Author Topic: Moving. Chance to lower our societal footprint?  (Read 3496 times)

Offline scoob

• Senior Survivalist
  • Chicken-farming knuckle-dragger
    • Marksmanship, History, Civic Engagement
Moving. Chance to lower our societal footprint?
« on: December 06, 2013, 07:21:14 AM »
What are some considerations you would look at if you were moving to that 'dream bug-out'?  I'm mostly targeting the change of address part.

We're closing on our new place in the mountains just outside of the city probably by the end of the month.  BTW, it's 5 acres with a log home and a HUGE shop *insert Tim Allen grunt here*, in the forest, open south-facing slope, year-round stream near by, hour commute to work (except during snow season). 

We have nothing to hide, and we're not running from society, just improving our quality of life and picking up some acreage.  When I think of all the databases, agencies, and commercial entities that have our current address, I thought "Hmmmm... What if we could start over?"  Now, I know that's not reasonable.  My wife and I don't have this expectation that we're going to just disappear off the grid.  We'll still be commuting and working in town, paying taxes, ordering crap from Amazon, etc.  Our names and address will be easily found online via the county assessor website.  So, no real expectations of anonymity here.  I just figured we could drop off or divert a good number of the databases we're members of and lower our identity footprint somewhat... take some of the easy out of finding us, if you will. 

One idea:  I've thought about getting a PO or private mail center box to forward our current address to, and to use for things like commercial interaction (online ordering, etc.), an address to register internet domains, and an address to associate my ham call sign to in the FCC ULS.

Ditch the 'smartphone'?  There is no cell service where we're moving, so we'll break down and get a land line or figure out some form of VOIP (decent internet is available).  We'll still be in town quite often, so cell phones are probably going to remain a part of our lives...  probably  ;) 

Have you thought about what you would do, or have you had a similar opportunity and did or discovered things you could've done to lower your societal footprint?

What are some other things to consider relative to the topic?

Offline OutWestTX

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Long time prepper
Re: Moving. Chance to lower our societal footprint?
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2013, 07:40:58 AM »
As long as you own a car that is registered and you have a driver's license, it is pretty pointless to try to add layers by having your mail sent to a different address.  There is no such thing as anonymity any more. 

Commuting is the only problem I see with your plan.  It gets old.  I did it for years.  I finally "took the plunge" and got a job near home for half of my former income.  I love it.  It saves me 2 hours a day, maintenance, gas, nerves, etc.  It has more than made up for the lost income. 

Offline lettuceman

• Survivor
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2013, 07:50:55 AM »
I lost my job and expanded on the home front.  Now the commute is 150 feet and just think of the expenses on maintenance and fuel for the commute that are now saved.  It's like a large pay raise with the cost of gas these days.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2013, 08:14:13 AM »
One idea:  I've thought about getting a PO or private mail center box to forward our current address to, and to use for things like commercial interaction (online ordering, etc.), an address to register internet domains, and an address to associate my ham call sign to in the FCC ULS.

I have always had a PO Box for years. And I love it. If I don't want to go pick up the mail every day, it is great. Z usually picks it up when he goes to town. There is also the threat of mail being stolen out of your rural mailbox, so that is a concern which becomes nill. My name is not associated with this property at all. I even have the option of having my drivers license at a separate location (not maybe for long however).

Ditch the 'smartphone'?  There is no cell service where we're moving, so we'll break down and get a land line or figure out some form of VOIP (decent internet is available). 

I have an iPhone. I did not want one as I lived perfectly well for all my life until last year when Z had to get a new one and mine wasa penny more. Cell phones do not work within 6 miles of our place. So Z did a bit of research and we have an M-Cell here at the house. We can use our cell phones somehow through the computers and this M-Cell box. http://www.att.com/standalone/3gmicrocell/ I can get reception clear out at the Dairy Barn, but not at the North barn or anywhere else on the farm. It makes it so although we have a land line, we did not have to put any long distance coverage on it. We call locally on the land line, we get calls in on the land line and we make long distance calls (in the US, I cannot call Canada anymore  :'( ) on the cells.

Cell phones are probably going to remain a part of our lives...  probably  ;) 

They are handy. We do not go to town often and if Z is in town, he calls to see if we need anything else out here, as it is a PITA to have forgotten something we needed... and it might be a week or two before we head into town again. Z works here at the farm in his office, I work on the farm.. so we do not have to go anywhere very often.

Have you thought about what you would do, or have you had a similar opportunity and did or discovered things you could've done to lower your societal footprint?

I considered going black a year ago and only use the computer in town, taking my laptop to the library where they have free wi-fi. I got really good about that when I was traveling for 5 months and had no homebase. . I chose otherwise, but this is before all the Snowden/NSA other garbage came to light. If I had to do it again, I might feel stronger about going black, but I like TSP too much  ;)

Cedar

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2013, 08:42:31 AM »
and we like you too, Cedar!

OP: do not be complacent about the ability of retailers to send catalogues to your new address even when you have not told them you are moving.....

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2013, 09:03:38 AM »
OP: do not be complacent about the ability of retailers to send catalogues to your new address even when you have not told them you are moving.....

LOL.. no doubt! We never ordered ANYTHING from these catalogs (most we have not heard of) before.. but when you buy a house, the info from Escrow or something must get sold or something... as we got about 50 catalogs in the rural mailbox and "Welcome to your new home" coupons and such. It was RIDICULOUS how many trees they had cut down to fill our mailbox, even with 35% post consumer recycled paper..  :o

The DMV also sells your info to marketers when you get your new drivers license.

Also opt out of the online WHITE PAGES and stuff. Google stalk yourself for about 4-6 months. Look for the REALLY FINE  print when you find your name and opt out. I finally got that whittled down to old info from 15+ years ago and 2 wrong addresses.. WOO HOO!

Cedar

Offline inconel710

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Not-so-New TSP Forum member
    • My 13Skills Blog
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2013, 09:22:47 AM »
How To Be Invisible has to be the definitive guide to accomplish what you're talking about.  Lots of good advice in there on how to do it, but Mr. Luna acknowledges that it is getting harder and harder.  The bottom line is that varying levels of anonymity can be achieved, depending on how much money and effort you are willing to put into it.

Offline r_w

• Dedicated Contributor
  • On my way
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2013, 12:02:47 PM »
One of the big things you can do is buy the land through a trust, as far as casual footprint.  Google and .gov can still find you, but it will shield your name from lots of marketing BS.  No one can find your name through the courthouse searches (or online tax databases).  Doesn't help with the DMV selling the license database, though...