Author Topic: Rabbit Starvation  (Read 35890 times)

Offline ModernSurvival

• Just a Desperado Under The Eaves
  • Administrator
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Liberty is precious, fight to keep it!
    • The Survival Podcast
Re: Rabbit Starvation
« Reply #60 on: April 21, 2010, 10:09:46 PM »

Alcohol makes four. I wish that it didn't.

Nope still three alcohol is considered a form of carbohydrate,

Offline Schmidt

• The Bear Whisperer
  • Prepper
« Reply #61 on: April 21, 2010, 11:44:59 PM »
Nope still three alcohol is considered a form of carbohydrate,

In nutritional stuff I've read they differentiate between the two. Not that it matters or is on topic.

The cure for rabbit starvation:

Wrap it in bacon!

Offline ModernSurvival

• Just a Desperado Under The Eaves
  • Administrator
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Liberty is precious, fight to keep it!
    • The Survival Podcast
« Reply #62 on: April 22, 2010, 07:40:11 AM »
Wrap it in bacon!

PLUS ONE!

On it being not a carb, alcohol is really a form of sugar but the body doesn't process it as a sugar, (that is why some "low carb" products use sugar alcohols as a sweetener).  The effect on blood sugar is neutral,
« Last Edit: April 22, 2010, 07:43:18 AM by ModernSurvival »

Offline sdcharger

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #63 on: June 04, 2010, 11:50:51 AM »
When I "diet", I eat more whole foods.  It takes more time, but cut out all the processed crap for a month and tell me you don't feel better and look better.

Different people with different activity levels and genetic predispostions will need larger or smaller levels of protien and fat, but this will be up to you to figure out yourself through experimentation.

Offline traildad

• Prepper
« Reply #64 on: October 15, 2010, 06:17:41 PM »
I thought the problem with not getting enough fat is about fat soluble vitamins. No fat in the diet means those vitamins can't be dissolved and and absorbed by the body. Is there more to it than that?

Offline CountryRootsCityJob

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Yeehaw :D (Unicycles require little maintenance)
    • Building Rome... as fast as I can!
« Reply #65 on: December 07, 2010, 11:00:27 AM »
I thought the problem with not getting enough fat is about fat soluble vitamins. No fat in the diet means those vitamins can't be dissolved and and absorbed by the body. Is there more to it than that?

Hey, Traildad made a good point here... does anybody... wait... I can figure this out :P

Here's my first discovery (Verdict: Traildad is correct):http://www.anyvitamins.com/fat-soluble-vitamins-info.htm
"They follow the same path of absorption as fat and any condition interfering with the absorption of fats would result in poor absorption of these vitamins as well."

So in conclusion, eat more bacon  ;D
~CRCJ

endurance

« Reply #66 on: December 16, 2010, 03:52:40 PM »
Fat is a lot more important than absorbing vitamins; it makes up part of healthy cell membranes, it sheaths nerve fibers, it stores energy...  If your diet is less than 5-10% fat, you are going to have health issues.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #67 on: June 09, 2011, 10:15:55 AM »

And rabbit
Nutrition Facts
Serving Size 3 oz

Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 64
Calories 175

% Daily Values*
     Saturated Fat 2.134g    11%
     Polyunsaturated Fat 1.386g    
     Monounsaturated Fat 1.93g    
Cholesterol 73mg    24%
Sodium 31mg    1%
Potassium 255mg    
Total Carbohydrate 0g    0%
     Dietary Fiber 0g    0%
     Sugars 0g    
Protein 25.82g    

Vitamin A 0%       Vitamin C 0%
Calcium 2%       Iron 11%

This is why rabbit meat is good for people who have had heart attacks or want to loose weight. I refuse to eat wild rabbit, only domestic, Wild rabbit is all dark meat and domestic is all white meat.

Cedar

Offline thezoo

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Wherever You go, there You are!
« Reply #68 on: June 09, 2011, 12:16:11 PM »
Several Easters ago I sat through a survival lecture given by our very experienced and very serious Commando Sergeant Major. ( Company First Sargent)

After he mentioned the fact that consuming rabbit meat only would cause fat deficiencies, a hand shot up at the back of the room.

