Author Topic: Ideas for securing the house in a bug-in situation  (Read 25178 times)

Offline LJH

• Dedicated Contributor
Re: Ideas for securing the house in a bug-in situation
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2010, 11:39:49 PM »
Oh gawd, I just hurt myself.  :D :D :D

Offline Ditch

• Survivor
« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2010, 06:08:22 AM »
Just watched DEATH WISH III last night, starring Charles Bronson.  Now he made some seriously hurtful devices that stops intrusion through a door or window.  One for example was a sheet of plywood with long nails driven throughout the whole board.  It was placed on the floor under a window with the nails pointing up, sort of a bungee effect.  The show scored some points on home defense against gang trouble.  Another device was a piece of wood at the door with a long pointed object (not sure what it was - knife maybe - no TIVO here).  When the intruder broke in the piece of wood came up and the sharp object penetrated the guys head.  Sort of like someone stepping on the wrong end of a garden rake and the pole comes back to hit them in the face. 
I guess we could all learn some things from the Road Runner cartoons too.  :)

Offline PAGUY

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #32 on: September 16, 2010, 06:51:14 AM »
The majority of these things that you have just talked about if used on a day to day basis or for that matter at all would put you in jail.  I watched the movie as well and yes it was entertaining but, be careful what you do because you could just end up in deep.  Most of what has been mentioned on here has been simple day to say things that will protect your home and keep you out of legal trouble. 

Offline Ditch

• Survivor
« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2010, 07:43:09 AM »
I was thinking though in a situation that warrants all defensive measures, we could utilize extensive precautions.  I would not recommend that these types of items be left set up 24/7 because you are right about the legal ramifications after the fact, but in a siege, it may become necessary.

I guess I was thinking along the lines of an unexpected intrusion, like at home, they sometimes occur in schools or businesses when a deranged nut goes off with a gun.  Some extra reinforcement may be a good thing.  Just having something ready to put into place may save our life.

I definitely agree with items that we need in place all the time though.  Those are what will stop most problems before they get started.

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2010, 10:20:33 AM »
Here is a product that will help secure windows in a house: http://www.shattergard.com/home.html

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Last Edit: September 16, 2010, 10:46:09 AM by Archer »

endurance

« Reply #36 on: September 16, 2010, 01:47:21 PM »
There's always a financial reality, a living with the solution day to day reality, and a the cure is worse than the disease reality to be balanced.  If you build enough of a fortress, you're trapped and unless your home is nothing but concrete, inside and out, one careless candle can kill you.  The same theory as tracers work both ways, many security solutions work both ways.  Steel shutters and/or bars on windows both protect belongings and kill people in much of the third world.  Single points of egress add security unless there's a fire by the one way in/one way out.  Jack even gets under my skin when he says how valuable it is to have one road into his property in Arkansas for access control.  That's fine until there's a wildland fire coming from that direction and you have no other way to escape.  Which is more likely, zombie hordes that you have to stop or a fire inside or outside the home?  How come two is one, one is none with everything except points of access/egress?

Offline soupbone

• Once made a pun out of "Mephistopheles"
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • If you think you're close enough - get closer.
« Reply #37 on: September 17, 2010, 05:32:00 AM »
Where do you draw the line between fantasy and reality? The reality is that come what may, most of us will never be in a SHTF situation like the L.A. riots. Most of us do not live in L.A. or places where those events are likely. If TEOTWAWKI comes, it will come "not with a bang but a whimper."

Yes, we should secure our homes. But we can do this cost-effectively. Heavy duty doors and frames, ballistic film over the windows, high security locks, landscaping, fencing, etc. You end up with a secure house that is camouflaged to look like any other house in the area.

Then take the rest of the money that you saved by NOT turning your house into the gold depository at Ft. Knox, and buy stuff with it - a wood stove with a water heater, a backup hand pump for your well, water filtration systems - stuff that in the unlikely event of TEOetc. you can actually use.

Last night, we had a severe windstorms in areas all around us. There was a possible tornado in New York City. Back in 1954, a tornado went through Cleveland, leveling several blocks. This is the kind of stuff we should be worried about, not mutant zombie bikini biker bimbos launching a battalion sized brouhaha against our bucolic bug out location.

