Author Topic: Stability of explosive stuff under storage  (Read 1534 times)

Fred_47460

Stability of explosive stuff under storage
« on: August 26, 2009, 05:31:21 PM »
I put this topic here....although I'm not real sure it belongs here.
The story was posted on this forum about an old fellow going to prison because of his cold war arsenal that was found. The arsenal consisted of all kinds of things that can go BOOM. I was just wondering about the effects on these items (Grenades, ammo, rockets) due to storage. I immagine the TYPE of storage would make a difference. In the story, the fellow had them stored in a rented storage shed....which I would imagine would be less than optimum. Having absolutely NO experience with this type of thing I was just wondering if anyone could answer the question of stability and dependability of explosive type stuff when stored for long periods?? What types of storage is better, or worse for this kind of stuff?

Goatdog62

Re: Stability of explosive stuff under storage
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2009, 05:38:21 PM »
Mil-Spec stuff stores for a very long time in less than ideal conditions. The storage shed probably wasn't much worse or better than a lot of the forward deployed stuff our mil has now. Even poorly stored stuff, like the post Saddam stuff that I spent six months helping destroy in 03 and 04. Some of that stuff had been left for over 20 years with no apparent ill effects. Still went boom really well, which is how we disposed of it.

Civilian TNT and similiar can get unstable very quickly in like conditions.

Offline Orionblade

• Taffeta Boy
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Blacksmiths hit it while it's hot.
Re: Stability of explosive stuff under storage
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2009, 05:06:32 PM »
Yep. there's quite a few (civilian/commercial) explosives you don't want to let see freezing temperatures, or heat and humidity, or some rapid cycling between the two. Sometimes it goes boom on its own, and sometimes it gradually turns into somewhat corrosive goo that may or may not burn well.