Author Topic: Chevy vs. GMC  (Read 4219 times)

Skald

Chevy vs. GMC
« on: October 13, 2009, 11:34:16 AM »
Ok, I am not much of a gearhead so please forgive me.

My question is are both the same or is GMC better made than chevy?  I know the GMC do cost more but is it worth it?

RobW

Re: Chevy vs. GMC
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2009, 12:06:46 PM »
Back a few years ago I bought one of those high rider Blazers, and the difference between the Chevy and the GMC was you could pay more for the GMC and get a different grille and body color fender flares as opposed to black only on the Chevy.  Nuts, bolts, frame, engine are all the same, trim and dodads are what you're paying for.

Goatdog62

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2009, 12:11:36 PM »
There used to be significant differences (engine, tranny, frame) but those went away as GM streamlined/standardized production starting in the late 60's.

Option packages are the only real difference now. You may be able to get certain options on certain models that you wouldn't be able to get on others. For instance: When I bought my 2006, Chevy offered the 6.0 Vortex Max in the 1500 series with 4WD. GMC didn't. GMC offered a Denali with the 6.0 and AWD, not what I wanted.

Skald

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2009, 01:55:22 PM »
Thanks for the information.  I would prefer to get a Toyota but my fallback truck will be a Chevy.  I have one now and this truck has been in 4 accidents (only 1 was my fault), rolled over, run into a ditch and still runs great, but the body is pretty messed and being from the north has some bad rust going on.

Offline TexDaddy

• TSP Goat Wrangling Geezer. He is EVIL also.
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • I live in Texas. What country are you from?
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2009, 06:40:39 PM »
The Chevy and GMC are moving back towards being different now. Neither one is 'better.' The GMCs are fancier and have more option availability. They are built one right after the other in the same plants. Drive train, frame and suspension components are mostly the same, except for some option availability. You will notice more difference in the external appearance now than there was a few years ago, when they even had the same sheet metal.

You may want to beware of the Toyota Tundra. Some have recently developed frame problems. A few affected the braking capability. More frequently, the spare tire became separated from the frame.

ChiefCornerstone

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2009, 08:13:01 PM »
  Skald If you are going to buy used get one down south out of the rust belt.. I know about those car eating salty nothern roads. Bad stuff..  Hey, next post you should do is Ford vs Chevy ..  See how long that dog will hunt..

Offline TexDaddy

• Moderator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2009, 08:32:59 PM »
  Skald If you are going to buy used get one down south out of the rust belt.. I know about those car eating salty nothern roads. Bad stuff..  Hey, next post you should do is Ford vs Chevy ..  See how long that dog will hunt..
OH NO! Please do not do that. Here, in Texas, someone would end up dead. Ford people are born that way. Chevy people are born that way. There is no way to win that argument, regardless of which side you are on.

Here, our pickups are a member of the family, and will be defended as such.

Offline KYdoomer

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Zen Gardener
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2009, 08:41:04 PM »
OH NO! Please do not do that. Here, in Texas, someone would end up dead. Ford people are born that way. Chevy people are born that way. There is no way to win that argument, regardless of which side you are on.

Here, our pickups are a member of the family, and will be defended as such.

That's why I went Dodge.  Just couldn't win. 

But yeah you are right.  GMs and Chevys are built on the same line right behind Buicks and Saturns (now).  Fords are built alongside Mercurys and Lincolns as well.

Working in the auto industry I hear so many horror stories.  I am leaning toward assuming that you work in the same industry.  Am I wrong?

J

Skald

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2009, 09:33:52 PM »
I am NOT going to do a Chevy vs. Ford.   

Again, thanks all your help about the differences between Chevy and GM.   

ChiefCornerstone: I live in Florida now and out of the snow. 

Since my needs have changed going to go either 4Runner, Sequoia, or the Suburban line (both the Suburban/Tahoe type lines).   I will keep my mind open to a pick up but a SUV would fit my plans the best.

Offline TexDaddy

• Moderator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2009, 01:07:11 AM »
...I am leaning toward assuming that you work in the same industry.  Am I wrong?

J
Retired from same.

Goatdog62

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2009, 05:49:46 AM »
I am NOT going to do a Chevy vs. Ford.   

Again, thanks all your help about the differences between Chevy and GM.   

ChiefCornerstone: I live in Florida now and out of the snow. 

Since my needs have changed going to go either 4Runner, Sequoia, or the Suburban line (both the Suburban/Tahoe type lines).   I will keep my mind open to a pick up but a SUV would fit my plans the best.

I made the decision two years ago to be exclusively Toyota. Now have 4 and a Lexus. The reliability is incredibly reassuring and they all share the same size oil filter and other components.

ChiefCornerstone

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2009, 08:18:16 PM »
So Tex whats your ride. I promise not to tell any one in Texas.

Offline TexDaddy

• Moderator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2009, 09:58:40 PM »
So Tex whats your ride. I promise not to tell any one in Texas.
2006 Chevrolet Silverado, half ton crew cab. You may tell anyone you like. I am very proud of her.

Offline KYdoomer

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Zen Gardener
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2009, 08:15:04 AM »
2006 Chevrolet Silverado, half ton crew cab. You may tell anyone you like. I am very proud of her.

I'm guessing that you worked at the GM plant in Arlington.  I liked dealing with that plant.

J

ChiefCornerstone

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2009, 09:40:18 AM »
I have found that certain states have a preference for certain brands of pickup.    New York - Chevy.  North Carolina - Chevy. Florida - Fords.  I believe Georgia Leans towards Fords to. I think Texas is split pretty close down the middle maybe slight edge to Chevy. Just the states I have lived in hung out with the good old boys. Just my opinion.

Offline TexDaddy

• Moderator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2009, 10:08:04 PM »
I'm guessing that you worked at the GM plant in Arlington.  I liked dealing with that plant.

J
For over 37 years.