Author Topic: Krav Maga  (Read 30513 times)

Offline joeandmich

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: Krav Maga
« Reply #60 on: April 08, 2014, 01:31:29 PM »
Muay Thai tends to use Knees and elbows more than other kick boxing styles. Also we use a form of boxers clinch where we hyper extend the opponents neck forcing them towards your knee. The roundhouse kicks are much more damaging since the leg swings around in a 360 degree motion ending where it started. Also we only fight orthodox instead of switching stances. Instead we kick with our left lead leg by doing something called switch kick where we switch the position of our feet bringing our lead left leg back and kicking with it. Its much faster than switching sides. Conditioning of the neck and shins are much more severe than almost any other style.

Now Hung Gar had a lot of conditioning but mostly from the elbows down and severe low stances. We did slam our forearms against palm trees which have a rough bark. We also trained in iron palm, red sand palm and chi kung exercises as well.

Both styles are very external in nature and require conditioning of the limbs not to take punishment but to inflict punishment when we strike or block.

My old Hung Gar Master actually broke a Tae Kwon Do black belts shin when he blocked a roundhouse kick with his forearm.

Joe

Offline Josh the Aspie

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Faith, Hope, Love.
    • Josh the Aspie's Homepage
« Reply #61 on: April 08, 2014, 01:51:18 PM »
I suppose I'm just so familiar with the Kick boxing at my dojo, and from occasionally watching MMA and Kenichi, that I forgot that most forms of Kick-boxing don't have a strong elbow and knee emphasis.  We also drill switch-round, be it in Kung Fu or Kick Boxing.   The exact form of the clinch, 360 kick, and the hardening are different, though.

Our closed guard arm position also tends to be lower (fists beneith the eyes) than my understanding of Tan Guard Mui (eyes looking out between the wrists), which is the same closed arm position I drilled in at one of my Tai Kwon Do schools.

That said, punishing blocks are something we work on learning both how to do, and how to avoid, depending on our intent.

Offline Sephiroth

• Senior Survivalist
  • Peak Oil !?? Nah....
« Reply #62 on: July 01, 2014, 08:23:11 AM »
I was going to make a Thread but i found this one first ^^

So, next week i am starting Krav Maga. I believe, that self defense will always start in hand to hand. It is the basic and it will probably help me very much in this matter.

I am a Green belt in Tae Kwon Do but i left TKD because i want something more focused in real life situations. Dont get me wrong, i love TKD and other martial arts. But Krav Maga is not a Martial Art. It is a Self Defense system.

Can anybody tell me what to expect in Krav Maga ?  What to look out for ? And also, is it true that it is so efficient in modern life ?

Thanks !

Offline joeandmich

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #63 on: July 01, 2014, 12:11:09 PM »
I was going to make a Thread but i found this one first ^^

So, next week i am starting Krav Maga. I believe, that self defense will always start in hand to hand. It is the basic and it will probably help me very much in this matter.

I am a Green belt in Tae Kwon Do but i left TKD because i want something more focused in real life situations. Dont get me wrong, i love TKD and other martial arts. But Krav Maga is not a Martial Art. It is a Self Defense system.

Can anybody tell me what to expect in Krav Maga ?  What to look out for ? And also, is it true that it is so efficient in modern life ?

Thanks !

Expect palming to head, hammer fisting to face, neck and back, western boxing to neck, elbows, knees and the best part is Stress Drills. All self defense techniques are simple and easily used for defense against empty hand, knife and gun. Some schools even have defense against multiple attackers, assault rifles, car abduction and from the ground. If you do attend a school make sure they are from a Internationally known organization. I am a level 1 instructor about to get his level 2 this month. I have seen many instructors actually teach their system and call it Krav Maga. I've seen instructors teach BJJ and JKD. I suggest you look up someone who is affiliated with Krav Maga Global, krav Maga Worldwide or International Krav Mga Federation. Those are the largest ones.

Good luck.

Joe

Offline Sephiroth

• Senior Survivalist
  • Peak Oil !?? Nah....
« Reply #64 on: July 01, 2014, 12:54:44 PM »
Thanks Joe,

The school i will go to is the HQ of Krav Maga in Brazil, so more official then that isnĀ“t possible. I am fortunate that they are close to my house...

About multiple attackers, cars and stress situations, they say once you progress about an year you are capable of tacking those specific courses. Each one is around a 4-5 day program.

Looks pretty serious. Which is good !

Offline Sephiroth

• Senior Survivalist
  • Peak Oil !?? Nah....
« Reply #65 on: July 01, 2014, 12:58:31 PM »
Ow !

I forgot to ask Joe....

Since you are an Instructor.

Should i buy a Sandbag so i can train at home some Punches/Kicks combos ? Is it a good workout ? I think about it, but just dont know if there is any benefits of training on a Punchbag....

Thanks !

Offline joeandmich

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #66 on: July 02, 2014, 06:02:52 AM »
Ow !

I forgot to ask Joe....

Since you are an Instructor.

Should i buy a Sandbag so i can train at home some Punches/Kicks combos ? Is it a good workout ? I think about it, but just dont know if there is any benefits of training on a Punchbag....

Thanks !

Your school should have everything you need. Invest in a good groin cup, shin guards, boxing gloves, MMA gloves and a mouthpiece. As you advance you will most likely start sparring.

Good luck,

Joe

Offline Sephiroth

• Senior Survivalist
  • Peak Oil !?? Nah....
« Reply #67 on: July 03, 2014, 05:03:15 AM »
OK Joe, got it !

Thanks !