Author Topic: Reloading question  (Read 3685 times)

Offline barnesglobal

• Senior Survivalist
Reloading question
« on: October 09, 2009, 08:49:45 AM »
I am about to embark on reloading, but after re-listening to the podcast 75, I am rethinking on how many calibers to jump into at one.  We have 12 and 20 gauge shotguns, 7mm WSM, 9 mm, and .22 LR.  We are planning on starting with the Lee Anniversary set.  I had been working on the false hope or assumption that their was just one type of gun powder to use, and then it was just a question or brass and primers.  After reviewing this podcast, it sounds like it is not that simple.  Please advise.  If I can effectively use one type of gun powder across the our spectrum of calibers, it would be really helpful.  Otherwise, It sounds like I need to buy the different reloading recipe books and then start my shopping list.  Please advise.

barnesglobal

Offline bushidorobb

• Survivor
Re: Reloading question
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2009, 09:04:13 AM »
Find a good book on reloading.  Read it twice.  Having a good understanding of the process will make your purchases smarter and save you money ( and fingers). ;D

Offline Bones

• Survivor
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2009, 09:09:08 AM »
Barnes

You've got a lot of research to do first. You can't reload shotgun ammo with the Lee kit. You can't reload 22 with any kit. As for your 9mm and your rifle caliber - you'll need different powders, different primers, different brass and bullets (obviously). You'll also need dies specific to the calibers you want to load.

My recomendation to you is to get the Lee Kit, read the book, and get a set of 9mm dies. Handgun reloading is far easier and cheaper when you make your mistakes. Do a few thousand rounds of 9mm to see what you think before buying dies for your rifle. Buy once, cry once. Good luck.

Offline barnesglobal

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2009, 09:33:50 AM »
Thanks for the feedback.  Can you recommend a good book on reloading?

Offline bushidorobb

• Survivor
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2009, 09:41:29 AM »
I really  like this book!

Hornady Reloading Handbook 7th Edition
Good luck!

Offline Bones

• Survivor
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2009, 02:03:22 PM »
The book that comes with the Lee Kit is pretty good. I also like the Speer rleoading manual and the book, "The ABCs of Reloading" (which I have loaned out right now or I could tell you the author). The more time you spend reading about the process the less time you'll spend messing up brass and components.

In addition to the Lee Kit you'll need to get a tumbler or someother way to clean brass, and you'll need components. Primers are hard to come by right now in my AO. You'll probably be on backorder somewhere for weeks or months waiting for those. That'll give you time to read and prep a bunch of brass so you can hit it hard and fast when the primers come in.

Offline The Sage of Monticello

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Lover of Liberty
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2009, 05:18:15 PM »
This brings up a good point on .22 ammo. If you can't reload it, why is it so valuable as an ammo choice? The positive used to be price and quantity. However, we all know ammo is scarce.

Not being reloadable is the primary reason I have not picked up a .22 rifle or pistol to my collection.

Offline lzhome

• Prepper
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2009, 07:12:37 PM »
This brings up a good point on .22 ammo. If you can't reload it, why is it so valuable as an ammo choice? The positive used to be price and quantity. However, we all know ammo is scarce.
Cheap! 500 rounds for under $15 so if you could reload would it be cost effective? A .22 rifle can be real handy especially hunting small game. I have a couple of .22LR rifles, one .22LR pistol, several bricks of ammo but rarely shoot them. And did I mention that .22 ammo could be a great barter item?

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Lover of Liberty
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2009, 10:22:44 AM »
Unfortunately, I was late in the game in ammo storage.  :(     Can't find any .22 ammo in my area.  Most sites are back ordered. Nevertheless, you are right. Price is the selling point.

Offline Bones

• Survivor
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2009, 11:10:57 AM »
This brings up a good point on .22 ammo. If you can't reload it, why is it so valuable as an ammo choice? 

I think you just answered your own question. The reason it would be valuable as barter in a SHTF situation is the fact that you CAN'T make more (reload). What is cheap now will be worth a lot when the ability to make more goes away. Listen to Jack's podcast on the virtues of the .22 cartidge and you'll be convinced as to the value of having one in your armory.
http://www.thesurvivalpodcast.com/episode-88-a-survivalists-view-of-the-22-long-rifle

Offline cohutt

• non semper erit aestas
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Don't Give Up Your Keys
    • Behind cohutt's Fence
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2009, 07:52:45 PM »
shotgun and pistol powders have a good bit of overlap, so if you end up persuing both types of reloading. 

The magnum rifle is a completely different part of the spectrum.

But you'll learn all that from you reloading manuals   ;)

Offline barnesglobal

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2009, 11:13:15 AM »
Given the variety of equipment and powders I need, at what point (Dollar-wise) does it make more sense to buy reloading equipement instead of stocking up on factory ammunition?

Barnesglobal

Offline Bones

• Survivor
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2009, 06:46:38 PM »
Barnes - if anyone tries to convince you that you should reload to save money they are blowing smoke. I don't save any money by reloading...but I sure do shoot a LOT more.   ;D

Seriously, there are reloading calculators online (do a search) but it comes down to what are reloading and why? 357 for hunting - reload! It's cheaper. 7.62x39 for SHTF hoarding? Buy and buy some more! It's cheaper. But if you want to know what goes into your ammo and the specifics of how it all works together in your specific firearm there is no better way than to "roll your own".

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Lover of Liberty
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2009, 07:47:19 PM »
Agreed. I don't save much money reloading. The whole reason I reload is self sustainability and not relying on bartering to acquire ammo in a SHTF scenario.

It's why I initially questioned the .22 because I can't pick up .22 reloading dies. Therefore, picking up ammo without having a weapon to shoot it with, wasn't attractive to me.

I reload minimum powder loads to extend my powder supply and brass life. Thanks to this discussion I now understand the bartering benefit.

Recently as of yesterday, I pinched myself in disbelief, as my local ammo brick and mortar store was nearly fully stocked in ammunition for the first time since October 2008. And thanks to the talks here I checked out .22 rifles on sale, since ammo was largely available.  ;)

Offline barnesglobal

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2009, 08:29:39 PM »
Sounds like best option is a combination. Buy bullets in bulk where applicable, but supplement with applied practice of reloading

Offline Duc1

• Survivor
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2009, 11:27:58 PM »
Barnes

You've got a lot of research to do first. You can't reload shotgun ammo with the Lee kit. You can't reload 22 with any kit. As for your 9mm and your rifle caliber - you'll need different powders, different primers, different brass and bullets (obviously). You'll also need dies specific to the calibers you want to load.

My recomendation to you is to get the Lee Kit, read the book, and get a set of 9mm dies. Handgun reloading is far easier and cheaper when you make your mistakes. Do a few thousand rounds of 9mm to see what you think before buying dies for your rifle. Buy once, cry once. Good luck.

This is good advice!