Author Topic: Anybody played with building/buying a 'personal drone'?  (Read 3358 times)

Offline ID_Joker

• Survivalist Mentor
Anybody played with building/buying a 'personal drone'?
« on: January 22, 2014, 06:02:30 PM »
I keep toying with the idea of an RC aircraft (likely helicopter or quadcopter) equipped with a camera as an addition to the homestead security plan.  Could potentially allow investigation/patrol of the perimeter of a large property without exposing yourself.  Plus, since it would invariable be electric, it would be rather quiet and unobtrusive.

I can also think of lots of everyday practical uses.
-- Need to do a perimeter fence check?
-- Want to see if there is anything in the mailbox before walking all the way down there?
-- Need to take an snapshot of your garden so you can plan changes for next year?
-- Gotta see what tripped the MURS sensor on the driveway?
-- ....And it would be a hoot!

Has anybody done much/any investigation of this idea?  I know you can get little copters pretty cheap or they can cost a crazy amount of money.  Seems to me the key criteria for making it useful would be (1) adequate range and (2) real-time data transmission back to the user (both for purposes of flying the machine as well as the mission-specific data.)  Another limiting factor would be what weather it could/couldn't fly in.

Thoughts?

Offline The Wilderness

• The Patriarch of Lunatics
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Dedicated Contributor
    • The Umbafa Chronicles
Re: Anybody played with building/buying a 'personal drone'?
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2014, 06:11:07 PM »

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2014, 08:09:23 PM »
CMX.

Cedar

Offline ID_Joker

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2014, 09:49:19 PM »
Here is a good thread on the subject http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=45427.0

TW

Thanks!  Not sure why that one didn't come up in my search.  What an awesome thread!

Offline SelcSilverhand

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2014, 08:44:45 AM »
Some quad rotors can be equipped with GPS and programmed to fly waypoints while taking photos or video. Having it done this way eliminates the range issues with radio.
I have a quad rotor drone that you fly with a smart phone over wifi. It has very limited range due to the wifi link between the phone and the drone. If I get a wifi router with a battery pack an antenna I can push out a lot farther. It does 720p video and stills and can fly for about 9 minutes.

Offline justanotherjoe

• Prepper
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2014, 02:19:05 PM »
A friend of mine has one and there are pretty sweet he has a camera that can transmit video as well. Check out http://diydrones.com/ there are a ton of automations you can do such as have it patrol a specified area. They are coming down a lot in price, I would give it another year though as they will continue to get better and cost less. As far as your mailbox there are a ton of things you can do to notify you of the box opening just google arduino mail box notifier

I keep toying with the idea of an RC aircraft (likely helicopter or quadcopter) equipped with a camera as an addition to the homestead security plan.  Could potentially allow investigation/patrol of the perimeter of a large property without exposing yourself.  Plus, since it would invariable be electric, it would be rather quiet and unobtrusive.

I can also think of lots of everyday practical uses.
-- Need to do a perimeter fence check?
-- Want to see if there is anything in the mailbox before walking all the way down there?
-- Need to take an snapshot of your garden so you can plan changes for next year?
-- Gotta see what tripped the MURS sensor on the driveway?
-- ....And it would be a hoot!

Has anybody done much/any investigation of this idea?  I know you can get little copters pretty cheap or they can cost a crazy amount of money.  Seems to me the key criteria for making it useful would be (1) adequate range and (2) real-time data transmission back to the user (both for purposes of flying the machine as well as the mission-specific data.)  Another limiting factor would be what weather it could/couldn't fly in.

Thoughts?