Author Topic: Maternity BOB  (Read 4896 times)

Offline spooky-1

• Survivalist Mentor
Maternity BOB
« on: October 12, 2009, 07:32:38 PM »
Ladies, I want to solicit your inputs.
My wife and I are due for our first child in Mar 2010. And since we all know the importance and purpose of a BOB in case SHTF, I wanted to take that same idea and apply it to our big day. I want to make a BOB for delivery day. This BOB should contain all the things needed to sustain my wife thru leaving the house in a hurry, the drive to the hospital, the delivery, the stay, and most important, her comfort thru the entire thing. So for you gals that have had children or know someone who has given birth what items did they have that made this process better or wish they had at the hospital that made them comfortable. Again, this is not for a traditional BOB (firemaking stuff, guns/ammo, water, etc) this is for sustained stay at a hospital during labor/birth. So far I have these items:

water
books
clothes for her

You see I need help!!! This is our first child and my first go round at making a Maternity BOB. Any thoughts, ideas? HELP LADIES!!!!!

Offline Kayzonara

• Senior Survivalist
  • No power in the 'verse can stop me being cheerful
Re: Maternity BOB
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2009, 05:47:49 AM »
-Some downloads/CDs of music she finds calming
-A photo of a loved one or calming/happy scene (your wedding photo, pic of the beach, an orchid, whatever) It can help to have that image to focus on.
-some relaxing aromatherapy-lavender massage oil for instance.  There are some specific blends, that have been formulated for the labor experience Birth With Love makes one:  http://www.birthwithlove.com/categories/itempage.asp?prodid=Labor+Ease+Massage+Oil%2DEarth+Mama
-some snack with protein (if they will let her eat during labor)
-something she likes to drink to keep hydrated.  Gatorade is good (labor is ALOT of work  ;D), or some kind of tea/juice.  In fact, maybe bring 2 or 3 things she likes to drink.
-comfortable pajamas/night gown.  Something loose, maybe with an elastic waist. 
-athletic sock full of uncooked rice.  This can be heated and laid on her abdomen to ease labor pains.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head, if I think of anything else I'll post again.

Offline mamabear

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2009, 12:20:02 PM »
First of all - CONGRATS! ;D

In my experience, I would have to say the most important thing to have is you, being calm and supportive,holding her hand.
For the ride there, I don't think any thing specific, unless she is having a lot of contractions, and wants something to squeeze.
Once she is there, they are going to wisk her off, help her change into a gown and start hooking her up to machines. Just be there with her when this is going on. Hold her hand.
Once that is finished, hold her hand. Rub her back if she needs it. This will be a chaotic time as nurses will be in and out checking on her and baby. Try your best to be right there and be comforting. Be the gopher. Every time she says she needs something, make sure she gets it. Food will most likely not be allowed. I don't know anyone that wants to eat though during labor. Drinks will be allowed, but they may only allow ice or water because you never know when a mom may need an emergency c-section.
When all is said and done and she has given birth, you will want pictures. Your wife may not want any of her, or she may not care. But you will and she will later. Bring your camera. Have the staff or family take a few of you guys together. She will also want comfortable clothes, elastic waist is absolutely correct. She will probably want pj's and will need a change of clothes for going home.  This will be the time that she will be allowed to have something to eat or drink. But be sure to check with the local hospital as they may not allow outside food or drink for her. It may have to come from the hospital kitchen. Check now so you can be ready if outside drinks are allowed. The hospital will provide soap/shampoo/etc, but there is nothing like taking a shower and brushing your teeth with your own stuff. Make sure to have small sample sizes of her favorite products in a bag ready to go. And most importantly during this time, be there and hold her hand. Even if she cusses you out and calls you names through the whole experience. She will forgive you when she holds that baby in her arms.

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2009, 01:52:32 PM »
I seem to recall you are in the land of enchantment... my youngest son was born in 2000 at University Med Ctr. in ABQ :) congrats to both of you.