It's not just you, Ditch, I've seen several threads along the same line. Its as if Step 1 of securing anything has been overlooked: Determining the ACTUAL PROBABLE THREAT. Sure, mutant zombies are possible, but then so is having your house being the centerpoint of a CEP circle for a nuclear strike.

Times are tough, and they're going to get tougher. We are going to have less and less expendable income for preps, so we have to be cautious and selective on what we spend money for. Landmines and lawsuits are not the way to spend money.

soupbone

Offline mxitman

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Entrepreneur/HVAC Mechanic/Electrician
    • Heezy
« Reply #38 on: September 17, 2010, 04:39:50 PM »
I  have done a few things for my house just based on friends places getting burglarized and for earthquake preparedness as we have the threat of a big one here in Seattle. My house has way too many windows, but luckily for me I only have 4 different sizes. I did this about 4 years ago, well before TSP...

I bought 8 sheets of 1/2" plywood and precut 5 of them for making covers for my windows, I drilled holes along the edge for securing to my house, with nails or screws. I left 3 of the sheets for extra and I have a Dewalt cordless circular saw, which I highly recommend to everyone to have along with other cordless items.

I keep all these items in my detached garage, along with enough nails, screws and other stuff to build a whole house. I also keep a few rolls of plastic sheeting available, along with roofing tar.

I had a basic wooden door that went into my basement, when I got a new steel door I kicked in the old one... it took literally no effort to break it even a 10 year old could it. I picked up a commercial security door, with steel frame for around $400... expensive but well worth it. My basement is concrete walls, so I secured the frame with 3/8 lag bolts all through out the frame. I've tried kicking on it to just see how it would hold up, it's solid!

I like to keep everything aesthetically pleasing as possible, so it doesn't stand out... But adding a dog recently was a happy edition to the family and security measures.

BTW, if I had a garage attached to my house I would put a high security door in my house that goes into the garage... it's very easy to get into garages and then through the flimsy or not locked door to the house.

Offline Dawgus

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #39 on: September 17, 2010, 05:31:35 PM »
 When I worked at the gun shop, we had these on the doors and windows. A local company installs them on both retail and residential building/homes. They're expensive, but well worth it in a bad situation.

http://www.stormshutters.com/rolling-shutters/security_rs.html

Offline daved

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #40 on: September 26, 2010, 11:50:59 AM »
On my walks through the neighborhood, I've been thinking about security a lot. I've been trying to look at neighbors' homes and see how mine stands out as a target in comparison. I've noticed quite a lot of security measures people have taken as well as things that make them targets. I've really come to believe that the best security you can have is to make your home into the one that the bad guy just passes by on the way to the better or easier target. While it might be a fun exercise to think about installing landmines / traps / whatever, it isn't realistic.
For most houses no matter what you do to fortify it against attack you are going to be vulnerable to fire. That being said, I think it makes more sense to protect yourself from intruders than it does to try to stop an invading army.
So - back to what I've noticed on my walks. I guess a list of good security measures vs. a list of bad things will work.
(In no particular order)
Good:
Dogs
Security systems
Deadbolts
Intelligent landscaping (no bushes to hide in etc)
Good exterior lighting

Bad:
Doors and windows left open
Garages left open (with things of value in plain view - tools, sporting equipment)
Houses that look like no one is around (uncut grass, no lights on, mail or newspapers piled up)
I just saw this one yesterday - a snowmobile on a trailer with no lock or anything - they might as well have put a sign that said "take me" on it.

Something else I noticed that may be an issue if the SHTF - it is somewhat obvious that some people have some preps. I don't know this for sure as these people aren't really close neighbors - just houses I've walked past, but I think I can pick out who is at least something of a prepper just by what their house looks like. It would probably be a good idea not to advertise that you have a bunch of preps if you can help it. Here's what I've seen that says prepper to me: big woodpiles, rain barrels, gardens, older 4 wheel drive vehicles, etc. Obviously you can have this stuff and not be a prepper, but it is at least an indication.

