Author Topic: How about a segment on Dutch ovens??  (Read 2215 times)

SierraPhotog

How about a segment on Dutch ovens??
« on: October 08, 2009, 11:41:39 AM »
A wonderful lady here at work just turned me on to Dutch ovens, and being a hiker/backpacker/camper, I think it sounds like a great way to do cooking that fits into the whole "head to the hills" idea of living off the land.  I borrowed a couple books from my friend on cooking with Dutch ovens, but wondered if it had been discussed in the past either here in the forums (only one hit on a search) or on Jack's podcast.  Maybe that might be a good topic starter...  I'm very interested in it!

Thanks!

Offline CheshireCat

• Prepper
Re: How about a segment on Dutch ovens??
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2009, 06:56:38 PM »
I love my dutch oven.  I used to cook all sorts of stuff in it back when I was cooking for more than myself.  They are heavy though, I dunno if you would want to bring one back packing. 

Now that you've got me thinking about it I'm gonna have to pot some meat and invite a few friends over....

-B.

Offline drthumbs

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2009, 07:05:35 PM »
naw, you would even want to skip the lightweight AL dutch ovens for back packing.

Not that Dutch ovens aren't great, they are.

I'm not sure that a podcast would be the best format for a show on dutch ovens.  It might be a little hard to pull off well and there is a TON of great info out there for dutch oven cooking.

But If Jack wants to give it a try, I'll listen

Offline LICountryBoy

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2009, 06:31:34 AM »
I'm interested in using one to cook in the fireplace myself.
I plan on cooking in the fireplace from time to time, until I get an insert anyway.

Offline ZedHead

• Prepper
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2009, 11:26:48 PM »
I am an avid user of Dutch ovens and would be happy to provide any additional help for such a show.

DO's are great and there are 'DOGs" (Dutch Oven Gathering) in areas where you get a chance to meet other people and try out their food. lots of these people are prep minded.

Offline soccer grannie

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2009, 09:02:28 AM »
I am an avid user of Dutch ovens and would be happy to provide any additional help for such a show.
Please consider posting some of your Dutch Oven recipes on the Recipe Board.