Author Topic: Rabbit Starvation  (Read 35919 times)

Offline ModernSurvival

• Just a Desperado Under The Eaves
  • Administrator
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Liberty is precious, fight to keep it!
    • The Survival Podcast
Re: Rabbit Starvation
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2009, 03:17:22 PM »
Note something I should have posted in this thread long ago.

One can survive on rabbit alone if one has to.  Key is eat the liver, kidneys and pancreas and if you are brave the brain.  There is fat on a wild rabbit just not in the muscle.  There is plenty in the liver, good to know if you even need to rely on wabbit for a while. 
« Last Edit: April 16, 2009, 03:15:04 PM by ModernSurvival »

Offline CountryRootsCityJob

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Yeehaw :D (Unicycles require little maintenance)
    • Building Rome... as fast as I can!
« Reply #31 on: March 26, 2009, 06:24:28 PM »
Okay, so I've read a lot more than I can understand at the moment, but the one thing I'm still looking to see is somebody tell me how cholesterol plays into this situation  ??? this is great and all until I have a heart attack...  just my 2cents
CJ

Offline ModernSurvival

• Administrator
  • Survival Demonstrator
    • The Survival Podcast
« Reply #32 on: March 26, 2009, 07:42:12 PM »
Okay, so I've read a lot more than I can understand at the moment, but the one thing I'm still looking to see is somebody tell me how cholesterol plays into this situation  ??? this is great and all until I have a heart attack...  just my 2cents
CJ

Yea, um about cholesterol unless you are slamming big macs and fries and sucking down ho hos and ding dongs don't worry about it. 

This may sound tinfoil hat but Americas cholesterol problems have NOTHING to do with animal fat or nut fat or seed fat.  It is all about..

Refined food
Partially Hydrogenated fats (synthetic fats)
B12 Deficiencies and the resulting effects of homocystine

Blood cholesterol is meaningless and I mean it 100% meaningless the issue is the plaques of it that accumilate on the walls of the arteries.  The artery walls in a young child are so smooth that not a speck of cholesterol can stick to them. They could chug melted lard and their "levels" would be through the roof a few hours later.  A few days later they would be back to nil because nothing could cling to the arterial walls, not a speck.

As we age they get rough and we have damage to them naturally and plaques begin to form, yet most of the damage is from refined foods and partially Hydrogenated crud.  This crud also begins to damage the body in other ways and by 50 years of age even if you live on liver, eggs and beef as staples do to failure of the body to absorb B12 most of us are highly B12 Deficient.  This allows the amino acid homocystine to go mental!  Creating massive damage to the arterial walls and damage from the plaques results in cardiac disease.

Hence our grand parents lived on eggs and bacon and lived to their 90s and no one even talked about cholesterol let alone tested for it and today the incidence of heart disease is growing like crazy.   

On this issue, trust me because I am not a doctor,  ;)
« Last Edit: March 26, 2009, 07:45:19 PM by ModernSurvival »

Offline CountryRootsCityJob

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Yeehaw :D (Unicycles require little maintenance)
    • Building Rome... as fast as I can!
« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2009, 06:01:35 PM »
So what you are saying is I can eat cheese and bacon and pepperoni and summer sausage! :o 

Hmm... my wife will never buy it :-\

Michael Masse

« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2009, 12:44:31 PM »
Sound like there is some very deeply ingrained info being distributed here.  Jack is right that cholesterol does not really tell us everything.  50% of people who fall over dead had a decent cholesterol level.  The very first indication for 33% of people that they have heart disease is that they fall over dead. No real warnings via discomfort or mild stroke etc. they simply had an episode and ended up dieing on the spot. 

Jack is also right in that your homocysteine is a more accurate measure of the health of you arteries.  The reason it is not commonly tested for is that the drug companies don't have a drug that will lower it yet so they don't test what they can not address with drugs. 

They have drugs that will lower cholesterol so they test for cholesterol so they can prescribe a pill even though cholesterol levels are not the most important thing to test for. 

That being said cholesterol does tell us some things.  In china for instance cholesterol over 150 is rare, in the US under 150 is rare.  They have very little heart disease we have a ton of it.

The definitive study (book) that everyone should read is called "The China Study."  It is a multi decade study done in China where they went from village to village and cataloged what they had to eat and the levels of health each village had. Because of the isolation of much of China and the differences in diet from village to village and region to region they were able to see which diseases if any were prevalent when certain items were included or excluded from their diet. 

The FACTS are in, the more meat, dairy or animal products you eat the worse your health will be, the less you eat the healthier you will be and longer you will live. 