I had good care there, but would change one aspect of the delivery experience there. I realize that new docs have to learn on someone, but the young fellow who was trying to do the epidural for me absolutely could not get it done. I suffered through two attempts and then the guy who knew what he was doing took pity on me. If you are at a teaching hospital, you might want to consider that (and if you are planning to use an epidural).

If you are expecting a boy, you should discuss whether or not you want a circumcision... they will ask that.

I didn't see anything for the baby in your list of things to bring. You'll want at least one very cute new baby outfit, baby blankets, the basic baby gear for bringing the little nipper home. I realize you'll have time to go back for that stuff after the arrival, but you probably wouldn't know what your wife's preference might be unless you ask ahead of time.

You'll also need a car seat (back-facing) for the trip home -- many folks who are new to the car seat world don't realize how to get it fastened down tightly enough... if you haven't already experienced this fun, try it out once before the real thing.

Did you put down house slippers? A nice bathrobe and house slippers will greatly add to the comfort level.

Another thing to think of... a nice and perhaps romantic gift for your wife is always a nice touch. Jewelry comes to mind... not a new vacuum cleaner or blender or even that coveted sun oven (although very useful).

Best of luck to you all!

Jennie_in_Iowa

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2009, 09:18:40 AM »
Hospital bedding sucks! The blankets don't keep you warm and the pillows are worthless, take at least one of each from home.

Warm stuff for baby is good to pack. A couple of extra baby blankets to pad the car seat.

Reading material. Most hospitals keep women for a couple of days, lots of time in bed, books are great. Nothing too serious or heavy though.

List of Those-who-must-be-told. (numbers for the announcement)

Reference materials. I don't know what kind of birth you're going for, but Dave and I did LOTS of research for the labor and knew we wanted no meds and no interventions, so I had printouts of everything we researched so that Dave wouldn't get flustered the day of and just cave to the Dr's suggestions.
Along those same lines, does your lady have a birth plan written out? that's important to pack.  If not, I highly recommend one. Map out plans for all contingencies and discuss and decide how y'all want to handle each one if it comes up.  The Drs and nurses dont even need a copy of it, just something to reference in the heat of the moment so decisions are made that no-one regrets.

Have a way to get important paperwork home neatly.

Extra batteries.

Extra clothing for you, birthing can be messy and you're in the splash zone.

Comb and hair ties.

List of names for opposite sex, just in case.

Breastfeeding supplies: nipple balm or lanolin, soothing nipple pads, nursing bra, Mother's Milk tea, nursing pillow, reference book, etc. 
I know I don't know you, and you don't now me, but excuse me for a moment because this is really important. Breastfeeding saves lives. You are the most important resource for your lady in the first couple of weeks of breastfeeding. You will need to help her and support her. The first two weeks are terrible! Her nipples will hurt, for me it was worse than the childbirth pain, her hormones will be going crazy and there will be times she'd rather throw the baby across the room than put it to breast. Help her get through those first couple of weeks without resorting to formula. Nothing safer for a baby in any sort of emergency than breastmilk.  Hurricane, disease, you name it, baby's best chance of survival is with Mom's milk for most of the first year of life.

Good luck! Congrats!

Offline spooky-1

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2009, 10:50:31 AM »
Ladies, thank you so much, you have no idea how much my list has grown, keep any and all suggestions coming. my son is not due until march 2010, so I'v got lots of time before my MatBOB will be ready

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2010, 09:40:34 AM »
Ladies, I want to solicit your inputs.
My wife and I are due for our first child in Mar 2010. And since we all know the importance and purpose of a BOB in case SHTF, I wanted to take that same idea and apply it to our big day. I want to make a BOB for delivery day. This BOB should contain all the things needed to sustain my wife thru leaving the house in a hurry, the drive to the hospital, the delivery, the stay, and most important, her comfort thru the entire thing. So for you gals that have had children or know someone who has given birth what items did they have that made this process better or wish they had at the hospital that made them comfortable. Again, this is not for a traditional BOB (firemaking stuff, guns/ammo, water, etc) this is for sustained stay at a hospital during labor/birth. So far I have these items:

water
books
clothes for her

You see I need help!!! This is our first child and my first go round at making a Maternity BOB. Any thoughts, ideas? HELP LADIES!!!!!

