Author Topic: Adios cable TV  (Read 4312 times)

Offline Outdoorsben

• Prepper
Adios cable TV
« on: October 08, 2009, 08:46:57 PM »
1st let me apologize as this will most likely be a lengthy post.

So for months now my cable/internet bill has been really bugging me. Now I'm a bit of a tight wad, I always look to save money BUT when there is something I really want or need I have no problem spending the money as long as it's useful to me (ie new gun or something to help me around the house or at work). My bill is currently $125 for tv and internet. Now I use the internet but I HARDLY watch tv. So when I was on the Charter website looking at prices I saw my exact package for 79.99. So at 1st I used the online chat to try and negotiate a lower rate. Keep in mind my service has been terrible in the last year and charter has had to come out on 3 separate occasions to fix it. So this is the convo with the charter employee. I cut the convo down to the "good part".

Me: well I see on your website 79.99 for what I have.
Me: it's 79.99 on your site and i'm paying roughly 125.
TTD Jennylyn : Please contact us at 1-888-438-2427 to better assist you with the promotions. We have the Retention Department who can educate you on it.
TTD Jennylyn : The online promotion is for the new customers.
Me: So if I cancel my service and get service again would that pretty much cover a "new customer"???
TTD Jennylyn : Yes.
TTD Jennylyn : Have I resolved your concern today? Is there anything else that I can help with you?
Me: Just wanted to see if I got this right...I can cancel my service and get it again to be a new customer but I can't get that "promotion rate" after telling you that I would pretty much do that?
TTD Jennylyn : Yes.
TTD Jennylyn : Would there be anything else that I can help with you?
Me: So there is no way that I and your company can be saved the hassle for this??
TTD Jennylyn : Please contact us at 1-888-438-2427 to better assist you with the promotions. We have the Retention Department who can educate you on it.
Me: I'll be sure to call, but most likely to cancel the service. This just isn't good business practice. I know it's not your fault Jennylyn. Thanks for your time and have a great day.
TTD Jennylyn : As a recap, I was able to check the account and provide your current balance. By the way, we have a survey at the end of this chat session. I would greatly appreciate it if you could give me your feedback on how I handled your concern today. Your feedback is valuable in improving Charter’s customer service.
TTD Jennylyn : You're welcome.

So I then call up and get told a completely different story about how they can save me $3.00 on my bill. Not bring it to 79.99 but to save me $3.00 dollars. I was furious at both of these convo's. They are basically telling me that I can cancel and re-subscribe but they won't change my bill. So with those convo's and me being cheap I'm done with my cable tv. I'm going to build or use a spare desktop as an HTPC (home theater pc) and I'll be getting all my shows from netflix and/or hulu. I'll do the old rabbit ears for my local channels.

Does anyone else think that charter has gone off the deep end with that convo I posted?? Anyone else care to give me any links or tips on sites. I know i'll have NFL and NCAAF on regular local channels. Hulu and Netflix will have most of the stuff I watch and ESPN360 for any sports I may want to watch. I just read an article on gizmodo about someone doing this as well that gave some pointers.

Offline donaldj

• Dedicated Contributor
    • Keep and Bear, LLC
Re: Adios cable TV
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2009, 07:56:37 AM »
A buddy of mine buys "internet only" for $35/month. He hooked the TV up to the cable one day, and found he had all the basic channels. That's been going on for 8+ years now. He has the best deal ever.  ;D

Even if it didn't have the TV available, just download the shows you want to see from the channel's website. Almost all of them have their shows available now.

D

Offline bushidorobb

• Survivor
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2009, 08:06:32 AM »
I recently made similar major changes.  I was paying $125 for TV and internet plus another 30 for an internet based phone system.
I contacted DISH  and found i could get most of the same channels  as cable for $22.00 for the first 6 months and the $44 after that.
Then I contacted a local alternate phone service provider and found I could get a land line phone and DSL service for $37.50/month  guaranteed rate for 5 years.
So now I have what i did and am paying less than $80.00/month for TV, internet  and phone. ;D

Offline Stein

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2009, 10:21:51 AM »
It forces me to be very disloyal.  I don't care who gets my business, if you have a better deal I switch.

We pay $16 a month for a few channels and figure that someday we can just buy a channel or two or have it piped over from the computer.  Somebody has to be close to fully integrating the TV and the computer.

