Author Topic: best windows bandwidth monitor and firewall?  (Read 2816 times)

Offline caverdude

• Survivalist Mentor
  • larrydgray.net
    • blog dot Larry D Gray dot net
best windows bandwidth monitor and firewall?
« on: June 01, 2015, 05:04:37 PM »
A quick search of web seems confusing. Where do I get the best reviews on a good bandwidth monitor and firewall software. Hopefully combined. I think typically these are separate. lately and I'm suspecting steam, because I installed 2 video games, I have had massive downloads as long as my adapter is on eating up what seems like gig's per day. I'm sick of this. We have this great tech and it can't give me a detailed idea of whats going on. I think its a conspiracy!  I should be able to see traffic by IP, Process, App, Thread. I should be able to with a click freeze anything I want. Then if something I was using quits working, that must be the culprit.

Offline caverdude

• Survivalist Mentor
  • larrydgray.net
    • blog dot Larry D Gray dot net
Re: best windows bandwidth monitor and firewall?
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2015, 05:19:31 PM »
I just installed something called net-peeker which does what I want. But I was wondering if anything might be better. This is $25 it looks like. Which might be well worth it if I can stop $15/gig daily downloads.

Offline never_retreat

• Survivalist Mentor
  • I am the Great Cornholio I need TP for my bunghole
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2015, 07:31:26 PM »
I used net limiter in the past. Works pretty good.
It will tell you exactly what programs are using what. You can also set it so you have to "allow" anything before it goes in out.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2015, 07:53:59 PM »
In my opinion ,the best firewall is hardware based...not software..

I suggest you use MALWAREBYTES ANTIMALWARE and get the spyware off of your PC.
It is the best,the free version is as good as the paid version ,though less automatic.
Once the malware in in your PC,it opens the door for more of it's buddies.

During install...read carefull and do not accept the FREE TRIAL and you will get the FREE version (same software as paid)

https://www.malwarebytes.org/

Offline outoforder2day

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Semper Ubi Sub Ubi
    • The End Of The Tunnel
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2015, 09:57:04 AM »
A quick search of web seems confusing. Where do I get the best reviews on a good bandwidth monitor and firewall software. Hopefully combined. I think typically these are separate. lately and I'm suspecting steam, because I installed 2 video games, I have had massive downloads as long as my adapter is on eating up what seems like gig's per day. I'm sick of this. We have this great tech and it can't give me a detailed idea of whats going on. I think its a conspiracy!  I should be able to see traffic by IP, Process, App, Thread. I should be able to with a click freeze anything I want. Then if something I was using quits working, that must be the culprit.

Steam will download what you tell it to. It will also automatically download updates to what you told it to download in the first place.  I believe this is configurable, but am unsure. Check Steam->Settings->Downloads. Most initial downloads are huge, often times bumping 20GB depending on the game. The updates can be that large as well, though they are generally much smaller. So, say you bought and downloaded Crisis. When an update comes out for it, steam will automatically download it.

To your other question: Bandwidth Monitor & Firewall. I would keep these separate. As Carl said, firewalls are better on separate infrastructure. A hardware router/fw combo is the first line of defense to the public internet and that separation is worth its weight in gold. I also believe in the defense in depth approach, and a software firewall fits that goal nicely. The built in Windows firewall is not bad in that role, either, and I don't run anything more on my home machines.

Specific tools that I recommend for diagnostics are the SysInternals suite. They are excellent and can show you what's going on in your system at a low level. They are also free and from MS (now, SysInternals was bought by MS a few years back).
  • For your bandwidth usage question, try TCPView. It will show you bandwidth used per thread on your computer.
  • I also highly recommend Process Explorer for general troubleshooting, though it won't help with your networking issues much.

Finally, if you want a dashboard/widget that shows you what's going on in your system at any point in time, the modding community actively uses Rainmeter. It's like the old windows desktop widgets, but significantly more powerful.