Author Topic: Dehydrating Potatoes  (Read 44096 times)

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
Dehydrating Potatoes
« on: June 16, 2009, 11:12:15 AM »

I just finished dehydrating 10 lbs. of potatoes (peeled, blanched and then dehydrated) in my Excalibur... see a bag of potatoes before dehydration compared to the ziploc bag it yielded after dehydration. I will soon vacuum seal and store... but am so constantly amazed at the reduction in volume and weight and flexibility of storage this method yields. This is a great time to buy potatoes and dehydrate. I have found potatoes on sale in grocery stores for $2.99 for 10 lbs. Plus, when using later, it is a very easy prepared food... no peeling and shortened cook time.

My husband used some dehydrated potatoes to fry up last night with rave reviews...

First he rehydrated them in a bowl with boiling water for about an hour... then drained them and fried them in butter with salt and spices...

Crisp and yummy.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 11:15:22 AM by lvschant »

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
Re: Dehydrating Potatoes
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2009, 08:56:48 AM »
I'm a bit slow... but here are pics from the potato dehydrating process as requested :)

When you don't quite get the potatoes blanched all the way through, they look like this after dehydrating...

Don't even think about stealing my potatoes!

Enjoy.

PS: My husband can't ever wait for the potatoes to be fully rehydrated... he only waited 15 minutes this time. They still turn out fine.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2009, 09:02:19 AM by lvschant »

Offline LdMorgan

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2009, 10:00:03 AM »
getoffthex.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/1581055151/m/216102114

The above link leads to a very interesting site (one well worth a general read!) and specifically to a post about dehydrating potatoes with some pretty decent pictures.

I've never dried potatoes, so I was a little surprised that 20-lbs of spuds would reduce to 2 quart jars.

Apparently, running the dried slices through a blender is the key to ultra-compact storage.

First you take the water out, then you take the empty space out!

Ask any Irishman: Potatoes will keep you going through thick and thin. I read that before the Great Potato Famine, the average Irish manual laboror ate 14 lbs of potatoes a day.

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2009, 10:51:56 AM »
check out www.dehydrate2store.com - search videos for potatoes - I have 50# I need to shred and dry.... but the zucchini comes first!  :D

Offline theadob

• Survivor
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2009, 02:26:49 PM »
I have a 50 pound bag of potatoes.  For the last week, I have been dehydrating slices, cubes, and grated potatoes for my stash of food because I got the bag on sale for only $10 and they would go bad long before i could use them in their fresh state.

As I have been making grated potatoes for hash browns or soups, I started thinking, is it possible to make my own instant mashed potatoes in the dehydrator?  Have any of your tried this and if you did, how did you do it?

Now I know you can always make small pieces of potato and dehydrate them.  But I dont think thats going to get you a mashed potato state without actually mashing them.  My wife loves store bought instant mashed potatoes much to my horror.  I was thinking i could make them instead of buying them.

Offline donaldj

• Dedicated Contributor
    • Keep and Bear, LLC
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2009, 03:04:37 PM »
I would think that after dehydrating them, if you were to throw them in a blender and make a powder out of them, then reconstituting them would make them "mashed".

I really want to give this a try, now, as powder-like potato would store in a mylar bag in far greater quantity, and allow the O2 absorber to be far more efficient (less air space between pieces).

D

sarahluker

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2009, 03:39:14 PM »
You might try a courser grind and see how that works.

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2009, 03:41:32 PM »
according to the nice lady at www.dehydrate2store.com, you cannot make your own instant mashed pots.  they keep the shape in which they were dried.  (sweet potatoes are another matter - you can rehydrate those into mashed, if you like)

but....

I have been keen to try this idea of yours myself.  I also have (had) a 50# bag (2 actually) of potatoes.  I bottled some 36 quarts, and have eaten a good number of baked and french fries, but have been dehydrating almost constantly.  all in hashbrown shreds because that is something I know we will eat around here.  I have contemplated taking some of those, throwing them into my coffee grinder and making a potato flour, and then rehydrating that.  I should just do it.  I think mashed potatoes are on the menu for tomorrow dinner, so I will try it.  if not, well, I have plenty of fresh still to make traditional!
but if you try it too, let us know!

