Author Topic: World’s Most Secure House: A Zombie Bunker  (Read 10033 times)

Offline BlueHound

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Non Timebo Mala
World’s Most Secure House: A Zombie Bunker
« on: August 01, 2013, 07:16:16 PM »
World’s Most Secure House: A Zombie Bunker

The house, which looks perfectly normal but with a somewhat futuristic look, shouldn’t raise any eyebrows during the daytime. However, when night falls, the house takes on a completely different shape and form. The huge concrete blocks sitting beside the windows start to swing shut, and a huge iron shield is rolled down at the back of the house. The only way to get in or out of this zombie fortress is really through the drawbridge that swings down over the pool area outside.

http://www.bitrebels.com/lifestyle/worlds-most-secure-house-a-zombie-bunker/

"Since the general civilization of mankind, I believe there are more instances of the abridgement of freedoms of the people
by gradual and silent encroachment of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations."
--  James Madison
“It is the duty of the patriot to protect his country from his government.”

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Does not fall well with plastic guns...
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
Re: World’s Most Secure House: A Zombie Bunker
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2013, 07:42:20 PM »
the magazine 'recoil' did an article on this house in their first or second issue. pretty cool setup.

Offline bdhutier

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Defensor libertas
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2013, 08:22:41 PM »
I want one!!!
Tolerance is the virtue of the man with no convictions.
-- G. K. Chesterton

So go do some PT, then by all means take some ninja classes.
-- Chemsoldier

Offline Mr. Bill

• Like a hot cocoa mojito
  • Administrator
  • Forum Veteran
  • Trained Attack Sheepdog/Troll hunter
    • Website maintenance services by Mr. Bill
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2013, 08:53:14 PM »
The architectural style is a bit office-building-ish, but I like the general idea.  I've never really understood why houses in 2013 are still built so flimsy.  Heck, if I had something solid and soundproof, I could even tolerate living in closely-packed suburbia.

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2013, 09:52:55 PM »
While doing a search for "blockhouse construction" on google, I recently stumbled across a video of the architect explaining the design features of this house and was disappointed to learn that it's not quite the above ground bunker it would appear. 

According to the video, those thick walls and window shutters aren't actually concrete, but rather are made of stained plywood screwed to a light weight steel frame with insulation fill in between.  You'd think the Poles would be a little more worried about bad guys shooting at the house, but maybe times have changed.  I guess it would still qualify as concealment, but maybe not quite cover.

It's still cool, though!
Axis II: deferred

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Still trying to reason with hurricane season.
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2013, 10:47:36 PM »
According to the video, those thick walls and window shutters aren't actually concrete, but rather are made of stained plywood screwed to a light weight steel frame with insulation fill in between.  You'd think the Poles would be a little more worried about bad guys shooting at the house, but maybe times have changed.  I guess it would still qualify as concealment, but maybe not quite cover.
A lightweight kevlar liner contained in the wall panels would go a long way to remedy this.  Not the same as 45cm of concrete, but still a lot more protection than plywood.  Even as it is though, it might be reasonably difficult to break into.

It's still cool, though!
Agreed!  Though its gray color makes us think of concrete, which is intimidating in its own right, perhaps a more wood-like color would be truer to its construction.  (Yes, I know wood frequently weathers to gray.  Still...)  Probably a cultural difference between Polish architects and (mostly) American survivalists.

But sure, it's a darned nice and well though-out house, and pretty in its own way.

Artes sunt magis quam instrumenta.

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2013, 06:29:56 AM »

Offline joeandmich

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2013, 08:05:33 AM »
In Florida its mandatory to build your houses out of concrete block since Hurricane Andrew devastated south Florida in 1992. However the roofs are still wood but with hurricane straps attaching everything together.

We just went up to Colorado and were surprised to see that they make multi level buildings out of 2 x 4's and plywood. Very disconcerting.

Joe
Whataaaah!!!!

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2013, 09:13:47 AM »
In Florida its mandatory to build your houses out of concrete block since Hurricane Andrew devastated south Florida in 1992. However the roofs are still wood but with hurricane straps attaching everything together.
I don't think that edict covers the entire state.  For example, in NW Florida I see wood construction all the time.  Solid, well-braced wood to be sure, but wood nevertheless.