I also read that if you turn the tube off for one hour a day and read instead you can get the equivalent of a college degree in 5-7 years. 

Offline Outdoorsben

• Prepper
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2009, 10:56:40 AM »
I'm going to order a receiver from amazon for about 37 bucks. Supposed to be very good from what a read on the forums. If that won't work then i'll be forced to put up an antenna on the roof which is ok. If all else fails basic local channels are on dish for 24.99 for with no promotional rate. So at worst my bill goes from 125 to 75. Savings of 600 a year. I've had multiple convo's with various people at charter and they just all seem to just think it's impossible to live without cable or to get cable for pretty much nothing by LEGAL sites on the web.

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2009, 01:08:19 PM »
I'm on one of those promotions right now.  Once it's done, I'll be looking to change.  But the companies in this area have enough competition that the threat of switching usually gets the bill dropped.  Not to the promotional rate, but to something pretty close.

Offline Outdoorsben

• Prepper
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2009, 01:33:47 PM »
I actually found the receiver I was looking for locally. I just got home and set it up. I get my 5 local channels + about 5-8 random other channels I haven't figured out where they are yet. Best thing about it is my 5 local channels all come in HD since I bought an HD receiver and I have an HD TV. Adios charter cable tv. You've been replaced, for free.

Offline Gas-Mask

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Will work for food and fight for freedom!
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2009, 02:46:16 PM »
I've never had cable/dish...  I've never been able to afford $40 a month...  When that would give me gas for 4 days...  And I have kids...  I don't want to give them more choices...  Just more reasons to stop watching "the same channels"... LOL
I have the basic phone line for like $12-$15 and internet for $30 and that's it!  NetFilx and you-tube to the rescue...

Besides,  The little free time that I do have is used reading and listening to TSP!

;D

Offline War_Eagle

• Prepper
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2009, 09:16:25 AM »
We haven't had a TV for about five years now. Best decision we ever made. Admittedly, I do "cheat" and find ways to watch "24", "Burn Notice", and "Leverage".

Now, we have movie nights where we hang up a sheet between a couple of trees (or in the barn when it gets cold) and have family friendly movies and invite family and friends over to cook out and watch with us.

We also get a lot of our entertainment from old radio shows. Jack Benny and Amos and Andy are our favorites.

Offline donaldj

• Dedicated Contributor
    • Keep and Bear, LLC
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2009, 10:13:58 AM »
We haven't had a TV for about five years now. Best decision we ever made. Admittedly, I do "cheat" and find ways to watch "24", "Burn Notice", and "Leverage".

Dude, Burn Notice is an excellent show. It's my favorite one to come by in quite a while.

Offline LICountryBoy

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2009, 10:40:09 AM »

We also get a lot of our entertainment from old radio shows. Jack Benny and Amos and Andy are our favorites.

+1. I still think radio is king.
I started collecting OTR when I was a kid. It's easier now to store and collect with mp3 and digital media. Once I discovered newsgroups my
collection grew 10 fold.

Offline War_Eagle

• Prepper
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2009, 11:38:09 AM »
Dude, Burn Notice is an excellent show. It's my favorite one to come by in quite a while.

It is, indeed. It has kind of a neat "Tom Clancy meets MacGyver" vibe to it because the "when you're a spy" monologues are based on real intelligence techniques.

Quote from: LICountryBoy
1. I still think radio is king.
I started collecting OTR when I was a kid. It's easier now to store and collect with mp3 and digital media. Once I discovered newsgroups my collection grew 10 fold.

Very cool. I don't collect them per se, but I just download them from the twenty or so podcasts available on itunes and listen to them on LIVE365.com.

I really didn't realize that there were so many people who still listened to them until I started getting the podcasts.

Offline War_Eagle

• Prepper
« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2009, 07:19:38 AM »
By the way, I saw the previews for the new season of "24" and it looks pretty good. Jack's a grandpa now, evidently, and it looks like he's worked out a lot of his demons.

The show also takes place in New York this time.

Offline Nophix

• Prepper
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2009, 09:43:17 AM »
I did this a few years ago and have never looked back. Everything I want I can get on the net, between Netflix, Bittorent, Hulu, and even the network websites.

Not to mention, I've moved away from most mainstream media and watch mostly private media content anyhow.

I'll never pay another cable TV bill again. I refuse to pay that much to be stuffed full of rediculous commercials and nearly no real content.