Author Topic: Plastic over windows  (Read 12692 times)

Offline mamabear

• I <3 DEV
  • Survivalist Mentor
Plastic over windows
« on: October 06, 2009, 03:03:44 PM »
I need to cover my windows for the winter. I tried the plastic that you can buy in the little boxes that you cut and stick on, then blow dry it to shrink it, but the cats took care of that for me. I was thinking of putting something hard across the windows that they can't shred, but am unsure what to put on. Also, my blinds are recessed into the frame and if I cover the whole frame, I won't be able to open the blinds. My windows are original to the house with the wavy glass and all. It is a rental that will be torn down, so no hope of new ones. Is there something maybe that I can put on the outside that won't cost an arm and a leg, that will be resistant to cold wet snowy ice weather? And local vandals? If there is, how do I install it? Just screw it on? Any suggestions?

TSP Inflatable Goat Brigade

Offline Pathfinder

• Survival Demonstrator
Re: Plastic over windows
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2009, 03:23:44 PM »
Use heavy plastic on the outside, stapled to the window frame, perhaps with screen stop (small, flat strips of wood about 1/2" wide and 1.8" thick or so) to cover the staples. If the building is really going to be dropped, maybe include a bead of caulk under the plastic where you staple to improve the infiltration seal. Not pretty, but it will prevent a lot of infiltration.
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these to others, and I require the same from them.

J.B. Books

Offline shangrily

• Survivor
  • me
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2009, 04:15:45 PM »
I do this at my house in the summer it blocks some of the suns rays from coming threw the window and heating the house (helps on ac bills)
i don't know about in winter tho
follow the money, you will always find greed.

Offline mamabear

• I <3 DEV
  • Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2009, 04:19:18 PM »
Maybe I should have been more specific. I don't really use the air much because my house has super high ceilings and the window open at the top when I do need to let the heat out. The windows themselves are very drafty and the air just blows in all around them, and through the pully system holes. I need to keep the winter air from blowing in. I do not really open the windows all that often as one of my cats now has allergies and I have to take her in for shots if I open windows. It is cheaper to leave them shut and just open the doors if I need fresh air.
Thanks for the advice pathfinder. Or should I say directions.

Offline shangrily

• Survivor
  • me
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2009, 04:21:22 PM »
on second thought how about putting insulation between the window and the screen. you can get a roll of it cheaply i think.

Offline razor sharp

• Prepper
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2009, 04:23:30 PM »
I've done this every year for 30 years. all you need is a roll of clear plastic from the paint dept. of wal mart and some cardboard. cut the cardboard out in 1 1/2 inch strips as long as you can get them. put the plastic up to the window(put a couple staples  at the edges to help hold it in place. then staple the cardboard every 4-6 inches all the way around the window.(try to keep it as tight as you can) trim the plastic at the outside edge of the cardboard. then in the spring when you want fresh air just pull it all down and paint over the tiny little holes the staples left(if you feel its necessary)  hope this helps. Razor

Offline shangrily

• Survivor
  • me
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2009, 04:26:04 PM »
Maybe I should have been more specific. I don't really use the air much because my house has super high ceilings and the window open at the top when I do need to let the heat out. The windows themselves are very drafty and the air just blows in all around them, and through the pully system holes. I need to keep the winter air from blowing in. I do not really open the windows all that often as one of my cats now has allergies and I have to take her in for shots if I open windows. It is cheaper to leave them shut and just open the doors if I need fresh air.
Thanks for the advice pathfinder. Or should I say directions.
well of its just some cracks around the window try getting a tube of caulk and sealing them
even with buying a caulk gun will only set you back less than 10$

Offline razor sharp

• Prepper
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2009, 04:26:49 PM »
i see i didnt say to put it on the outside so--put it on the outside  :)

Offline sherker55

• Survivor
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2009, 11:18:01 PM »
buy new windows, they get the 30% tax credit...besides that, they will save you a ton of money in the summer and winter, and look great ta-boot!  plastic is only good to slow down the cold, or wind...doesn't nothing for the transfer of the heat/cold...double or tripple pained low-e and argon insulated windows.  case and point...go put your hand on your refridgerator door, then on your freezer door...both feel the same right, well freezer is 0 degrees inside, and fridge is 40...big temp difference inside, but both feel exactly the same...insulation.  and storm windows are only good for keeping wind and rain and objects from hitting your glass...the whole reason the engery providers endorse using these "effeciency" kits is because they don't WANT you to replace your old leaky windows with energy efficient ones because they'll be loosing money...think about it
"...a wise and frugal government, which shall restrain men from injuring one another, which shall leave them otherwise free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned. This is the sum of good government."  Thomas Jefferson

Offline mamabear

• I <3 DEV
  • Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2009, 01:34:18 AM »
If I owned this house I would consider new windows. However, I am renting and in a couple of years the house is scheduled to be demolished. I am not footing the bill of replacing all the windows, and I know the owners won't either. I don't blame them, who wants to put that kind of money in a house that is coming down in two or three years? That is why I want to cover them.