Guys don't forget there is a Huge, Huge, Huge difference between cabs you get from eating Ores and chips to that of whole apples, carrots etc.. Done group them together and don't listen to someone who does.  They don't know what they are talking about.  An apple a day keeps the doctor away and the trash processed stuff keeps the doctor paid.

Check out the link.  Tony Gonzalez is a 245 pound pro football player who is vegan and follows the dietary recommendations of the china study.

http://www.ecorazzi.com/2008/01/25/nfl-star-tony-gonzalez-goes-vegan-sporting-world-shocked/

So back to homocysteine levels, the recommendation is for fewer than 11 micromoles per liter in men and 9 L in women ages 40 - 42. but even homocysteine levels this low has been associated with disease so many naturopaths will recommends homocysteine level between 7 and 8. Last time mine was tested it was at 4.  If you are an over weight guy or gal I would highly recommend getting yours tested.  I'm guessing folks in the plus sizes are going to be higher then 15.

Also as an FYI - as the diet in America gets worse and worse the effects on the population are starting at younger and younger ages.  Doctors were very surprised when autopsies were done on fallen soldiers who were sent back to the states during the Viet Nam war they found that these young men were developing early stages of heart disease.
Prior to this they had scene it only in middle aged folk.  Now they are finding the same levels when they perform autopsy on children from who are killed in wrecks etc..  The junk food, McDonalds etc. is really having its effect.

Guys don't forget there is a Huge, Huge, Huge difference between carbs you get from eating Oreos and chips to that of whole apples, carrots etc.. Done group them together and don't listen to someone who does.  They don't know what they are talking about.  An apple a day keeps the doctor away and the trashy processed junk keeps the doctor paid.
The low carb diets are a sham.

Offline Dr. Horrible

• Survivor
« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2009, 01:14:53 PM »
Tony Gonzalez is a 245 pound pro football player who is vegan and follows the dietary recommendations of the china study.
Gonzalez only experimented with veganism for a few months. By late 2008, he'd given up on both veganism and vegetarianism, though he does still try to avoid red meat.

http://www.all-creatures.org/cva/th-20080215-n.htm

Veganism is very, very difficult for omnivores to pull off without screwing their systems up badly. I'd advise anyone to consult their doctor and probably a handful of different nutritionists (none of the fad types, either) before attempting it. OTOH, cutting down on beef is probably something most Americans could stand to do...
« Last Edit: April 16, 2009, 01:21:12 PM by Dr. Horrible »

Michael Masse

« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2009, 01:47:14 PM »
Thanks Dr. for the post and link.  So an advanced athlete who weights 245 pounds and probably burning through 6000 calories a day needs to eat some meat.  As you say we could all live with much less and be better for it. 

Offline ModernSurvival

• Administrator
  • Survival Demonstrator
    • The Survival Podcast
« Reply #37 on: April 16, 2009, 01:58:52 PM »

The FACTS are in, the more meat, dairy or animal products you eat the worse your health will be, the less you eat the healthier you will be and longer you will live. 

I am sorry, no, "The FACTS are in" is not true.  To make this statement is to totally ignore reality, mountains of research and even the people that live in the very nation you point to, "China".  In China the poor do eat very little animal product (compared to the average American) but they eat plenty of it.  Pork is adored!  Further the wealthy in China (there are plenty of them) live almost exclusively on meat but they have the same "good health" as the poor.

Why?  The answer will tell you why it is temporary and why the Chinese will soon be in the same fat boat as the US.  Up until very recently China has had almost no "processed foods" specifically "partially hydrogenated" fats.  The reality is if you are physically active and don't eat crap that comes in a box most people will never be obese, never have high cholesterol or have any of the common modern illnesses.  Unfortunately for China moving more then half a billion people to city life in the past 15 years is reversing this trend and they will be in the same shit we are soon health wise.

Don't try to tell me the Chinese live on veggies and rice, I have been to China there is so much meat on the streets of Beijing it is insane, a carnivores nirvana!  If it walks, crawls or swims the Chinese will grind it and make sausage out of it.  

None of this "animal sources are bad" stuff ever acknowledges things like Italians that live on cheese, noodles and beef or French living on cheese, cream and fatty meats.

Michael Masse

« Reply #38 on: April 16, 2009, 02:38:05 PM »
It is not just processed foods.  Many of the remote villages have zero processed foods but some have an abundance of meat, and dairy products and they get more diseases and it is not the processed foods causing it.