Hey Spooky... the time must be drawing near... how have the maternity BOB preps gone? You have to let us know about the arrival of the new little prepper!

Offline spooky-1

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2010, 12:49:55 PM »
Yeah, I am three weeks out (16 MArch) is whatthe doc said. so far we have a good M-BOB going taking into account what the hospital has given us as well as what I've learned here on the TSP forum. as soon as HE is here, I'll post PIX

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2010, 04:25:26 PM »
Well, if your wife is already at 37 weeks, you are doing great! Wishing her an easy delivery and good health to all! We'll be waiting to see those pix!

Offline spooky-1

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2010, 01:16:04 PM »
Warriors,

Allow me to introduce to you my newborn son (or as I refer to him: "Keeper of Thy Sacred DNA")

Born on 14 MAR, 1551 hrs, 8 lbs 1.8 ozs, 21 inches long

I have never fallen in love at first sight, until now...

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2010, 01:43:23 PM »
Warriors,

Allow me to introduce to you my newborn son (or as I refer to him: "Keeper of Thy Sacred DNA")

Born on 14 MAR, 1551 hrs, 8 lbs 1.8 ozs, 21 inches long

I have never fallen in love at first sight, until now...

beautiful!!!  There is nothing quite like a brand new baby..  they look nice, smell yummy, feel soft and have the most adorable sounds.  I think I want another one (new baby that is, not older child.....  :-\ )
congratulations to you and more especially your wife.  ;D

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2010, 03:33:54 PM »
What a beautiful baby (and I'm not just saying it) -- really! What a wonderful and exciting thing for you and your wife... I hope the delivery was easy and that your wife is feeling great!

Many congratulations from the entire family... (husband agrees that you have a fine-looking boy!)

LvsChant

Offline monkeyboyf

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2010, 08:41:22 PM »
Congratulations to you and your wife, Spooky.  He is such a blessing, I'm sure.  Looks like he wants a ham sandwich instead of milk ;D

Offline TexDaddy

• TSP Goat Wrangling Geezer. He is EVIL also.
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • I live in Texas. What country are you from?
« Reply #13 on: March 15, 2010, 09:43:50 PM »
Congratulations. Now you have something serious to prep for.

Offline OKGranny

• TSP Pooper-Scooper
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Death from the knees down
« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2010, 11:55:27 PM »
He's really honestly gorgeous (ok, I know wrong word for a boy but he is). Congratulations to you both and updated pictures once in a while would be really nice too.

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • Wanna have an adventure?
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2010, 11:58:55 PM »
March 14th babies are the best!!!!!!!!!!!  ;D  He's sooooo pretty.  *melts*

What's his name, spooky?

Offline OKGranny

• TSP Pooper-Scooper
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2010, 05:03:17 PM »
rofl since my son was born on March 15th I think he should have waited 24 hours to be the absolute best but the 14th puts him right in there. Oh definitely we need a name for the handsome guy.

Offline Sister Wolf

• The Tiffanator
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • Wanna have an adventure?
    • WilderWolf
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2010, 05:48:11 PM »
I beg to differ!!!!!!!  Your son was late, but we'll let him hang out with us cool kids anyway.  :D

<---- March 14th baby

;D ;D

Offline OKGranny

• TSP Pooper-Scooper
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2010, 10:38:04 PM »
My Mother always insisted he was early. She wanted him born on St. Patricks day, I told her after raising me she should have known children don't listen. Happy Belated Birthday Sister Wolf.