Corporal Bulger was a known 'character' within our unit. We were never quite sure if he was really that stupid or really that brilliant.

His question was, "Well, Sir, you know how you was talkin' about rabbits, right?".

Blinking a few times, the CSM patiently answered "Yes..."

"And how there's not enough fat on them?"

"Yes...." the CSM cautiously replied, unsure about where the good Corporal was taking this.

"Well, what about their eggs?"

:o

The lectured ended early.
   where do you get rabbit eggs, id like to try them :rofl:

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #69 on: June 09, 2011, 01:58:36 PM »
   where do you get rabbit eggs, id like to try them :rofl:

The Cadbury Bunny.. or make your own http://www.instructables.com/id/Homemade-Cadbury-Creme-Eggs/

Cedar

Offline 1022

• Prepper
« Reply #70 on: October 31, 2011, 08:20:51 AM »
Rabbit starvation occurs because your body can't process more than 1200 calories worth of protein a day. In a survival situation one would probably burn through more than 1200 calories. As well some essential nutrients would not be obtained through the consumption of a protein exclusive diet.

This would lead to the body consuming itself to get the extra calories. In a long term situation this would stress organs like the liver and kidneys. I would deduce that death or illness would be from organ failure.

The key is fat. Like mentioned earlier there are no essential carbs, just fatty acids and amino acids.

Offline 1022

• Prepper
« Reply #71 on: October 31, 2011, 08:30:16 AM »
Yum the thought of whale blubber is making me long for dinner.

He later was a researcher on a project in the Philippines working with malnourished children. The project became an investigation for Dr. Campbell, as to why so many Filipino children were being diagnosed with liver cancer, predominately an adult disease. The primary goal of the project was to ensure that the children were getting as much protein as possible.

“In this project, however, I uncovered a dark secret. Children who ate the highest protein diets were the ones most likely to get liver cancer...” He began to review other reports from around the world that reflected the findings of his research in the Philippines.

[/quote

You conveniently forgot to mention that the liver cancer refereed to in this research was caused by carcinogenic afla- toxins contained in the mold growing on the peanuts, which was ground into their protein source of peanut butter. One of the salient points in Colin Campbell`s book the China Study.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #72 on: October 31, 2011, 12:59:02 PM »
When I hike, I burn 3,400 k/cals per average hike I calculated up in the past for a 9 mile hike 500 ft elevation with 27-31 pound back at 17% inclination at 70-80F, 62+% humidity.

In a comparison, a normal house dog burns 800-900 k/cals a day, where my sled dogs when I ran them were burning around 14,000 k/cals a day. There is NO WAY I could feed them enough feed to get that amount of energy, except for fat. I know that my trapper friends who ran fur traplines, fed beaver fat to the dogs as it packs alot of calories. My dogs just got beef fat, but their slump was 1/3 high end commercial dog food, 1/3 beef trim, 1/3 beef fat chunks and then water added and set next to woodstove half the day to make 'slump'.

I am not sure I would want to eat 'slump' myself, but something akin to it would be very good energy in a survival situation.

Cedar

Offline Shaunypoo

• Dedicated Contributor
  • "He is a platypus, they don't do much." - Phineas
« Reply #73 on: October 31, 2011, 01:24:51 PM »
mmmmmmmmmmmmm, slump.

inbox485

« Reply #74 on: October 31, 2011, 01:46:28 PM »
About the only thing you need to know about rabbit starvation:

http://inbox485.blogspot.com/2011/10/rabbit-starvation-is-myth.html

This is why rabbit meat is good for people who have had heart attacks or want to loose weight. I refuse to eat wild rabbit, only domestic, Wild rabbit is all dark meat and domestic is all white meat.

Cedar

I'm curious about this. The cottontail rabbit I've had was virtually indistinguishable from the New Zealand that I've had. I thought they were both white meat. Is there a subtlety that makes one dark and the other white?

