "King of the Medicine Cabinet"
  • Survivalist Mentor
  • Military Physician
    • Temperate Climate Permaculture
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2009, 12:34:14 AM »
I'm in the military so I have already had my seasonal flu shot. 
This one contains the 3 strains the CDC and others deem are most likely to infect us.  Hope they chose the right three this time! :)
I've treated outbreaks in Minnesota one winter where we had an outbreak flu that wasn't one of the 3. 
Ooops!

I will soon get the H1N1 as it is manditory for all actve duty troops.
Not really an option there. 
Hope I'll still be around to listen to Jack...  ;D
I am not woried at all about the H1N1 vacine, but I completely understand the arguments.

I have had a influenza illness about 10 years a go.
It was aweful.  I was bedbound for 14 days.  I remember the first 3 days and last 4 days.  The week in the middle I was sleeping and fevering and don't really remember what happened.  My wife took care of me.  We had no insurance at the time.  I did not have the flu shot that year.

And, as mentioned above, dehydration from the flu can kill you.  But it is often the secondary infections.  My most recent pt to die from H1N1 was a relatively healthy middle aged gentleman.  He had acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS).  Another recent death was from a fast onset pneumonia.  These things hit fast and very hard.  Delay in seeking care at that point my cost a life.  Unfortunately, I am in one of the highest H1N1 zones in the country now.  And, in reality, these are few deaths compared to the large number being diagnosed every day with it.

Doc K

Offline The Sage of Monticello

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Lover of Liberty
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2009, 05:38:22 PM »
I have no desire having thermisol or squalene injected into my body.  Nor do I want a live virus sprayed into my nostrils.

Wash your hands, don't eat out, and don't listen to the media scaring you into getting the H1N1 vaccine. I am highly skeptical about the media consistently announcing alleged rising numbers of children dying from H1N1.

I have two young boys and they will not be getting any shots.

sarahluker

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2009, 05:52:30 PM »
NCJeeper,  so how are you doing after the shot.  Btw, was it the reg flu or H1N1?

Kara

« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2009, 06:42:14 PM »
We get them free where I work, and I got mine this year, like I do every year. I've never had a flu of any kind, that I know of, and I'm ok with getting the yearly flu shot. I waiting in line for nearly an hour, whereas most years it's in and out. I think that the recent flu hysteria has people making sure they get the regular shot, even though the H1N1 isn't available yet.

I'm feeling weird about the H1N1 shot, though it's a moot point right now because they only sent enough to our area to treat the health care workers. By the time they get enough doses to treat the regular people up here in the Northern Plains, I'll most likely have died from old age. Either that, or they'll have come up with some other new and improved horror to scare people with.

Offline spooky-1

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2009, 07:38:45 PM »
I' m with Doc K, we active duty guys HAVE to get our flu and H1N1 shots. I've voiced my personal opinion over the H1N1 and how I do not want to take it and was met with this response:

"Captain, I never wanted to get stationed overseas, I never wanted to be in Iraq for 6 more months than I signed up for, I never wanted to sit behind a desk instead of fly, and I never wanted to be the commander for a pansy (he used another word) ass flyboy who is worried about the US government conspiring against him with a flu shot!"

I'm getting the shot on Thursday...

Offline ncjeeper

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Oooops!
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2009, 07:44:50 PM »
NCJeeper,  so how are you doing after the shot.  Btw, was it the reg flu or H1N1?
Doing fine. No adverse reaction. I got just the regular flu shot.

sarahluker

« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2009, 07:58:34 PM »
Glad to hear it. 

Offline Pathfinder

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2009, 08:19:14 PM »
I' m with Doc K, we active duty guys HAVE to get our flu and H1N1 shots. I've voiced my personal opinion over the H1N1 and how I do not want to take it and was met with this response:

"Captain, I never wanted to get stationed overseas, I never wanted to be in Iraq for 6 more months than I signed up for, I never wanted to sit behind a desk instead of fly, and I never wanted to be the commander for a pansy (he used another word) ass flyboy who is worried about the US government conspiring against him with a flu shot!"

I'm getting the shot on Thursday...

Well, at least he explained to you why!  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D

ChiefCornerstone

« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2009, 08:44:46 PM »
   Got a question for Doc or anyone who might know the answer. If you do not get the flu shot will that not help you fight off the flu and other strains in the future? also if you get the shot and a survival situation happens where the shot is no longer available, will that not make it easier for you to get the flu?  Possibly even worse.

