Author Topic: Shop was broken into, installed a camera/dvr system  (Read 1535 times)

Offline machinisttx

• Survivalist Mentor
  • yay
Shop was broken into, installed a camera/dvr system
« on: August 13, 2017, 10:38:13 PM »
The system is capable of sending messages or video to phones/tablets or a webpage. Unfortunately, there is no internet access in my shop and it's ~50 feet from my house. I'm thinking that running an ethernet cable that far isn't going to work very well. Am I wrong, or can it be done?

Offline Skispcs

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: Shop was broken into, installed a camera/dvr system
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2017, 07:39:39 AM »
The Ethernet spec allows for cables of up to 100 meters.
That being said, running one outside between building leads to other issues.

Some people would just run any old cable between a pair of switches. Personally I would run outdoor rated Cat6 shielded and I would ground both ends to prevent a potential voltage difference between the buildings.

At 50 feet, you could do wireless easily.

Offline jerseyboy

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Garden State Prepper
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2017, 07:42:50 AM »
The system is capable of sending messages or video to phones/tablets or a webpage. Unfortunately, there is no internet access in my shop and it's ~50 feet from my house. I'm thinking that running an ethernet cable that far isn't going to work very well. Am I wrong, or can it be done?

https://superuser.com/questions/822031/maximum-length-of-ethernet-over-cat5

Cat5e has a 328 ft limit.

You can also run a wireless router/repeater with external yagi antennas, but the cable would be better.

Yagi WiFi Antenna 2.4GHz 17dBi Angle H:25° V:24 Outdoor Directional Wireless https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008Z4I7WQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_HIAKzbJWXMVBP

Jerseyboy

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2017, 08:06:11 AM »
Large ugly shop dog?

Cedar

edit: archer
« Last Edit: August 14, 2017, 08:54:31 AM by archer »

Offline ncjeeper

• Most Noble Order of the Garter Snake
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Oooops!
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2017, 10:22:01 AM »
Large ugly shop dog?

Cedar

edit: archer
Better yet get two.  ;)

Offline machinisttx

• Survivalist Mentor
  • yay
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2017, 07:37:28 PM »
I'm going to run wired, and bury the cable in PVC. I'll run the outdoor rated, shielded CAT6. Need to buy/install four more cameras on the box too.

I don't really want to run wireless for this, though that was my first thought.

Offline outoforder2day

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Semper Ubi Sub Ubi
    • The End Of The Tunnel
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2017, 08:38:14 AM »
Shielded cable is a good idea. Always run the latest spec cable. Why run 5 when you can run 6?
Also, you can look at powerline adapters. They don't always work well, so you'd have to test it, but that's my primary plan for my barn. I have one similar to this in use in my house right now. https://www.amazon.com/TRENDnet-Powerline-Ethernet-Adapter-TPL-401E2K/dp/B004D9V8C8
It works well within my house and, since the barn is powered from the house, should work there too. Note: I have not tested that yet.

Offline machinisttx

• Survivalist Mentor
  • yay
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2017, 04:36:23 PM »
So that converts it to fiber optic? I'm guessing I would need one on each end? I found a shielded 150' CAT 7 cable for $35, so that's probably the route I will go.

I also just purchased another system for the house and one of these two is going to use the last port on my router. How do I add more ethernet ports? I have an old wired router around here somewhere, if it's possible to configure it to work as a hub.

Offline jerseyboy

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Garden State Prepper
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2017, 08:14:14 AM »
So that converts it to fiber optic? I'm guessing I would need one on each end? I found a shielded 150' CAT 7 cable for $35, so that's probably the route I will go.

I also just purchased another system for the house and one of these two is going to use the last port on my router. How do I add more ethernet ports? I have an old wired router around here somewhere, if it's possible to configure it to work as a hub.

But a switch. Plug the switch into the router and computers and other devices into the switch.  An 8 port switch will add six ports to your system.  You can put a switch on each router  port and you can even nest them,  but don't go too deep if you can help it.  You will also need an extra Cat5/6/7 to connect the switch to the router.

TP-Link TL-SG108 8-Port Gigabit Ethernet Metal Network Switch | Limited | Unmanaged https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00A121WN6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_YeyOzb30RAMX3

Jerseyboy

Offline machinisttx

• Survivalist Mentor
  • yay
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2017, 09:55:23 AM »
Thanks!