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #75 on: October 31, 2011, 09:14:28 PM »
I'm curious about this. The cottontail rabbit I've had was virtually indistinguishable from the New Zealand that I've had. I thought they were both white meat. Is there a subtlety that makes one dark and the other white?

Now I am too. Did you have Eastern or Western Cottontail?

Cedar

inbox485

« Reply #76 on: November 01, 2011, 10:41:43 AM »
Now I am too. Did you have Eastern or Western Cottontail?

Cedar

I'm in SoCal so barring any odd migration, I'm assuming it was Western. The hind legs are as white as chicken breast, and the rest is about on par with chicken thighs. They seem to have much tougher membranes than domestic rabbits, but I had assumed that had more to do with being truly out in the open their whole lives. Other than that, if I took a cleaned cottontail and a cleaned New Zealand of equal size, I'm not sure I could tell you which was which.

inbox485

« Reply #77 on: November 01, 2011, 10:45:37 AM »
I'm pretty sure all the Cottontails in my area are these guys: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desert_Cottontail

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #78 on: November 01, 2011, 11:55:45 AM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Desert_Cottontail_area.png

That might be a difference? I am in Oregon and they are not in my area. I have seen 2 dressed wild Western Cottontails and they were both dark meat, like between domestic rabbit and dark chicken meat. I chose not to eat them due to Tularemia. Which is probably not common anymore, but I learned it in 4-H in 1977 and it has creeped me out since.

I am also spoiled in having 56 day old fryers which are tender that I can get out of the cages in the backyard or freezer  ;)

Cedar

inbox485

« Reply #79 on: November 01, 2011, 01:20:01 PM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Desert_Cottontail_area.png

That might be a difference? I am in Oregon and they are not in my area. I have seen 2 dressed wild Western Cottontails and they were both dark meat, like between domestic rabbit and dark chicken meat. I chose not to eat them due to Tularemia. Which is probably not common anymore, but I learned it in 4-H in 1977 and it has creeped me out since.

I am also spoiled in having 56 day old fryers which are tender that I can get out of the cages in the backyard or freezer  ;)

Cedar

Yeah. I pretty much treat wild rabbit as a potential blood borne pathogen vector until it gets cooked well. Honestly even that is probably paranoid on my part. From 2001 to 2008 there were a grand total of 16 cases in all of CA, and not one of them were from eating meat, and only a couple involved handling small game animals (and included direct contact with broken skin). Most were from fleas and ticks, a couple were from arthropod bites, and one interesting one was from getting cut while repairing farm fencing.  It seems like one of those things you stand a fair chance of getting anytime you contact any form of animal / soil / greenery / etc. but almost no chance from the actual eating of the animal. It is also notable that the odds of a healthy person dying from it are slim to none untreated and virtually zero with treatment. But yeah, if I can ever get my stinking rabbits to "breed like rabbits" I'll probably ease off the hunting anyway.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #80 on: November 01, 2011, 05:30:51 PM »
And that reminds me I need to go out and breed rabbits together today.. The last batch just went in the freezer. I am busy enough anymore that I breed them on the first of the month, then I never have to forget to write the breeding date down for the nextbox to be put in.  :)

Cedar

Offline apocalypticfiction

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
    • Apocalyptic Fiction
Rabbit Starvation
« Reply #81 on: February 28, 2012, 11:24:39 AM »
 ;) Just a friendly reminder: Don't mention rabbit starvation to Jack! He doesn't like it...LOL...had a great laugh on the latest listener call in episode. Thanks Jack!

Offline LvsChant

• Resident Master Mudder
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #82 on: February 28, 2012, 12:27:38 PM »
topic merged with old topic of same name...

LC

Offline HucksDaddy

• Prepper
    • The Rabbit Podcast
« Reply #83 on: February 28, 2012, 04:09:11 PM »
Wow! Zombie thread until merged.  I've always gotten a kick out of listening to Jack go off about rabbit starvation.
Thank God it is a myth, I'd be dead by now!

Melodee

« Reply #84 on: February 28, 2012, 04:31:21 PM »
Oh yeah, I've heard about rabbit starvation! Has Jack ever commented on it???   ::)   lol