Author Topic: 23 Things REAL Burglars Know  (Read 45269 times)

OldManSchmidt

Re: 23 Things REAL Burglars Know
« Reply #60 on: January 07, 2013, 08:35:31 PM »
Daved, when I wrote that, I was thinking of a situation that happened not long before where I actually did have to break in to my own home or sit for hours waiting on the wife.  To my dismay, it took me about 5 minutes to find a way in and about 3 more minutes to be standing inside my own house without ever having unlocked a lock.   Yours Truly the Idiot Boy had left the bathroom window unlocked.  I found out that the toilet makes a very convenient step on the way in and that my nosy neighbors aren't nearly as observant as I thought they were.  I also found out that the edges of those stupid 1950's era aluminum awnings that everybody put on windows back then are sharp enough to draw blood.  That discovery led me to the discovery of several brand new curse words of my own invention as well as just how much blood can come from a superficial wound to the scalp.

Offline Luvmy45

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #61 on: January 07, 2013, 10:33:59 PM »
I have not seen any stats to this effect, so does anyone know..l are most home breakins done during the day or night?

I am assuming the day, as that is when no one is usually home and the neighborhood is the most empty.

Just curios, it seems like all the movie that we see the breakins are at night, and I'm thinking that's wrong.

Offline oktheniknow

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #62 on: February 07, 2013, 08:37:09 AM »
Great information.

We are moving to the country with a long drive so going to implement many of these.
I read on another forum about having thorny bushes next to windows and also crushed stone for pathways next to the house instead of concrete (which is silent). Keep ladders or anything that can be used as a tool out of sight and locked away. Video cameras (even if they are fake) are effective. Motion activated lights. 

You can get cheap or free plastic outdoor kids toys off of craigslist to put in the yard.

osubuckeye4

« Reply #63 on: February 07, 2013, 09:59:25 AM »
The sad reality is... if someone REALLY wants to break into your house, they are going to get in.

That being said, there are a ton of things that people can do to make their home less attractive to a theif and greatly reduce the odds of a targeted attack.

- The biggest one... don't post information about trips to Facebook or any other social media site. (even here). I had a buddy one time link me to a post saying how excited he was for me to travel out of town for his wedding, I politely asked him to remove the post. That's basically just an invitation asking to be robbed.

- Don't have loud conversations about expensive new purchases with trusted friends in public places. You never know when the busboy at the restaurant by day is a burgler by night, or if the person behind you at the grocery store is going to follow you home to case your place.

- Have a trusted family member or friend in the area come over and grab your mail (or put a stop on your mail at the post office) and newspapers for you if you're going to be out of town for more than a few days.

- Personally, I would advise against buying large ticket items at public places with cash. I know that credit is the devil, but, get a pre-paid debit card and use that for those type of purchases. Buying things with cash (large bills) makes you a target, especailly when you open your wallet and a potential criminal sees a bunch of 20's, 50's or 100's. If you're buying a pack of gum and carrying $20, not a big deal. If you're buying $900 worth of groceries at Costco and have $2,000 in your wallet in 50's and 100's... a robber/theif will notice that.

- ALWAYS lock your doors (home and car). You'd be amazed at how many burglers will just casually walk up to car or home doors and try them to see if they will open. I've seen it happen a few times downtown in the city with cars.

- Never leave any small object of sig. value out in the open (car or home). Example, don't leave an envelope full of cash sitting on your first floor kitchen table where it is visable through a window. Never leave an IPad on  your passenger seat of your car. There's not a ton you can do about TV's in your home, but you can avoid leaving watches, necklaces, earrings and other expensive things out in the open.

- Don't host large parties with lots of "friends of friends" in attendance. It's great to host parties, but make sure you know the vast majority of people who are attending. I mean, I know it's impossible to never have someone you don't implicitely trust inside your place, but you can definitely limit risk and not ruin your social life in the process.

- If you have a crew doing daywork on your house, keep an eye on them all day and make sure you go with a reputable company. If you're hiring a crew to do a long term project, definitely do your homework on them before hiring them. Also, make sure valuables are hidden or put in a safe (preferably one out of sight from the workers)

- If you have a really expensive watch, guns, and a ton of cash... invest in a safe (bolt it down).

Again, you can't 100% make your house burgler proof, but, simple things like that can go a long way. The biggest thing you can do though, is to just be self-aware of the way you're presenting yourself and your property to the rest of the world.

Offline ttubravesrock

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Born to be an Alaskan
« Reply #64 on: February 07, 2013, 01:02:03 PM »
You people are paranoid... That's not necessarily a bad thing though....

On the last page, someone mentioned chainsaws. Spend some time by your house with a chainsaw and figure out where you would use the chainsaw to enter the house. You can retrofit some rebar in these places pretty easily. If you put rebar in your door, you should probably let the fire department know though.

As for myself, my wife and I only lock the door if we will be gone for more than a couple days. Most of the time, we have our dog at home. That by itself is a huge deterrent. Back in TX we lived in a ghetto area where we had drug dealers and crackheads and random homeless people sleeping on the sidewalk, random gunshots in the night, etc. On our block, the only houses that had real dogs were us and the drug dealers. The only houses that didn't get robbed multiple times were us and the drug dealers. The only house that didn't get robbed once was us. We never owned any guns either. FYI, we did lock our doors when nobody was home when we lived there.

