Author Topic: SURVIVAL STRESS REACTION- FIGHT, FLIGHT, POSTURE, OR SUBMIT  (Read 4482 times)

Offline swanson

• Standing In The Gap
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • "Don't let others live in your head rent free."
SURVIVAL STRESS REACTION- FIGHT, FLIGHT, POSTURE, OR SUBMIT
« on: November 13, 2008, 05:18:46 AM »
Survival Stress Reaction is a subject near and dear to my heart.

For anyone that has dealt with stressful situations or encountered life-threatening duress or believes  that dealing with danger (in survival or combat) may be a future possibility in their lives, I believe the article below will be of enormous value...

http://specnology.com/FIGHT%20OR%20FLIGHT%20REFLEX.htm

A CLOSER LOOK AT THE FIGHT OR FLIGHT REFLEX

Did you know that when you are under high levels of stress (such as you might encounter in a gunfight) you can't close just one eye?...

***edited by TexDaddy, in accordance with DMCA rules and regulations***
« Last Edit: September 08, 2010, 01:36:59 PM by TexDaddy »

Offline ColdHaven

• Coldylocks
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • How about a scary crow little fire?
Re: SURVIVAL STRESS REACTION- FIGHT, FLIGHT, POSTURE, OR SUBMIT
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2008, 09:27:48 PM »
Everything that I thought to add to this has already been stated! Well done! Just one more reason why preparedness helps us live the lives we want if times get tough... sorry thats Jack's tag line and I am not going to steal it.  ;D Honestly though, I love subjects like this. Very well detailed. Definite +1.

Half-way through I was already formulating a response to how to aid yourself to keep your heart rate down, but by the end, all of it had virutally been covered.

I might add to the visualization technique. Invision yourself losing too and what you would do to try and gain the upper hand. Don't always think you are going to be on the winning side. Do that, and you will notice your heart rate will increase. Now think about it times ten. Being prepared, having confidence in your abilities via training and research, and being prepared to die are different ways to keep your head.

I wonder if training to fire your gun without focusing on the end would be effective? Hmmm...Food for thought.

I love the breath technique. Breathing helps control your heart rate also. I used to think that this was another reason they told us to breathe in...hold breath briefly, fire, exhale.

I think, and I have no basis for this, but there are different kinds of adrenaline dumps. One happens when you anticipate a fight. Another happens when you are caught off guard. And yet another happens when you are afraid. Of course one of these can lead into another and become blurred. However, if you keep your head (which is not always easy) you won't drop into the fear category and then rely on gross motor skills (Like running). I believe that if people are aware of their surroundings a majority of the time they will not be caught off guard. If you are confident in your skills and preparedness then I believe you will stay in the 'anticipate fight' area. I think your system drops the appropriate amount of adrenaline into your system based on what it feels it needs to survive. When you are all out afraid then you get a massive dose of adrenaline and you would be lucky to be able to write your name.

Preparedness.

Situational Awareness.

Confidence.

Key.

Offline swanson

• Standing In The Gap
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • "Don't let others live in your head rent free."
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2008, 06:18:31 AM »
Coldhaven,

Great comments +1.

I plan on putting up some follow up threads related to survival stress reaction.

I think understanding how your body responds to stress BEFORE experiencing it helps to mitigate the issue in and of itself to an extent.

swanson

Offline PAGUY

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2010, 04:21:08 PM »
First I have to say thanks to both of you.  I have been reviewing older threads and each one that I have come upon so far you two have either started or have had great comments on.  Secondly the articles are pretty dog gone good if I do say so myself.  Thank you again for finding a great source of info.

Offline ColdHaven

• Coldylocks
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • How about a scary crow little fire?
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2010, 09:45:08 PM »
Thank you. Swanson is the resident newshound of our mod squad. He definitely finds some interesting stuff.

You have been digging up some rather good threads that others may not find because it is buried under two years worth of threads. Good job for that.

You are an animal. I am an animal. We have natural, innate instincts designed to help us survive, however they are not always the correct one. We have a mind and the ability to discern our enviroment. A rabbit will run, trying to escape from a car by instinct, and run right under its wheel because it is only performing the reactionary instincts it was born with. Humans have the ability to discern that running pell mell might not be the best reaction to a situation. Some of us are hardwired to fight of flight. Personally, I am a bad runner.

Know yourself. It was written on the temples of Greece, and it is just as true today as any time in history. If you know yourself, study yourself, understand yourself...you will have overcome one of your biggest obstacles you will ever meet. Learn how you react under stress. Is that you? Is that really what you want? Are you just going with knee jerk responses to external stimuli? Or are you choosing to do something. We are animals, but it is our ability to choose that makes us different. Its a pity that more people didn't chime in on this thread.

I am not sure if this falls into one or the other, but when confronted with stress I attempt to diffuse it. The same is true of confrontations with people. When that prooves to be useless then I fight. Like I said, I am bulky, and a poor runner.  :D I never found running from a problem to be useful to me. It only prolongs the time until I must face the challenge again.

I am not saying that I wouldn't feel fear, either. I am sure Swanson and many others here have been in situations far more fearsome than anything I have encountered. Standing  up to your problems does not mean you are not stressed by them or feel fear from them.

I can see where running is useful. I am too bullheaded to do so though. It might get me killed one day.

Anyway, I am rambling right now. Sorry. Long day.