Offline sherker55

• Survivor
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2009, 08:52:36 AM »
well that little bit of info would have helped before I gave you all my window secrets!  ;)  yeah, then buy some caulk, and thick construction grade plastic, and 3M two sided tape...
"...a wise and frugal government, which shall restrain men from injuring one another, which shall leave them otherwise free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned. This is the sum of good government."  Thomas Jefferson

Offline Cacinok

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2009, 02:48:23 PM »
i had to buy some weather stripping for a door at wally world the other day and i noticed that they had 3-4 mil thick clear plastic meant to cover your windows, on the outside.  they had it in rolls and large square sheets.  it'd do exactly what you want.  it was fairly inexpensive.

Offline mamabear

• I <3 DEV
  • Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2009, 07:30:05 PM »
Thanks guys for all these suggestions. I will head out walmart this week. I also found out from my mom that she has a staple gun, so that is one less thing to buy.

Offline creuzerm

• Survivalist Mentor
    • My Blog
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2009, 06:25:36 PM »
I rent too, and my cat loves sitting in the window. He paws at it incessantly. Window film doesn't stand a chance!

What I did is bought a sheet of 1/8th inch plexi/acrylic sheeting. It was NOT cheap at $80 for the sheet. I cut in in half, as the 2 windows are pretty large.

I double insulated my windows. I use a film kit tight against the window frame. This just stops all the drafts in the windows themselves. It doesn't do too much for insulation besides stopping the drafting issues. One window, I had to double side tape the center of the film to the window as it kept sucking in and out as the apartment and window 'breathed'. It would snap tight at both extremes. Very annoying a foot from your head at 2 am.

I then do a second layer out, on the inside of the window. I have no trim on my windows, so it's right on the wall. This gives a couple of inches of 'insulation' that is draft free.

I then take the 1/2 sheet of Plexi I got and use mirror clips to mount that to the wall. It doesn't go all the way to the top of the window, but it keeps the cat from shredding the plastic film. It just sits on the window ledge.

My dad made wooden frames stained the same as the trim on the house, and put in plexi in the frames. These got screwed right to the window trim in the winters. 120 year old house, 20 year old windows.

I like using the window film and the mirror clips because if I have a fire, I can just grab and pull the sheet and it will flex enough to pop out of the clips. The film is trivial to bypass. Then open the window, and kick out the screen.
Live for today, but prepare for tomorrow...

Offline jljmonky

• Prepper
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2009, 10:00:08 PM »
Mamabear, the last couple days have been SERIOUSLY windy for you and I... What we have done is used heavy curtains.... lined curtains to be specific and then hung shears on the inside of those. we open the south facing ones during the day and allow it to heat the living room. then we close them in the evening and they seem to dimish the drafts a lot! then we reverse the system in the summer, keeping the sun out and allowing the cool air in during the evening hours.
"I must study politics and war that my sons may have liberty to study mathematics and philosophy."
-John Adams

Offline shadewolf

• Prepper
    • TechCowboys Farm Blog
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2009, 01:21:33 AM »
We are going the route of both heavy curtains and hard acryilic in wood frames. We plan to screw the framed acrylic to the wall around the window sill and will be putting a line of weather stripping on the frame where it will contact the wall to help seal it from drafts. We have dogs that paw the windows like mad when our goats or sheep wander by so our original plastic sheeting got shredded. I also got tired of not being able to see out my living room windows and other windows all winter so will really enjoy the clear acrylic at least until we can afford the triple paned argon filled windows we really want. I can say that last winter taping the plastic to the windows made a huge difference to the warmth and comfort level of our home and so reduced our gas heating bill by a ton. it was worth the effort to do it.
TechCowboys Farm, Warburg AB
http://www.techcowboysfarm.com

DevilDoc

« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2010, 01:08:55 AM »
Dad yrs ago made wooden frames and staped clear plastic to it the wood frames were painted same color as the window frame .... he would use shims to hold them in place but it made a nice difference inthe ohio winters.

Offline grog

• Prepper
    • The grog blog on wordpress
Re: Plastic over windows/ interior storm windows, a resource
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2010, 10:11:54 AM »
The latest edition of Mother Earth News has a how to article on this same subject, with the 'frame' matching the same color as the window frame.

