Author Topic: Portable wireless DVR/cameras  (Read 2264 times)

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
Portable wireless DVR/cameras
« on: December 03, 2013, 05:36:05 AM »
I've just started looking into putting in a security camera system and I'm trying to find out what's available and what others have used.

I have some 3 main requirements other than just a home security system.

It needs to be stand alone.  I don't want to get the cameras, transmitters and receivers but have to hook it to a computer to actually record.

I need it to be wireless.  This is kind of a no brainer.  Running a bunch of wires and punching holes isn't my cup of tea.  I know I'll be limited on distance, but if I can get 100' I'm good.

It needs to be portable.  I want to be able to use this when I'm home, but also when we go camping.  I intend to install several of the wireless cameras around the home, but also around the camper to ensure campsite security.

A nice to have is those tiny cameras.  They are much easier to hide and when I install onto the camper, it would be much cleaner to have a small hole instead of a security camera hanging off the wall.

I came across this system, Porta-DVR and Wireless Cam Kit but I haven't located any sort of reviews.  I also can't seem to find much in the way of competing products. Of course it's out of stock.

Anyone have any input to this?

F_M
Links currently broken. Will fix them shortly
Check out my blogs at The Homestead Fritz and Camping With Fritz

Offline rikkrack

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Permaculture Entrepreneur
    • Wolf-Beach Farms
Re: Portable wireless DVR/cameras
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2013, 07:35:25 AM »
don't have any recommendations that fit your needs. But would like to see the recommendations of others as I am looking for future improvements.

I installed my own, but have cords. Wasn't too bad. I would also suggest adding night vision or IR to the requirements. We caught kids breaking into my wife's car this way. 8 all weather cameras, cords, DVR, and I can connect to the internet and get smartphone notification when motion is triggered. Didn't have a monitor though, I used a spare computer monitor I had. $280

www.wolfbeachfarms.com

Co-Founder and Educator at www.midwestsustainable.org

Aquaponics/Permaculture Entrepreneur

"You have a moral obligation to screw the government every chance you can." G-pa Wolf

Offline fritz_monroe

• The Defenestrator
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
    • The Homestead Fritz
Re: Portable wireless DVR/cameras
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2013, 08:25:15 AM »
Yes, night vision is a good thing.  The reason that it's not on my mandatory requirements is that we have multiple motion activated security lights in the crucial areas.
F_M
Links currently broken. Will fix them shortly
Check out my blogs at The Homestead Fritz and Camping With Fritz