Having a big dog (or more than one) is probably better than any security system you can buy. Better than having guns. Having a stupid little yippy dog will only help you if you are at home. Nobody is scared of your 15 pound dog, your neighbors are used to it barking all the time, and you are probably used to it barking all the time too, so it probably wont even get your attention fast enough. Having said that, I do not recommend that someone who has never owned a dog before go out and buy a German Shepherd that will grow up to be 120 lbs. You would be better off going to your local no kill shelter and finding a well mannered "senior" dog that you can take home to make the end of their life more comfortable. Maybe do that a couple times until you can find the right type of dog for you.

osubuckeye4

« Reply #65 on: February 08, 2013, 03:10:53 PM »
You people are paranoid... That's not necessarily a bad thing though....

As a young kid, I lived in a town that had a gigantic police force for a small and weathly population. I would agree that most of the things I listed above would be paranoia. People left their garage doors open all the time and there were very few robberies or home invasions.

Howver, I lived ghetto adjecent (there were 5 murders within a 3 block radius of my place in the span of a year) back in my early 20's with 6 other guys and it was a completely different story.

We had our back door kicked in one night by a burgler while I was out of town. One of my roommates who was in town came down, gun drawn, and held him at gunpoint until the cops came. My roommate asked him why he picked our place and the robber said he heard another of our roommates talking about all the nice stuff he had bought with his stipend check when he was at Chipotle with another buddy.

You really never know who is listening to what you're saying or observing your actions. That being said, if you're at a nice steakhouse in an affulant subburb, your odds of being tailed/targeted are extremely low. If you're at a McDonalds in the ghetto and pay for your cheeseburger with a hundred dollar bill, you're kind of painting a target on your back for people to rob you.

Better to have a healthy level of paranoia than to be completely oblivious and get all your nice stuff taken.  :)

Offline NWBowhunter

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Got Elk!
« Reply #66 on: February 25, 2013, 01:42:34 PM »
Hit for the second time now at my rental. I been renovating. They took everything that wasn't nailed down or had the slightest value from outside. Including the Costco tarp garage. They didn't gain access to the interior this time.

Put up trail cams to try to identify where they are coming from.

Offline ncjeeper

• Most Noble Order of the Garter Snake
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Oooops!
« Reply #67 on: February 25, 2013, 03:50:12 PM »
I have not seen any stats to this effect, so does anyone know..l are most home breakins done during the day or night?

I am assuming the day, as that is when no one is usually home and the neighborhood is the most empty.
Daytime mostly. You leave for work and they go to work (on stealing your stuff).

Offline allofthemonkeys

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Dutch Oven A Day
« Reply #68 on: October 05, 2013, 11:09:44 AM »
When I was an officer I learned another thing thieves will do is break into your car, or just open the door if unlocked, take a look at the address on your registration, take your garage door opener.  They will then back a truck into your garage, if there is room, close the door and take their time unseen.

Offline Oxymoron02

• Prepper
  • Caveat Lector
« Reply #69 on: November 10, 2013, 01:16:36 PM »
With the Giftmas blitz coming, it is also worth noting that boxes by the curb, especially those for fancy-shmancy things like big screen TVs and video game systems, even shipping boxes from Amazon, on trash night alert burglars to potential good stuff inside.

Last year, my husband broke down all the Giftmas boxes and cut them into 1 foot squares.  Every week, a square or 2 got mixed down deep into the recycling (we have 2 large roll away bins).  If he gets too much stuff this year, we're going to drive it to the county recycling center.  It's November, and he's almost done with last year's boxes (too much family shipping us stuff).

I view Giftmas burglary as another good opportunity to toss out a FB status to all my non-prepper friends.  I don't push, I just toss out the occasional bit-o-wisdom and hope they listen.  :D

Offline AvenueQ

• Dedicated Contributor
    • In Plain Sight
« Reply #70 on: November 10, 2013, 03:09:17 PM »
With the Giftmas blitz coming, it is also worth noting that boxes by the curb, especially those for fancy-shmancy things like big screen TVs and video game systems, even shipping boxes from Amazon, on trash night alert burglars to potential good stuff inside.

Also, if your employer is cool with it, have big ticket items shipped to your work. There is almost always somebody there to receive packages and can keep an eye on it if you can't pick it up right away. This is what I did with my computer that I just ordered and couldn't have it shipped to my PO Box.

Offline Oxymoron02

• Prepper
  • Caveat Lector
« Reply #71 on: November 10, 2013, 08:42:33 PM »
Also, if your employer is cool with it, have big ticket items shipped to your work. There is almost always somebody there to receive packages and can keep an eye on it if you can't pick it up right away. This is what I did with my computer that I just ordered and couldn't have it shipped to my PO Box.

And if your employer isn't cool with it, it pays to get to know your neighbors.  We have a SAHM homeschooling 4 kids on one side, a retired lady on the other, and another retired lady across the street.  The house behind us has someone home all day too.  Any of them would gladly watch for and retrieve a box if we needed them to.  And good luck to any burglar who thinks they wouldn't be noticed in my yard.