Offline donaldj

• Dedicated Contributor
    • Keep and Bear, LLC
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2009, 03:57:37 PM »
....  I have contemplated taking some of those, throwing them into my coffee grinder and making a potato flour, and then rehydrating that.  I should just do it.  I think mashed potatoes are on the menu for tomorrow dinner, so I will try it.  if not, well, I have plenty of fresh still to make traditional!
but if you try it too, let us know!

OK! If it's on the menu anyways I'm not going to try it, as I'd be going out of my way to do this. PLEASE let us know how this goes!

Offline theadob

• Survivor
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2009, 04:48:02 PM »
i guess you could also make mashed potatoes and then dehydrate that too

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2009, 02:30:03 PM »
I really got into potato dehydration this summer and dried about 60+ lbs of potatoes. I sliced most of them and cubed the rest... really easy to do and easy to use later... sort of like a homemade prepared food :)

Offline Lost_Airplane

• Prepper
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2009, 09:52:04 AM »
I dehydrate potatoes mostly cubed, and store them in quart mason jars with o2 absorbers.  I might try chopping some up in the blender next time.  I've become a dehydrating FOOL, even bought a second unit.  Love using them in the winter, they're like humidifying space heaters that smell good!  Jeff, St. Louis, MO

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2009, 12:36:00 PM »
Made a great potato soup using dehydrated potato cubes last week... it was a hit and very easy.

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2010, 08:44:24 AM »
I really got into potato dehydration this summer and dried about 60+ lbs of potatoes. I sliced most of them and cubed the rest... really easy to do and easy to use later... sort of like a homemade prepared food :)

Okay, I have cubed and dried some potatoes.  my question - how do I know when they are dry through and through?  the outsides are rock solid, and when I cut them open, about half are rock hard throughout, but I can make a mark with a fingernail on the inside of others.  I haven't cut them all open, but how do I test this?

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2010, 10:59:39 AM »
If in doubt, dry them longer? It won't hurt to let them stay in a few more hours. I'd want them pretty much rock hard through and through... just my opinion...

Offline MTMom

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2010, 03:18:42 PM »
Just wanted to share my experiments with dehydrating potatoes...
Experiment #1 for mashed potatoes:  I first cut them up and boiled them as I normally would for making mashed potatoes.  Then, mashed them as I also would normally do, except not adding any milk, butter, etc., just plain.  Next I spread them on my Excalibur trays and dried them.  Once they were dry, I put them through my blender to make a powder.  That all went smoothly, except that the mashed potatoes squeezed through the little holes on my trays and as they dried they bent my polyscreens quite a bit, and were challenging to get off the screens.  I tried re-hydrating them to check the flavor and texture.  They were very sticky like a thick glue....not like the fresh texture.  The taste was the same, and they are definitely edible, but I wanted to have a more normal consistency.

Experiment #2:  I repeated the same as I did the first time, with a few changes....instead of spreading the mashed potatoes directly on my polyscreens, I used waxed paper with two sides folded under the polyscreens to keep them from flapping around in the dehydrator (more Polyflexx sheets are on my wish list!).  Then I put the trays in the freezer over night.  (I had read somewhere that freezing the spuds after cooking them and before dehydrating does something to the cellular structure which improves texture.  I have no clue what exactly that is, but I thought I would give it a try!)  The next day I put the trays straight from the freezer into the dehydrator.  The re-hydrated texture was the same as fresh!!! (If you are more picky about not having 'chunky' mashed potatoes, I also found that you can run the cooked potatoes through a food strainer to get them super smooth....I used my Victorio food strainer.)

I suppose you can also freeze the cubed or shredded spuds before drying them, but our family isn't too picky about either of those. 

Anyway, give it a try and let me know if you have the same results!  So far I've done about 100# this way!

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2010, 03:29:53 PM »
+1 MTMom! It is amazing that the added step of freezing them would make such a difference.

Stop by the intro thread if you get the chance... we are glad to have you here.

Offline littletea

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2010, 12:37:28 PM »
Question about cubed potatoes - I'm working on some now.  I watched dehydrate2store and Tammy suggested cooking potatoes slightly before placing them in the dehydrator.  I did that already but it makes it more difficult to cube the potatoes since they are sticky.  For those of you who did cubes - did you put them on the dehydrator raw or did you parboil?  Maybe I should have cubed them first and the slightly blanched them.

