Author Topic: Security Window film  (Read 10359 times)

Offline jbenich

• Fledgling Prepper
Security Window film
« on: October 10, 2011, 08:53:05 PM »
Does anyone have experience with any of the various DIY ballistic window films out there?

I'm considering buying a roll via Amazon and would install myself.
Does it work?
How difficult to install?

Thanks!

Offline Docarchilles

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: Security Window film
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2011, 08:54:07 PM »
My wife and I bought it and bubbles a bit more than I would like but for most part looks okay. We got it from a security website but I am sure amazon has pretty good quality and if not it gets slammed in reviews.

The you tube videos are pretty cool of people trying to break the window

Offline TexDaddy

• TSP Goat Wrangling Geezer. He is EVIL also.
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Forum Veteran
  • I live in Texas. What country are you from?
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2011, 11:16:44 PM »
We have it and love it. Get the thickest you can afford.

It was definitely worth it to me to pay someone to install it. The two professionals that did ours finished our entire house in about the time it would have taken me to do two window. Also, ours is up with no bubbles, because these guys knew what they were doing.

If you do it yourself, I strongly recommend you have a helper. After watching the two guys do ours, I would say it takes a minimum of three hands.
"I went down Virginia, seekin' shelter from the storm.
Caught up in the fable, I watched the tower grow.
Five year plans and new deals, wrapped in golden chains.
And I wonder, still I wonder who'll stop the rain."

...A quote from the book 'Mataroda' comes to mind:
'To do more than your best is impossible, to do less is unthinkable'
WWCD = What would Cedar do?

Offline soupbone

• Once made a pun out of "Mephistopheles"
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • If you think you're close enough - get closer.
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2011, 08:47:02 PM »
The real purpose of security film is to keep the window pane in one piece when subject to blast overpressure or penetration. It is best installed with a catch bar behind the window. Without film, window glass tends to splinter into jagged shards which can do as much damage to someone in the room as the blast itself. With the film, the glass is blown in as a unit - still dangerous but nowhere near so as unprotected glass.

If I remember correctly, the standard test is the detonation of 50 kg of unconfined TNT at 100 m. To keep the window pane intact, at least a 10 mil film is required, and the film must be securely attached to the window frame.

Film does not make your windows bulletproof, nor does it prevent the window from breaking if hit by a rock or brick. What it will do is prevent glass splinters from veg-a-matic-ing anyone unlucky enough to be caught in the blast.

You might be better off by going through a local window contractor rather than buying something over the net. This may be much more expensive, but you can be sure of what you get. Some out there might try to pass off UV protective film as ballistic film: "let the buyer beware".

soup
Get into an argument in a tent. When she storms out, she can't slam the flap.

Offline Sheepdog627

• Fledgling Prepper
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2012, 07:18:20 AM »
We're looking to do a large remodel job in the near future and found this:
http://www.shattergard.com/home.html
In looking at their videos, it seems to be exactly what I'm after.  It won't stop bullets, but everything else seems to be stopped.
Good luck!
"While there is nothing morally superior about the sheepdog, the warrior, he does have one real advantage. Only one. He is able to survive and thrive in an environment that destroys 98 percent of the population."
Lt. Col. Dave Grossman

Member - MSB

Offline hillclimber

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2012, 08:29:47 AM »
My wife works in R+D for a natural holistic health company. A few weeks ago the moved to a larger lab in a commercial area. My wife spent a day and a half putting up that stuff on all the windows.
It goes on like thick window tint. Use a mild soap and water solution and a squeegee to get rid of your bubbles.
"A shotgun, a rifle, and a 4 wheel drive, a country boy can survive"

Offline notsofast

• Survivor
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2012, 01:22:35 PM »
Really, any tint will hold the window together. And yes, you need at least 3 hands to put it on.  You need a certain type of blade to cut it or you can ruin your windows. The secret to the bubbles is baby shampoo and the direction you squeegee the tint. And making sure,damned sure, the window is clean.

Always try to use your factory edge on top. When you squeegee the water/shampoo out start in the middle, one pass to the left and right. Come an inch or so from the top and squeegee up for the entire length then the rest to the sides and down. Not really hard to do... Just hard to do right.

Did a house yesterday, as a matter of fact.

We have a roll of armor at the shop. I don't think it's ballistic but, if ya want you can msg me and I'll .
check, if it's enough we might can sell it to ya.

"This is why we do what we do."- Me

"If you're not worried... You're not paying attention."

Offline Bennington1776

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Do you have a plan?
    • Preparedness Consulting Group, LLC
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2012, 02:29:31 AM »
jbenich

What did you decide on?

If you put a film up did you do it yourself or hire someone to do it for you?

Any pictures of the results?

Offline Rayray250

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2013, 12:58:17 PM »
Did my whole house in shatter guard over the last couple months.

I did a window a day, sometimes two.  Once you get the hang of it and especially if you standard windows its not hard.  It will take a few tries at prefabbing the film.

I took a TV tray and set it next to the window.  Cleaned and scraped the window (shatter guard gives you tons of tools with a roll of their stuff).  Had a sprayer ready with baby shampoo and distilled water mix in it.  Lay the film sticky side up over the TV tray.  Peel cover film off and spray liberally the backside of the actual film, place it on the window and then spray the window film again and follow squeegee instructions.  Cut any excess off and spray and squeegee again.

Very happy with the purchase, I still had some left over and want to do a test run on a scrap window once I get a hold of one.
If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace. -- Thomas Paine

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2013, 01:09:21 PM »
Did my whole house in shatter guard over the last couple months.

I did a window a day, sometimes two.  Once you get the hang of it and especially if you standard windows its not hard.  It will take a few tries at prefabbing the film.

I took a TV tray and set it next to the window.  Cleaned and scraped the window (shatter guard gives you tons of tools with a roll of their stuff).  Had a sprayer ready with baby shampoo and distilled water mix in it.  Lay the film sticky side up over the TV tray.  Peel cover film off and spray liberally the backside of the actual film, place it on the window and then spray the window film again and follow squeegee instructions.  Cut any excess off and spray and squeegee again.

Very happy with the purchase, I still had some left over and want to do a test run on a scrap window once I get a hold of one.
excellent! i wonder how it works. let us know the results of your test. take pictures!

From a friend: Benjamin Franklin once said that beer is proof that God loves us.
I'm of the opinion that Redheads are proof that, contrary to popular belief, Satan also loves us.
My small blog: http://journeytogreenerpastures.blogspot.com/

Offline Rayray250

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2013, 05:05:10 PM »
I need to locate an old window!
If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace. -- Thomas Paine

Offline sdcharger

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2013, 07:57:40 PM »
There is a reason they install this stuff on every government building at home and overseas.

Offline soupbone

• Once made a pun out of "Mephistopheles"
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • If you think you're close enough - get closer.
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2013, 12:58:42 PM »
There is a reason they install this stuff on every government building at home and overseas.

Yes, but to be truly effective, according to "the Book", it must be at least 10 mil thick for the first three floors and attached to the window frame, not just stuck on the glass. Also, mount catch bars on the inside of the windows. Remember, too, to leave at least one window breakable for emergency exit. This is not just 'my opinion', I've seen the tests and results.

soupbone
Get into an argument in a tent. When she storms out, she can't slam the flap.

Offline Bennington1776

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Do you have a plan?
    • Preparedness Consulting Group, LLC
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2013, 11:05:43 PM »
I need to locate an old window!

Try craigslist, backpage or your local Re-Store if you have one.

Offline sdcharger

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2013, 03:51:54 PM »
How thick is the standard window security film homeowners use to make it harder to break in or to hold you windows together during a storm?