Offline Doc K

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Military Physician
« Reply #20 on: October 13, 2009, 07:32:09 AM »
   Got a question for Doc or anyone who might know the answer. If you do not get the flu shot will that not help you fight off the flu and other strains in the future? also if you get the shot and a survival situation happens where the shot is no longer available, will that not make it easier for you to get the flu?  Possibly even worse.

Here is a long answer for you.  ;D

This is how the vaccine production process work right now...
The CDC (or some other 3 letter gov't medical agency) watch for trends in the world influenza infection rate.
Typically most of the influenza infections in the U.S. originate in Asia and then spread east and west across the globe - eventually reaching our country.
There is usually a 3-6 month time lag at a minimum from origination in Asia to U.S. infections.
The scientists use a lot of computer algorithms and analysis and occasionally an eight-ball to choose the influenza A & B viruses (2 of one and 1 of the other) that will infect the U.S.
Then vaccines are made for these specific viruses.
People are given the vaccine.
If they chose correctly, most people who got the vaccine will be immune.
Sometimes, people who get the vaccine do not produce antibodies to the vaccine and are not immune.
Sometimes, the scientists choose wrong or a new virus pops up after production of the vaccines have started (this is what happened with swine flu).
Outbreaks still happen, but there is hopefully enough of a "herd immunity" to keep the vaccine from harming a whole lot of people.

Now, death is obviously the worst case scenario with an influenza infection.
However, most people who get infected with the influenza virus (both the normal seasonal flu and the H1N1 variant "swine flu") do not die.
Why not?
Well, their bodies find some part of the virus that an antibody (part of our immune system) attaches to and targets the virus for death.

Sometimes I think a word picture analogy is easiest to understand...
Imagine that our immune system is really just two guys: a tailor and a sniper.
They live in a town where bad guys walk the streets.  All the town's people live indoors (this is my make-believe town, so go with me here.)
This tailor makes gloves, socks, jackets, pants, hats, etc.
He only uses orange thread.
He makes tons of gloves, socks, etc. in all different sizes all the time.
He then throws all these clothes out in the streets, down alleys, over fences, etc.
The sniper sits up in a tower overlooking the town.
He sees the bad guys of the town walking around all day long and ignores them.
These bad guys see the clothes all over the place and occasionally try them on.  But they only keep the clothes that fit them.
If the sniper ever sees someone with a piece of orange clothing on, he tries to shoot them.
Everytime the sniper shoots someone, he goes and gets that piece of clothing from the body.
He then gives that piece of clothing, let's say a Left handed glove size 7, to the tailor.
The tailor then makes a whole bunch of size 7 left handed gloves and puts them all over the place.
Now, anyone who can put a size 7 glove on their left hand will be targeted by the sniper.
If someone comes by wears a size 6 Left handed glove, they may say, "hmmm, that's a little big, but it fits good enough.  I think I'll keep it."
Well, then that person will be targeted by the sniper, too.

Our immune system never targets the whole bad guy (whether it is a virus, bacteria, or fungus). 
It will only recognize one small part of the bad guy (such as a protein sticking off one side).
This is where vaccines come in.

A vaccine producer is like a ranger for the town.
He goes out and looks for bad guys in neighboring towns.
He looks for trends.
He may say, "Look, in all the towns to the north, bad guys are shooting and raping and stealing."
He then sneaks into the those towns and kills some of the bad guys.
He chops them up and brings them to the tailor.
The tailor then makes socks and gloves and hats that fit the body parts (yeah, this is gross  :-\ ).
The tailor then puts all these new clothes at the entrances to the town.
If bad guys come from the other towns, they see this pile of clothes and try them on.
The sniper sits and watches to see if the clothes fit and then shoots them before they can make it into town.

Vaccines are made by taking bad viruses or bacteria and killing them.  These dead virus parts are then injected into us.  One part of our immune system (the tailor) then makes antibodies (gloves) that match the parts for another part of our immune system (the sniper) to kill.
Sometimes vaccines are made by making the virus impotent (like the town ranger drugging the bad guys so they can't rape or steal) before giving them to us.