Offline joeandmich

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2013, 09:30:27 AM »
I don't think that edict covers the entire state.  For example, in NW Florida I see wood construction all the time.  Solid, well-braced wood to be sure, but wood nevertheless.

I'm sure there are plenty of pre 2010 building made of wood. The original South Florida Building Code was not made into the Florida Building Code until 2010.
Whataaaah!!!!

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2013, 10:11:53 AM »
I'm sure there are plenty of pre 2010 building made of wood. The original South Florida Building Code was not made into the Florida Building Code until 2010.

There seems to be some disagreement on this matter, including by the state building code.
http://www.ecodes.biz/ecodes_support/free_resources/2010Florida/Residential/PDFs/Chapter%206%20-%20Wall%20Construction.pdf

Offline joeandmich

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2013, 12:55:37 PM »
There seems to be some disagreement on this matter, including by the state building code.
http://www.ecodes.biz/ecodes_support/free_resources/2010Florida/Residential/PDFs/Chapter%206%20-%20Wall%20Construction.pdf

I'd hate to live in a 2 x 4 house when a big storm comes by. Look what Sandy did to New Jersey and that storm even though was a large storm it was nowhere as strong as Andrew.
Whataaaah!!!!

endurance

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2013, 01:44:50 PM »
I'd hate to live in a 2 x 4 house when a big storm comes by. Look what Sandy did to New Jersey and that storm even though was a large storm it was nowhere as strong as Andrew.
No matter what, if you live at a couple feet above sea level and there's a 20' tidal surge, all the concrete block in the world is NOT going to keep you safe or keep your house standing.

As for Colorado construction, if you look at the buildings that survived the worst of the Black Forest fire it was the metal horse barns.  The house right next to it would be burned to the foundation, but the barns survived. Makes me think my next siding will be aluminum or steel.

edit: archer: added NOT
« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 02:24:24 PM by Archer »

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2013, 02:25:07 PM »
No matter what, if you live at a couple feet above sea level and there's a 20' tidal surge, all the concrete block in the world is NOT going to keep you safe or keep your house standing.

As for Colorado construction, if you look at the buildings that survived the worst of the Black Forest fire it was the metal horse barns.  The house right next to it would be burned to the foundation, but the barns survived. Makes me think my next siding will be aluminum or steel.

edit: archer: added NOT

make a concrete monolithic dome like Dome of a Home: http://domeofahome.com/

From a friend: Benjamin Franklin once said that beer is proof that God loves us.
I'm of the opinion that Redheads are proof that, contrary to popular belief, Satan also loves us.
My small blog: http://journeytogreenerpastures.blogspot.com/

endurance

« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2013, 02:30:49 PM »
make a concrete monolithic dome like Dome of a Home: http://domeofahome.com/

LOL, I live in the real world.  Convincing my wife it's time to replace the siding is tough enough. ;D

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Does not fall well with plastic guns...
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2013, 09:38:13 AM »
shoot, no longer for rent!?!?! i missed it... :(

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2013, 01:50:16 PM »
LOL, I live in the real world.  Convincing my wife it's time to replace the siding is tough enough. ;D

true.... i know how that is

From a friend: Benjamin Franklin once said that beer is proof that God loves us.
I'm of the opinion that Redheads are proof that, contrary to popular belief, Satan also loves us.
My small blog: http://journeytogreenerpastures.blogspot.com/

Offline armymars

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2013, 03:10:25 PM »
   I think the codes have changed again. My brother who lives do there is everything down there must meet be engineered design each and every for building. No one plan Ok for everyone who copies it. If the architect OK's it , it's good to go. They no longer take into account the wind zones anymore.

Offline ttubravesrock

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Born to be an Alaskan
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2013, 04:31:51 PM »
Are there any pictures of the top? I would imagine that you could have a pretty sizable garden up there.

Offline BlueHound

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Non Timebo Mala
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2013, 04:44:19 PM »
Are there any pictures of the top? I would imagine that you could have a pretty sizable garden up there.

This is the closest view of the top that I can find.  I looks like it's got some solar panels up there.

"Since the general civilization of mankind, I believe there are more instances of the abridgement of freedoms of the people
by gradual and silent encroachment of those in power than by violent and sudden usurpations."
--  James Madison
“It is the duty of the patriot to protect his country from his government.”