Author Topic: I've been vandalized, dead rabbits, how do I respond now?  (Read 21226 times)

Offline r_w

• Dedicated Contributor
  • On my way
Re: I've been vandalized, dead rabbits, how do I respond now?
« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2013, 01:19:02 PM »
FYI, this would fall under Penal Code §42.092, Cruelty to Nonlivestock Animals, and is punishable as a Class A Misdemeanor for the first two convictions.  Depending on your county prosecutor, it could go as a state jail felony for the first two convictions.  The enhancements are state jail and third degree respectively, if the actor has the two or more prior convictions.

As stated, this is serious business.

and usually prosecuted with more vengeance than child abuse. 

Offline Scottman

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2013, 04:26:15 PM »
This is crazy!

2 cases

1. The animals are being raised for meat and they are livestock. If they found you butchered them they fall into this category I'd guess.

2. The animals are a living lawnmover and are not livestock.

nelson96

« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2013, 04:40:13 PM »
When I was a kid we lived where we had a lot of brush that was difficult to control.  So we got goats to keep it under control and used them as brush mowers.  We never bred them and we never ate them, we simply considered them pets.  The neighbors dogs were continually coming over and attacking them and eventually killed them.  The court system required the dogs to be euthanized and the owners to pay restitution. . . .  Because they were considered livestock.

Offline bdhutier

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Defensor libertas
« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2013, 06:14:18 PM »
1. The animals are being raised for meat and they are livestock. If they found you butchered them they fall into this category I'd guess.

Rabbits are not livestock under Texas law.

Offline Aniera

• Prepper
« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2014, 07:15:42 AM »
So I know this was last summer, but I just read this thread and now am very curious what the end result was.  Did anything happen after that threat and all? 

Offline BradliusMaximus

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2014, 11:18:32 AM »
I'm curious as well.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #36 on: May 16, 2014, 11:30:44 AM »
The OP has not been on TSP since August 30, 2013.

Cedar

Offline AngusBangus

• Survivalist Mentor
  • W5DAA
    • Thoughts from Dillon
« Reply #37 on: June 27, 2014, 10:23:46 PM »
As my old boss in the Navy said... NUTS!!! That neighbor wouldn't last long in Mississippi. Killing people's animals is dealt with in kind. I have family that took care of someone over a dead horse (admittedly that was a few decades ago). Sleep in the hutch, perhaps???

Mississippi Code 97-3-15. (1) The killing of a human being by the act, procurement or omission of another shall be justifiable in the following cases:

(e) When committed by any person in resisting any attempt unlawfully to kill such person or to commit any felony upon him, or upon or in any dwelling, occupied vehicle or the building of a business during hours when the business is closed to the public in which such person shall be;

(f) When committed in the lawful defense of one’s own person or any other human being, where there shall be reasonable ground to apprehend a design to commit a felony or to do some great personal injury, and there shall be imminent danger of such design being accomplished

Mississippi Law defines a dwelling as: a building or conveyance of any kind that has a roof over it, whether the building or conveyance is temporary or permanent, mobile or immobile, including a tent, that is designed to be occupied by people lodging therein at night, including any attached porch;

Offline zeugirdor

• Fledgling Prepper
  • Suburban prepper with 6 kids and a dozen+ animals.
    • Focusing on your technology so you can focus on your business.
« Reply #38 on: December 30, 2015, 03:23:50 PM »
It's been a long time since I originally posted this but since returning to the forums, I was surprised that there were some requests for an update.

Firstly, my wife and I elected to put up some cameras and improve our home security situation and at the same time trying to take the target off of our backs by making our rabbit raising activities less obvious.  Overall we haven't had any further issues with this particular situation, but as things would have it, our improved security measures were effective in events that took place later on in the year (maybe a different thread for that one).

I've greatly improved our rabbit habitat and have found other ways to take advantage of the St. Augustine grass in the front with an old fashion mower with a catcher.  The rabbits don't like to eat the grass if it was caught in a bagging mower (I assume it's because the mower semi-mulches the blades) but they will eat what I cut with this thing like it is candy.  Our animals are all healthy and growing fast.  At peak (and by accident) I have had as many as 40 rabbits growing out at one time.  We are now enjoying 2 to 3 rabbit dinners a month.

Offline alan123

• Survivor
  • Prepping just makes sense
    • Made by Alan
« Reply #39 on: December 31, 2015, 08:51:53 AM »
I would like to hear more about your improved security. What you did and the results. Thanks.

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
« Reply #40 on: December 31, 2015, 09:47:38 AM »
It's been a long time since I originally posted this but since returning to the forums, I was surprised that there were some requests for an update.

Firstly, my wife and I elected to put up some cameras and improve our home security situation and at the same time trying to take the target off of our backs by making our rabbit raising activities less obvious.  Overall we haven't had any further issues with this particular situation, but as things would have it, our improved security measures were effective in events that took place later on in the year (maybe a different thread for that one).

I've greatly improved our rabbit habitat and have found other ways to take advantage of the St. Augustine grass in the front with an old fashion mower with a catcher.  The rabbits don't like to eat the grass if it was caught in a bagging mower (I assume it's because the mower semi-mulches the blades) but they will eat what I cut with this thing like it is candy.  Our animals are all healthy and growing fast.  At peak (and by accident) I have had as many as 40 rabbits growing out at one time.  We are now enjoying 2 to 3 rabbit dinners a month.

I would like to see more of your pasture set up in the backyard, and hear the story on the security measures.

Offline bdhutier

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Defensor libertas
« Reply #41 on: January 02, 2016, 06:54:36 AM »
Glad things are working out!