So, if you are able to make antibodies (gloves) for a virus (bad guy), it doesn't really matter if you got the pattern from a bad guy who happens to be walking the street or if it was a hand that the town ranger brought in.  In fact, it could be better if you stopped the virus from wreaking havoc in our bodies first (stop the bad guy from entering the town and doing bad things) instead of waiting for and hoping that our immune system will find a match before we have too severe of a reaction (fever, shock, death, etc.).

If you get sick from a virus and “fight it off”, your body has just made antibodies for part of that virus.  If you get a vaccine, your body usually makes antibodies for part of that virus.
If a new virus comes along that happens to have a part sticking out that fits the antibodies your body already has (from vaccine or natural fighting it off), it will be killed.
If a new virus comes along that does not have a similar part that your antibodies fit, your body has to go through the infection to produce a new antibody.

For things like the common cold (which has thousands of variations), our bodies do an okay job of creating antibodies for each individual variation.  As you get older, as long as you don’t travel a whole lot (or are around a whole lot of people who travel), you eventually will have antibodies to almost all the local area cold virus variations.  What did it cost you?  A few days of runny nose and cough.

For things like influenza, what will it cost you to make antibodies?  We don’t know for sure.  That is the whole problem and where most of the controversy comes from.  Will this influenza or that influenza virus cause you to be sick for a few days or will it cause your immune system to be so fatigued from trying to make the right antibody that it gets infected with a pneumonia bacteria that takes right over and kills you? 

In my opinion, we have to take each bug (virus, bacteria, etc.) on an individual basis and weigh the pros and cons of each threat.  Taking a vaccine will not weaken your immune system.  It may help it fight off similar infections in the future without the consequences of catching the disease.

Maybe in another post, I will discuss the “toxins” in vaccines and their “links” to autism and developmental problems.  But I have written enough for one day!

Hope this helps.
Doc K

ChiefCornerstone

« Reply #21 on: October 13, 2009, 09:55:39 AM »
    Doc that is one Heck of a post.. are you sure you didn't leave anything out though ;D. Doc when you are done with the military I think survival bedtime stories would be your next calling. I truly enjoyed, and understood all that you said. I even printed it out to keep for the future. Thank you Doc for serving in the military. Thank you even more for taking care of our boys in the military. God Bless You, and all those men and women serving in the military. I make sure my 3 little ones say a pray for our service people every nite.

Offline monkeyboyf

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #22 on: October 13, 2009, 02:30:05 PM »
A big +1 for the best explanation of this situationI have heard. :-*

Offline SigMan34

• Survivor
« Reply #23 on: October 13, 2009, 05:46:46 PM »
I got my "regular" flu shot 3 weeks ago, as I have for the past 23 years...no flu has hit me during that time. I know its partially luck and decent hygiene, the shot doesn't protect you from all the viruses, but I'm a believer that the shots do no harm.

Now, the H1N1 vaccine...that's another story there. My personal jury's still out on that one. My doc did advise me to get it, but I dunno...we'll see.  ???

Offline SteveInTx

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2009, 07:17:06 PM »
I've already contracted H1N1 so I guess I'll be skipping that one.

Offline P_Coltrane

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2009, 07:28:41 PM »
I've already contracted H1N1 so I guess I'll be skipping that one.
Ditto to that. My daughter and I both contracted it last week.

sarahluker

« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2009, 07:37:44 PM »
How was it?  I realize not great but from 1 to 10???

Offline P_Coltrane

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2009, 09:17:37 PM »
How was it?  I realize not great but from 1 to 10???

It was a 2 at most. We both had fevers, aches, nausea, and headaches. My daughters fever lasted 5 days but her other symptoms only lasted about 12-18 hrs. Mine was like a 24 hour head cold with the aforementioned symptoms. I know it doesn't sound like we had it but we tested positive.

sarahluker

« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2009, 09:23:14 PM »
Wow, that sounds alot better than some flus.  I guess the severity depends on each person, but I'm hearing the same story from alot of people.  Next time around you will have some immunities, so something good comes from it hopefully.

Offline Doc K

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Military Physician
« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2009, 06:06:30 AM »
My 16 month old son had it for about 5 days.  Fevers that responded to tylenol and motrin.  Irritable and slept more than normal.
Bounced right back.  Doing great now.
He has egg sensitivity and can't get the flu vaccines, so he got immunity the old fashioned way. :D