You are right they do eat meat and those that eat the most have worsening health, they are not just as healthy.  For instance Asian women have a very low rate of breast cancer then they move to the US and eat the western diet and their percentages match those of Americans. Now the western mindset of eating a lot of meat is setting in to the wealthy in china and their health suffers for it.  In the remote settings they eats 1/10 the amount of protein that Americans do.

Some want to blame their genes. Well the Pima Indians of Mexico have the so called "Fat Gene" but you would never know it if you visited them in Mexico they are thin and health because their diets are better.  Once they move to the States and eat our diet they become huge and suffer all kinds of ailments.

Jack - I’ll send you a copy of the China Study if you’ll read it and then you can set me straight.  What do you think??

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_China_Study

Offline ModernSurvival

• Administrator
  • Survival Demonstrator
    • The Survival Podcast
« Reply #39 on: April 16, 2009, 03:13:30 PM »

Jack - I’ll send you a copy of the China Study if you’ll read it and then you can set me straight.  What do you think??

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_China_Study

I think a study launched to prove a point usually proves it.  The ones that interest me are the ones that are launched to prove a point and end up disproving it.  ;)  Seriously you can show evidence to prove anything. 

Inuit peoples have almost no modern disease at all.  They live mostly on seal and whale blubber.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2009, 03:19:47 PM by ModernSurvival »

Michael Masse

« Reply #40 on: April 16, 2009, 04:37:30 PM »
I think a study launched to prove a point usually proves it.  The ones that interest me are the ones that are launched to prove a point and end up disproving it.  ;)  Seriously you can show evidence to prove anything. 

Inuit peoples have almost no modern disease at all.  They live mostly on seal and whale blubber.

Yum the thought of whale blubber is making me long for dinner.

So the "mountains of research" you mentioned before is perfect and unbiased and you were able to sift through it all without wanting it to come to a desired conclusion but the China Study must be agenda driven?  Well interestingly enough the writer did start out with preconceived opinions a quote from the website says

“Early in his career as a researcher with MIT and Virginia Tech, Dr. Campbell worked to promote better health by eating more meat, milk and eggs -- “high-quality animal protein … It was an obvious sequel to my own life on the farm and I was happy to believe that the American diet was the best in the world.”

He later was a researcher on a project in the Philippines working with malnourished children. The project became an investigation for Dr. Campbell, as to why so many Filipino children were being diagnosed with liver cancer, predominately an adult disease. The primary goal of the project was to ensure that the children were getting as much protein as possible.

“In this project, however, I uncovered a dark secret. Children who ate the highest protein diets were the ones most likely to get liver cancer...” He began to review other reports from around the world that reflected the findings of his research in the Philippines.

So this is right up your alley.

I quote another Dr. “people always want to hear good news about their bad habits” and I think the “eat all the bacon and cheese burgers you want diet” turns your arteries in to a plugged up sausage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DbN9MZjzXS4

GUNN1313

« Reply #41 on: April 20, 2009, 06:50:05 PM »
I have to go with jack on this one to a point. If you look at the anatomy of people not only do you find that we are omnivores but are body's are set up to eat meat more so than any thing Else. Fat is a relatively "new" disease. Look at any hunter gatherer society they eat more meat but still  get good helpings of other food stuffs and are healthy. Now lets look for another reason that the Chinese might have poorer health in some places. Like the poorer places that have less meat have to do a lot more work just to stay alive then the places that have more meat. Humans as a whole are lazy the parts in china were meat is abundant people eat more than what they need and if food is easily available people work less to get it. Now I do not think that all the fake fats are harmful in moderation if someone were to eat mc'crappys say once every other month or so I do not think it would even be possible to track what that does to a person over a life time. The problem that we are having to day is that people eat out 3 meals a day.

Now back to topic. It would be all most impossible to starve from only eating rabbit. Provided that you ate it all including the stomach and its contents. Fallow the example of the wolf who is an omnivore as well and needs about the same "stuff" as humans. The most prized food on a fresh kill it the stomach and its contents. Having in it Lots of vitamins and minerals that the body needs to live.

Michael Masse

« Reply #42 on: April 21, 2009, 12:55:02 PM »
I have to go with jack on this one to a point. If you look at the anatomy of people not only do you find that we are omnivores but are body's are set up to eat meat more so than any thing Else.

I think you would very hard pressed to find any expert in human physiology that would claim that humans are predominately designed to eat meat.  I have heard on countless occasion that we are in fact do not have the make up of a predator like a cat who only eats meat but we are made to mostly consume plant life.