Looked pretty good and pretty simple to do. I took a look on the website itself, and did not find it online.

The edition is Oct/Nov 2010, page 56, under country lore. Note I am not in any way having any monetary interest with Mother Earth News.
Preps  are good, Preps with planning better.

Offline swainer

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2010, 04:24:52 PM »
http://mtbest.net/bubble_glazing.html

There is some interesting information on this site, you may find it helpful - he used bubblewrap on his windows.

swainer

Offline STLAR

• Prepper
« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2010, 08:23:20 AM »
Try bubble wrap.  Get the kind with the larger bubbles (3/4 inch),  cut it to fit the window, then use a spray bottle and lightly spray the window with water.  While the glass is wet push the bubble wrap against the window and the water will make it adhere.

Link Below
http://www.builditsolar.com/Projects/Conservation/bubblewrap.htm

Offline creuzerm

• Survivalist Mentor
    • My Blog
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2010, 04:34:01 PM »
Mamabear, they make kits that go on the OUTSIDE of the windows. I had seen one at the store. Not sure what makes it different than the inside ones. Let the cats shred that! If the windows are that old, it may be a good idea to film the outside of the window as well, just to stop the wind from hitting the window and causing drafts. A light wooden frame that sits just inside the outside trim that you can hold in with a few small nails or something should work.

I had a drafty sliding glass door. This isn't necessarily cat proof, although my cat never did shred it after a full winter.

[EDIT] I found a youtube video I put up of it as well.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTZMD59QJ6U

http://mike.creuzer.com/2010/01/sliding-glass-door-insulation.html I am trying to post my blog post below, but if it's not quite right, you can see it on my blog.

I have a leaky sliding glass door. No, water doesn&#8217;t poor in every time it rains, cold air comes in. I don&#8217;t know why, by my apartment sucks &#8211; it pulls air in from the outside.
So, I decided to insulate my sliding glass door. I looked at the sliding glass door insulation kits for $13, but that renders the door useless. I thought about doing just the glass, but that doesn&#8217;t really stop the leaks, just reduces the cold air falling off the window from being in contact with such a large, cold surface.
So, I build a double pain, plastic door.
Using my favorite stuff&#8230; Duct tape!

temporary wooden frame" style="margin: 0px 10px 10px 0pt; clear: both; float: left;" border="0
I used a bit of scrap lumber I had to build the frame.  I had kept a bundle of edge that got trimmed of some one-by at some point in the past.

duct tape joints in a temporary wooden frame" style="margin: 0px 10px 10px 0pt; clear: both; float: left;" border="0The joints are just duct taped together. This is a temporary structure, so it&#8217;s fine by me.
<br clear="all">

duct tape hinge in a temporary wooden frame" style="margin: 0px 10px 10px 0pt; clear: both; float: left;" border="0I created a duct tape hinge by leaving a gap in the wood when I taped it together. This allows the joint to hinge. Clever, I think.

double sided tape weather stripping" style="margin: 0px 10px 10px 0pt; clear: both; float: left;" border="0I have moved this messed up roll of double sided tape, foam weather stripping from WI, to FL, to IL. I am such a packrat. It is a sickness. I can make cool things by scrounging around in a closet. **grin**

winter insulated sliding glass door" style="margin: 0px 10px 10px 0pt; clear: both; float: left;" border="0 Here, I have the whole set up installed. The window isn&#8217;t usable for looking out anymore, but that&#8217;s not a big deal, the drainage ditch in the yard and street aren&#8217;t that grand of a vista anyhow.

hooks used to hold the frame to the wall" style="margin: 0px 10px 10px 0pt; clear: both; float: left;" border="0  I used some small hooks to hold my contraption to the wall. I just screw them down until I can twist them and they will hold the frame snug. I used the weather stripping for both sealing and also shimming the frame out so the hooks would hold it snuggly. I put these around the right hand half, including on top.

hooks used to hold the frame to the wall" style="margin: 0px 10px 10px 0pt; clear: both; float: left;" border="0On the left hand side, by the slider, I put just a single hook. I use this as the &#8216;latch&#8217; as I can give it a quick twist, and the frame can open up on my duct-tape hinges. I can now use the sliding glass door, even though it&#8217;s covered in 2 layers of plastic sheeting.

How cool is that? (ugly as sin, too, isn&#8217;t it?)
The blinds close to hide the whole thing, so it look just fine from the inside.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2010, 07:09:49 PM by creuzerm »
Live for today, but prepare for tomorrow...