Author Topic: Silver and gold equities will outgain the physical metal  (Read 1690 times)

Offline stayfrosty

• Prepper
Silver and gold equities will outgain the physical metal
« on: October 08, 2009, 01:11:15 PM »
As much as I love to read that more and more people are buying gold and silver, I think people need to consider not putting all of your investment money into physical metals. I do not advocate buying ETF's (paper metals)... but I do suggest you look into gold and silver mining stocks. Equities have a significantly better chance to rise exponentially than does the physical metal price. Sure, you risk losing your investment completely... but it is a very small risk that can be mitigated with simple research on the prospective buy.

In my personal portfolio I own IAG (IamGold) , HL (Hecla Mining), SLW (SilverWheaton), and NG (NovaGold). Since I bought, I've made great gains.

IAG  495%
HL  284%
SLW  124%
NG  1020%

During this same time, gold and silver prices have only risen 25%. Can you imagine the gains if gold and silver double? Incredible!! If you want to get really savvy, you can buy stock options of gold/silver mines. I would recommend this only to seasoned investors.

Check out this article below that shows comparisons between physicals and equities during the last gold/silver rush.
http://www.silverbearcafe.com/private/10.09/equities.html

frosty

(Please don’t buy anything based on my recommendations. I am not responsible for your actions.)

Offline LdMorgan

• Dedicated Contributor
Re: Silver and gold equities will outgain the physical metal
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2009, 11:16:20 PM »

In my personal portfolio I own IAG (IamGold) , HL (Hecla Mining), SLW (SilverWheaton), and NG (NovaGold). Since I bought, I've made great gains.

IAG  495%
HL  284%
SLW  124%
NG  1020%

During this same time, gold and silver prices have only risen 25%. Can you imagine the gains if gold and silver double? Incredible!! If you want to get really savvy, you can buy stock options of gold/silver mines. I would recommend this only to seasoned investors.

I just have to ask--mostly because I never had a chance to ask anyone this question before.

When you say you've made gains, do you mean paper gains that will become real if you sell your stock today, or money-already-in-your-pocket gains from dividends or already having sold your stock?

Paper gains are one thing, but the other kind is a genuine profit, and returns like that as genuine profits would be hard to beat.

That kind of a genuine profit might even change my religion and start me singing in the choir!

Offline stayfrosty

• Prepper
Re: Silver and gold equities will outgain the physical metal
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2009, 05:30:24 PM »
That's a good question. Much of my gains are still just on paper, although I've locked in my gains on many occasions on the way up. I still have stock in each of those companies that I could sell today (the day of the post) for that gain. I wouldn't be able to tell you any specific percentage gain for each stock sale unless I did some serous accounting. The percentages in my posts were found using the price that I first bought the stock and the price as of today.

I get what you are thinking in that some of my gains would not have actually been at those levels. Good call. I do know that I've never taken a profit of less than 55% on any of these stocks.

I hope that clears it up.

frosty