Interesting if you google around looking for any study that links Americans poor health with a lack of meat.  They all say the less meat you eat the better off you will be.
They all emphasis that the meat intake must good down and the plant food must go up.

Just shooting straight with the fellowship here folks.  As one who could live off beef jerky, steak, sausage, bacon etc.. I know that "live off" would in fact not be "live long"

http://www.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/03/23/healthmag.red.meat.lifespan/

http://health.yahoo.com/featured/7/10-health-habits-that-will-help-you-live-to-100/

Offline Dr. Horrible

• Survivor
« Reply #43 on: April 21, 2009, 01:10:58 PM »
Actually, what I hear from reliable nutritionists* is that Americans need to eat less red meat - not meat in general. The ones I know personally say we don't eat enough seafood, in fact.

* No New Age quacks need apply. Yahoo's particularly bad with these sorts; for example, check out the nutty Dr. Mao, who asserts microwaves cook by irradiating food and that they cause infertility. Be careful who you listen to.

Offline ModernSurvival

• Administrator
  • Survival Demonstrator
    • The Survival Podcast
« Reply #44 on: April 21, 2009, 01:48:49 PM »
Just keep in mind the source of all the funding of these studies, always the government.  The same government that brought us the food pyramid.  Do you know if you break down this pyramid down to carbs, fat and proteins and look at it that you get almost an exact match to cattle feed?

Just because the conventional wisdom tells us something doesn't make it true. 

Keep in mind grains have been used to keep the poor fed for thousands of years, corn and amaranth in the Americas, wheat and barley in Europe and North Africa, Rice and Soy in Asia, Wheat, Buckwheat and Quinoa in Africa.  It makes great finincial sense to convince the populous that gruel is good for us. 

This is one of those debates that a person who has made up his mind is almost impossible to reach.  To understand why to much carbohydrates in your diet is an issue one must understand things like glycogen responses.  One must look at the health of the mummies from Egypt that lived in a nutritionist Nirvana or grains, fruits, nuts, natural oil and honey with limited meat.  The work of Doctors Michael and Mary Eades have shown those mummies almost all had Type Two Diabetes. 

I have debated this issue so long I have gotten tired of trying to get people to listen about it.  There is plenty of information for those that want to find it.  Like I said show me chronic disease in the Inuit who live on whale blubber.  Show me chronic disease in the few remaining tribes in the Amazon that live on monkey, tapar and kudamundi.  It just isn't there, I have nothing against a balanced diet but meat isn't bad for you.  Now in our modern society often what is in the meat may indeed be bad for you. 

Offline Kwitzats

• Survivor
« Reply #45 on: June 23, 2009, 11:36:26 PM »
http://berkeley.edu/news/media/releases/99legacy/6-14-1999a.html

"the adequacy of a vegetarian diet depends either on modern scientific knowledge or on traditional food habits, developed over many generations, in which people have worked out a complete diet by putting different foods together"(Milton, a professor in the Department of Environmental Science, Policy & Management).

BTW there is much criticism for the china study but then again I have no idea since I haven't read it.

It is problematic that the best fat to store long term is the worst for you(trans fat IE Crisco)

I also have concern with eating the brains of rabbits since i heard about VCJD fron eating squirrel heads.

Offline “Mark”

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Freedom lovin' Canadian
« Reply #46 on: June 24, 2009, 08:47:19 AM »
I was actually B12 deficient a few years ago (in my early 20's). That was after two years of not eating meat. I know the symptoms I experience and can supplement as needed. However, it's been a while.

For those worried about colesterol, the first thing to do is cut out transfats from your diet. Our bodies aren't built to process them, and they take a long time to metabolize. Meanwhile, they lower good colesterol and send bad colesterol through the roof. If you do want to eat a processed food, the easiest way to avoid transfats is to get the fat free version -- but don't get anything with aspartame, which has been shown to cause cancer.

And it is possible to eat 6000 calories in a day on a vegetarian diet, but you have to eat all day long.

ThomasPayne

« Reply #47 on: July 06, 2009, 09:11:48 AM »
You only have to look at the early Inuit diet to see that people can survive very well on primarily protein and fat, with very little carbohydrates present in their diet. Outside of a few berries and fireweed, the Inuits ate nothing but fatty meats and had very low cholestrol levels. It's only been in recent years, when the Inuits have started adding carbs to their diets, have they started seeing diseases such as diabetes, high cholestrol, etc.
http://discovermagazine.com/2004/oct/inuit-paradox
Something to chew on,
Thomas

Offline LdMorgan

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #48 on: October 07, 2009, 04:08:27 PM »
It's a long term problem, if you're eating ONLY rabbit meat...