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2010, 01:25:00 PM »
Question about cubed potatoes - I'm working on some now.  I watched dehydrate2store and Tammy suggested cooking potatoes slightly before placing them in the dehydrator.  I did that already but it makes it more difficult to cube the potatoes since they are sticky.  For those of you who did cubes - did you put them on the dehydrator raw or did you parboil?  Maybe I should have cubed them first and the slightly blanched them.

I cut first, then blanched.  when I do shredded, I boil first then shred, but the cubes I cut first.  Haven't used them yet - I keep forgetting until it is too late to soak.

Offline antsyaunt

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2010, 07:07:16 PM »
I cut first, then blanched.  when I do shredded, I boil first then shred, but the cubes I cut first.  Haven't used them yet - I keep forgetting until it is too late to soak.

How long do they need to be blanched?  [I just bought some potatoes on sale, and I'm going to try to dehydrate them.]  Thanks in advance. 

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2010, 08:15:48 PM »
Figuring out the time required for blanching is a little bit of an art... I can now tell by looking at the potatoes if they are blanched all the way through... if you look up at the photos of my dehydrating project, you'll see what they look like if not blanched sufficiently (black parts were not blanched enough).

In general for the cubes I make a lot of, it seems like I need to blanch them for about 4 minutes (not overcrowding the strainer and room for water to circulate. The texture of the potato (either cube or slice) should look uniform in color all the way through.

Do one batch and you'll know...

Offline antsyaunt

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2010, 04:34:26 PM »
Thank you!  I've got it on my list for this week.  Hope I can develop the skill!

Offline Timbeau

• Prepper
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2010, 05:32:10 PM »
Am I crazy, or do the dehydrated potatoes taste a little sweeter than normal?  I notice this with carrots too.

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2010, 07:34:46 AM »
I hadn't thought about it... perhaps I should do a taste test...

Offline MD3C

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2010, 05:22:44 PM »
Thanks for the photos. I really enjoyed the finished product photo.
Great thread. I'm learning lots.
M

Offline dabucnut

• Survivor
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2010, 07:26:18 PM »
I finally got around to trying some potatoes in the dehydrator and was shocked at how small a vacuum sealed bag of 10 lbs of potatoes is! What a great way to store them. I cubed, blanched, and added them to a bag of dehydrated peppers for a breakfast mix.(Actually turned out to be two good sized bags) Can't believe I waited so long to try it. Awesome!

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2010, 09:08:41 PM »
You're going to love how easy they are to prepare when you're ready to eat them!

Offline Grasshopper2Ant

• Survivor
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2010, 12:52:32 PM »
Just curious.  What type of potatoes are you using?  I cubed and dried some Yukon Gold potatoes and they came out real starchy.  I don't think I cooked them long enough or added enough water.  I was surprised at how long they took to rehydrate.  I also tried to put the dried cubes into a food processor before hand to get them to rehydrate faster, but they were hard as rock and my food processor wouldn't grind them up -- they ended up just scratching the food processor bowl.

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2010, 01:12:16 PM »
I think I used russets mostly, although there could have been some Yukon gold... the favorite method of using them has been for fried potatoes. We don't have a lot of patience, so usually 15-20 minutes in the boiling water is as long as we wait before frying in butter. Seems to work for us...

I haven't tried making potato powder, although I think morning sunshine mentioned either here or another thread that she had done it... I would recommend trying either a blender or grain mill if your food processor isn't working well...

Offline CookingtoSurvive

• Prepper
    • Cooking to survive
« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2010, 09:17:50 AM »
Yes, dehydrated potatoes do taste sweeter then fresh. In fact this should hold true for any dehydrated vegetable or fruit. This is caused by the reduction of water. It is very similar to roasting vegetables. When water is reduced sugar is increased in a matter of speaking. Sugar is not actually increased but without the water you taste the sugar more. The reason they taste sweeter even after re-hydrating is that through the blanching and dehydrating process some of the cell walls have ruptured and are no longer able to hold water. THis leads to again the perception that the product is sweeter.