Author Topic: What are the risks of eating animal brains?  (Read 12797 times)

Offline Asclepius

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Klaatu barada nikto.
    • Prep Roll
What are the risks of eating animal brains?
« on: March 21, 2010, 08:27:08 PM »
In the rabbit starvation thread people mentioned eating the rabbit brains for the fat content, but for some reason I thought that eating the brains of animals puts people at risk of contracting prion diseases, like mad cow disease. Does anyone know more about this?

Offline 19114life

• Survivor
  • Life Is Good
Re: What are the risks of eating animal brains?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2010, 10:08:04 PM »
We have a disease in the deer here in Va. and they say it is consantrated in the brain and the spinal cord.  They say not to eat either in the hunting reg. manual.

Offline infobomber

• BANNED
  • Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2010, 10:11:36 PM »
We have a disease in the deer here in Va. and they say it is consantrated in the brain and the spinal cord.  They say not to eat either in the hunting reg. manual.

Commonwealth here....

What kind of disease? 

Would boiling or frying kill it?

Offline 19114life

• Survivor
  • Life Is Good
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2010, 10:25:19 PM »
Chronic Wasting Disease (CWD)  I havent seen anything about boiling the brains,  so cant help you there.  I live in shen.  county and as of last year I dont think there were in cases close.

Offline The Professor

• Tactical Skittle Assassin
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • All we have to do is create another universe
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2010, 12:25:14 AM »
Mmmmm. . .brains!

Used to get brain sandwiches at the big fall festival in the town where I grew up.

I guess it's an acquired taste.

The Professor

Offline Cool Blue

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2010, 05:38:16 AM »
Commonwealth here....

What kind of disease?

Would boiling or frying kill it?

If it's a disease caused by prions such as mad cow, then cooking or boiling doesn't work.

Offline Morgan96

• Survivalist Mentor
  • We Are The Knights Who Say.... Nnnutella!
    • Blog:  101 Centavos
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2010, 06:12:59 AM »
If you happen to be an honored guest at a desert Bedouin "goat grab", you may be offered the brains and/or eyeballs as a delicacy.

The risks of eating the brains are that goat brain zombie prion spores will cause zombiefication of your own brains, shortly deteriorating to a full zombie condition.

The risks of NOT eating the offered brains are deeply offending your Bedouin hosts, causing you to be sold into bondage to the next trading caravan.

Ha, just kidding about the being sold into bondage part.  Bedouins would never inconvenience an honored guest.  But they hardly tolerate zombies, and *will* kill them.  So, there you go,  animal brains not recommended.

Eyeballs are OK though, just close your eyes and pretend you're eating slimy grapes. ;)

Offline M14fan

• Prepper
  • RN
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2010, 06:49:27 AM »
CWD, Mad Cow and similar diseases contained in brains are variants of human Creutzfeldt–Jakob. Cooking does not protect you. Just don't eat brains or central nervous system components.

Offline Docwatmo

• May Ignite Spontaneously
  • Administrator
  • Survival Veteran
  • The Prepper Rising from the Ashes
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2010, 09:03:20 AM »
Many of us who served in Europe between 88 and 95 (Not sure if they expanded those dates) even if we didn't eat brains, are ineligible to give blood because of potential contact with Prion contamination.   Prion based maladies can reside in the body for 20 or 30 years before they cause symptoms.  So we are all potential time bombs.

I once read the effects of Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease and its a terrible way to die.   

Avoid brains

Offline Asclepius

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Klaatu barada nikto.
    • Prep Roll
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2010, 08:50:15 PM »
I'm told that even surgical equipment cannot be sterilized of prions, and must be thrown away when used on the CNS. I wonder if that's true. In that case, then cooking would certainly not work.