To sum all that up, here's what I would recommend for securing your house:
1) Keep it nondescript - don't advertise your good stuff.
2) Follow good procedures regarding keeping things closed and locked.
3) Dogs and alarms can't hurt, but don't rely solely on them.
4) Get some good locks and use them.
5) Keep things well lit at night

I've had my car broken into a few times and it was always because I forgot about number 1. I had a stereo (when I was younger) or tools (more recently) that were in plain view. If those things weren't visible I firmly believe I would have been left alone. The same thing applies to your house pre or post SHTF.
You should blend in to the other houses around you in terms of what you have, but stand out from them in terms of how difficult it would be to get inside. No one wants to go through a bunch of trouble for no reward.

endurance

« Reply #41 on: September 27, 2010, 08:37:43 AM »

To sum all that up, here's what I would recommend for securing your house:
1) Keep it nondescript - don't advertise your good stuff.
2) Follow good procedures regarding keeping things closed and locked.
3) Dogs and alarms can't hurt, but don't rely solely on them.
4) Get some good locks and use them.
5) Keep things well lit at night
Some excellent points.  After watching several episodes of It Takes A Thief on Discovery, it became clear that internal security was another layer of protection people miss out on.  Good safes and locking filing cabinets that are bolted down and locked are valuable tools to protect your most prized possessions.  I have two, one main gun safe and a smaller one for jewelry and handguns when we're not around the house.  I still need to get a locking fire-resistant filing cabinet to allow me both easy access and secure storage of important documents.  While they still might take the DVD player and TV, they're not getting the good stuff without having their work cut out for them.  The goal is delay, delay, delay while the dogs are barking, the alarm is wailing and the neighbors are peeping out their windows dialing 911.

Offline Ditch

• Survivor
« Reply #42 on: September 27, 2010, 05:15:33 PM »

Last night, we had a severe windstorms in areas all around us. There was a possible tornado in New York City. Back in 1954, a tornado went through Cleveland, leveling several blocks. This is the kind of stuff we should be worried about, not mutant zombie bikini biker bimbos launching a battalion sized brouhaha against our bucolic bug out location.

It's not just you, Ditch, I've seen several threads along the same line. Its as if Step 1 of securing anything has been overlooked: Determining the ACTUAL PROBABLE THREAT. Sure, mutant zombies are possible, but then so is having your house being the centerpoint of a CEP circle for a nuclear strike.

Times are tough, and they're going to get tougher. We are going to have less and less expendable income for preps, so we have to be cautious and selective on what we spend money for. Landmines and lawsuits are not the way to spend money.

soupbone

Rationalizing our future, none of us can really determine what each home needs to be completely defensive without going overboard.  I too realize the fact that I can build the best bunker, but will at some point have to step out.  My current home can be taken with a butter knife through the siding.  Its scary because signs of the MS13 gangs are becoming more and more prominent, and I live in God's country.  Defending the common foe may be easier.  We too had wicked storms recently, and we are totally prepped for this type of problem.  Its the other issues, such as a recent threat to my person that made me post my land with No Trespassing signs on the borders.  Times they are a changing and so is my age.  Women are especially easier to victimize, so I feel it more necessary to prepare my home and future on a simple income.

Offline DDJ

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #43 on: December 16, 2014, 11:05:01 AM »
I read somewhere, and have not read all of the replies so I hope I am not reposting a responses, a suggestion to put some tarps on the roof board up the windows and apply some black spray paint to the outside of the house when boarding it up.  This makes the house look there was a fire.  Nothing good left after a fire right.  You could also spray paint the door and lower walls with "labels" making it look like the house is pre stripped.  Things like "thanks for taking the copper". 

If you do these things you would need to blackout any unsealed windows and enter and leave form the back a quietly as possible.  The chimney throwing smoke, heat or hot water would be a sign of the ruse as well.

Offline keebler

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #44 on: December 16, 2014, 01:50:21 PM »
I have a slopeing piece of property, the lowest window to get into ,I bought a piece of Cast Iron porch Railing from Lowes   mounted it in that spare Bedroom window framing. works for me- & I am alone- so all that room has is (stuff). no tv..no valuables in site. October thru April smoke coming from my Chimney more than likely. don't attempt to break in- I hate cleaning up messes. & I really don't want to waste tomato Juice to cover the blood splatters.
Keebler.