But I think eating some fatty but not very tasty parts of the rabbit is a remedy (esp. brains).

Those parts would be the tastiest parts of the rabbit.

One of the first sure symptoms of rabbit starvation is an intense desire to eats the slimiest, greaseast, yuckiest fat you can get your hands on because it just tastes so goooood!

A big handful of cold lard is like ambrosia, from what I've heard, only better.

Note that the human brain eats nothing except cholesterol--and rabbit starvation is the ultimate low-cholesterol diet.

sarahluker

« Reply #49 on: October 07, 2009, 04:21:23 PM »
Okay, I have a question.  Is this only about wild rabbit or is there a problem with domesticated rabbits?  I have thought about raising them and am curious about this. 

endurance

« Reply #50 on: October 22, 2009, 04:58:48 PM »
It's probably all rabbits since they tend to be really lean animals.  We should really have a thread on general nutrition, as it's a subject everyone should be aware of.  I've taken a couple courses in college on the subject and know the following basics:

1) You need complete proteins.  This can come from any animal source including milk, but on a strictly vegitarian diet it requires the right combinations to get a complete compliment of proteins.  For instance, you could die of malnutrition in short order (months, not years) if all you had was rice or beans alone, but beans and rice together provide a complete protein.  Each has a dozen or so essential amino acids, but both are deficient in 3-5 different amino acids that the human body cannot create.  However, since each has the amino acid the other is missing, you can have a complete compliment of amino acids (thus a complete protein) by eating beans and rice.

2) You need Omega 3 and Omega 6 fatty acids in your diet.  Both of these oils are essential; your body needs them for heathy cell function and metabolism, but cannot create them.  Your body can assemble incredibly complex lipid structures, but it cannot create Omega 3 or Omega 6.  Omega 3 is common in fish, almonds, and flax seed along with other seeds and nuts.  Omega 6 is much more common, found in corn, sunflowers, and other oils used in cooking.  You don't need much, but without 2-3,000 mg of Omega 3's a day, your health will suffer over time (although more likely years, not weeks).  Overall, some oils are essential in a healthy diet.

3) Carbohydrates are essential, too. Not that you need them to make up 60%+ of your diet like most Americans, but they are the most efficient fuel to burn for sustained activity.

4) Until the 19th century, mariners and explorers routinely died of Beri-Beri and Scurvy, while children in northern climates were stricken with Rickettes.  These are all vitamin deficiencies that are extremely rare now days, but could cause grave health consequences and even death in weeks to months.  Scurvy is from a lack of vitamin C and prevents the replacement and generation of new collegen in the body.  Without it, teeth will fall out, scars will re-open, and you will not heal from cuts and muscle tears. 

In conclusion, you could live a pretty long time like the rest of the world, with a diet of beans & rice with some oil to cook your fish or rabbit in and some fresh fruits and vegitables in your diet, but if you take any of those ingredients out, you're in big trouble.  Plan your preps accordingly. Storing vitamins makes a whole lot of sense, but remember to also store complete proteins, carbs and fats. The foods you can produce should take this into consideration.  If you can't store enough fruits to supply your vitamin C over the winter, consider storing some sproutable seeds, like Mung beans and Alfalfa seeds.  While the seeds contain no vitamin C, once sprouted, they're very rich in vitamin C.  Also wild rose hips are very rich in vitamin C. 

Son_of_the_Republic

« Reply #51 on: March 15, 2010, 04:29:00 PM »
It's a long term problem, if you're eating ONLY rabbit meat...

But I think eating some fatty but not very tasty parts of the rabbit is a remedy (esp. brains).

Yep,if you can stomach the eyes and other fatty bits this offsets the lean meat issue somewhat.

Son_of_the_Republic

« Reply #52 on: March 15, 2010, 04:33:18 PM »
If amino acids affect other chemicals in the body and some of those chemicals regulate emotion, then can food be effectively used to control mood disorders?  Or could diet be the cause of many mood disorders?

I remember reading about dietary chages introduced into British prisons and how a balanced diet seemed to have a positive impact on disorderly behaviour.

Son_of_the_Republic

« Reply #53 on: March 15, 2010, 04:36:38 PM »
I am sorry, no, "The FACTS are in" is not true.  To make this statement is to totally ignore reality, mountains of research and even the people that live in the very nation you point to, "China".  In China the poor do eat very little animal product (compared to the average American) but they eat plenty of it.  Pork is adored!  Further the wealthy in China (there are plenty of them) live almost exclusively on meat but they have the same "good health" as the poor.

