Author Topic: Advice for securing doors and windows.  (Read 5831 times)

Offline Gulo gulo

• Senior Survivalist
  • Sic semper tyrannis
Advice for securing doors and windows.
« on: August 01, 2013, 07:59:31 PM »
Pretty soon we're found to upgrade the exterior doors of our house. I'm  looking for recommended products. We got smart key kwickset deadbolts already, are these good or is there a better brand I should take a look at? I'm also looking at getting the Armor Concepts EZ armor off of Amazon for reenforcement, any opinion on them? Also, what type of screws are best for installing all this?

The front door also has two huge picture windows on either side of it, this will all be futile if all it takes to gain entry is to break one of em and step in. What film products should I take a look at? One of the windows lets in considerable amounts of sun, so uv blocking would be a plus.

Offline Gulo gulo

• Senior Survivalist
  • Sic semper tyrannis
Re: Advice for securing doors and windows.
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2013, 08:12:29 PM »
And where can I find these security hinges I keep hearing about?

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Does not fall well with plastic guns...
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass

Offline Gulo gulo

• Senior Survivalist
  • Sic semper tyrannis
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2013, 08:24:04 PM »
Ah, good! Even found a dealer. Great stuff!

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2013, 08:25:31 PM »
yeah, i need to get some of that. we have a small window by our front door and all it would take is a rock and someone is in the house. i have an additional lock on the door up near the top, but that's more to keep my kids in than a burglar out.

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Still trying to reason with hurricane season.
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2013, 10:53:08 PM »
I'm also looking at getting the Armor Concepts EZ armor off of Amazon for reenforcement, any opinion on them? Also, what type of screws are best for installing all this?

Review here: http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=40655.0
Pretty good stuff.  And – bonus! – they come with all needed screws.

Offline mxitman

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Entrepreneur/HVAC Mechanic/Electrician
    • Heezy
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2013, 09:06:10 PM »
If you haven't bought your doors yet, I would go to a door store only type of company and order a high security type door and frame. The ones we got are steel framed veneered with wood and have 3 windows on top that aren't glass but ballistic plastic. Just enough to see out and even if you could get your arm through to the locks you need a key on both sides, but we keep one nearby for safe egress.

They also are European Mortise locks with integrated steel bolts, 3 bolts at the handle and 1 at the top and 1 at the bottom, one turn of the lock simply locks the handle, another full turn secures all the bolts.

The downside of course is the cost, our front door was $3800 and the back door was $2200...but it sure is nice.

Offline MississippiJarhead

• Survivalist Mentor
  • I never learned from a man who agreed with me.-RAH
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2013, 05:27:25 AM »
We got smart key kwickset deadbolts already, are these good or is there a better brand I should take a look at?
I used to do trim carpentry (the guys that key and install the locks on a new home) and cannot recommend any Kwickset products. They have a bad reputation among the trim guys I know. Schlage is my brand of choice and the choice of many others. Weiser used to be good but if the locks on my house were any indication they're now no better than Kwickset. I had to replace two (out of three) of mine under warranty and gave the replacements (and the remaining original) to a friend and put Schlage in my house. Locks are not a place to be cheap.

I'd probably keep what you have until they start messing up, which will probably be within a few years.

Offline fred.greek

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2013, 09:27:55 AM »
Folks, remember that if your door has windows beside it, such that if the glass is broken out the bad guy can just reach in and turn the lock, application of window film does not stop the window from being broken out of its frame…

Offline MississippiJarhead

• Survivalist Mentor
  • I never learned from a man who agreed with me.-RAH
« Reply #9 on: August 04, 2013, 01:15:56 AM »

Offline chuck_3

• Survivor
  • Half Prepped
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2013, 11:36:49 AM »
Ditto on the metal door and metal frame advice.  They will come with strong hinges, most likely.  If you have to go with wood frame, use 3 1/2 inch screws on the hinges.  News reports in Dallas a few months back reported home invasion technique where they didn't try to breach the lock side of the door but rather went for the hinge side. 

I have Schlage locks my self.  I had Medeco in a commercial building, and despite getting beat up they still held and looked presentable. 

One strong caveat - and very important.  If you are using double key deadbolts, and I would recommend that for security, leave a key in the lock at night if you are at home.  Otherwise, you create a fire trap for yourself.  I consider an alarm a necessity.  You cannot patrol your interior and sleep, when things break down.  And, when you are not home, professional burglars want, or so my insurance agent told me, they want two exits in case someone comes home.  So, even if they were able to breach a door, they would have to breach a second to be a good burglar.  Agent says real pros will leave without two ways out. 

Also, I use door braces against the door knobs when I am at home and carry one for motels when I am on the road.  I had a friend who laughed at mine but his wife liked it and got one for her mother.  He told me that when they had to get in, it was no problem.  He just broke the old wood door in half getting in.  She was OK, BTW. 

Offline theBINKYhunter

• Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Not a tactical baddass
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2013, 10:48:16 PM »
Coincidentally, This just in:
http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2013/08/kwikset-smarkey-lock-vulns/

:o

wow... i have kwikset on my house... maybe it is time to look at upgrading the hardware.

Offline ResidentCelt

• Senior Survivalist
  • Doing my best on 1/3 acre
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2014, 08:43:07 AM »
I just wanted to second the recommend on the EZ Armor (I put it on all my doors). Comes with the hinge side reinforcements too. Thankfully I haven't had to see mine in action but the thickness of the metal and length of the screws are both satisfactory. I also liked that it comes with reinforcement that goes around the deadbolt and doorknob pin.

Offline roswelle

• Fledgling Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2014, 11:27:32 AM »
Security alarm system is much effective together with the tighten locks of every door and window.