Why?  The answer will tell you why it is temporary and why the Chinese will soon be in the same fat boat as the US.  Up until very recently China has had almost no "processed foods" specifically "partially hydrogenated" fats.  The reality is if you are physically active and don't eat crap that comes in a box most people will never be obese, never have high cholesterol or have any of the common modern illnesses.  Unfortunately for China moving more then half a billion people to city life in the past 15 years is reversing this trend and they will be in the same shit we are soon health wise.

Don't try to tell me the Chinese live on veggies and rice, I have been to China there is so much meat on the streets of Beijing it is insane, a carnivores nirvana!  If it walks, crawls or swims the Chinese will grind it and make sausage out of it.  

None of this "animal sources are bad" stuff ever acknowledges things like Italians that live on cheese, noodles and beef or French living on cheese, cream and fatty meats.

And don't forget our innuit cousins who live on almost 100 meat/fish diets.They eat a lot of raw innards too so cooking is not a factor in destroying ammino acids stored in certain organs.

Offline LdMorgan

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #54 on: March 16, 2010, 09:54:15 AM »
Aslink - +1 for you, man!.... ;D  You rock!

Ditto! +1!

Offline Schmidt

• The Bear Whisperer
  • Prepper
« Reply #55 on: March 21, 2010, 12:28:25 AM »
I don't really understand how this would ever be a serious problem for anyone. I do try to remove as much fat from venison as possible to make the meat taste less gamey. Guess I'll skip the all rabbit diet and go with the all bacon diet. Bacon tastes better anyway. ;)

1.  There are only three and no more then three sources of calories they are fat, carbohydrates and proteins.  Any calorie is one of these three.

Alcohol makes four. I wish that it didn't.

apriluk

« Reply #56 on: March 21, 2010, 03:17:20 PM »
I hope you don't mind me adding this,

Just to clarify the initial question as i have come across this discussion many times.

The thread has evolved to discuss some very important nutritional facts, which I have read and thoroughly appreciated the folks that have given their knowledge.

I have found that many people over the years have misunderstood or misread the question or statement. Please excuse me on this one but it pops up so often because it is often misread.

You would die if the ONLY thing you ate was rabbit. No vegetables, no fruit, no fish. (((true ! If you tried to live off any one single thing you would eventually die of malnutrition)

You would NOT die if the ONLY "meat" you ate was rabbit, but ate an otherwise balanced diet including vegetables, fruit and fish.  (((true)))

There is a huge difference in the way the statement is written or the question is asked/understood. It leads a lot of people to think that rabbit becomes some how toxic, if its the only meat available.

Sorry folks, just my two penneth,
Best wishes,
April 

Offline mash

• Dedicated Contributor
  • it's spork-tastic!
« Reply #57 on: March 21, 2010, 06:32:46 PM »
The body requires fat in order to process protein. If your diet is only protein the body uses it's stores to process it. Great at first if you want that lean look but bad long term if you want the alive look.

;D squirtin' coffee out my nose at work! thanks aslink +1

Offline Serellan

• REMF
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Diligenter et Fideliter
« Reply #58 on: March 22, 2010, 07:24:56 PM »

Offline Dainty

• Darth Dainty, Bunny Snuggler
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Making it work!
« Reply #59 on: March 22, 2010, 10:19:09 PM »
I found this commentary on the subject by explorer Vilhjalmur Stefansson fascinating:

"When a scarcity of game forced the Indians to consume only small animals like rabbits, they suffered from "rabbit starvation."

The groups that depend on the blubber animals are the most fortunate, in the hunting way of life, for they never suffer from fat-hunger. This trouble is worst, so far as North America is concerned, among those forest Indians who depend at times on rabbits, the leanest animal in the North, and who develop the extreme fat-hunger known as rabbit-starvation. Rabbit eaters, if they have no fat from another source-beaver, moose, fish-will develop diarrhoea in about a week, with headache, lassitude and vague discomfort. If there are enough rabbits, the people eat till their stomachs are distended; but no matter how much they eat they feel unsatisfied. Some think a man will die sooner if he eats continually of fat-free meat than if he eats nothing, but this is a belief on which sufficient evidence for a decision has not been gathered in the North. Deaths from rabbit-starvation, or from the eating of other skinny meat, are rare; for everyone understands the principle, and any possible preventive steps are naturally taken."
(Source)