Author Topic: The Nuge past his usefullness to the cause?  (Read 2443 times)

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
The Nuge past his usefullness to the cause?
« on: February 09, 2016, 02:07:02 PM »
http://www.pagunblog.com/2016/02/09/get-off-my-side/

The periodic kerfuffle on the latest utterance of Ted Nugent has reared its head again.

To be honest I think the guy is way past his usefulness to the 2A cause.  He carried the torch when it was really unpopular to do so, good for him.  However, his utterances and actions seem to cause more controversy than plaudits of late.
"You can always count on Americans to do the right thing, after they've tried everything else"
-Winston Churchill

"You think health care is expensive now? Wait until its free!"
-P.J. O'Rourke

"Is it dangerous to enter the Forum?"
-Seneca

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
Re: The Nuge past his usefullness to the cause?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2016, 02:37:23 PM »
In general I think the NRA is on its way there.

I realize they are the 400lbs. gorilla and have critical mass in the political realm, but I feel they are too coupled to establishment republican politics - and this is detrimental.

I don't like the extremes.  NRA is content letting states like CO, and WA take big blows at the state level.  Then they perpetrate memes that most of us understand to be intellectually dishonest with regards to personal defense.  I don't believe I will be able to stop a team of attackers armed with rifles, by using my CCW.  So many internet arguments debating scenarios that really are BS.  That said, I still have the right to try...

Disclaimer - I am a member, as its a prerequisite to membership at my private range.

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Still trying to reason with hurricane season.
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2016, 09:53:52 PM »
Just up over at The Zelman Partisans, The Nuge – Read Before You Judge.  Key quote:
How do I know? Again, I asked him. Ted and I chatted on the phone first, texted, and then I asked him some questions via email. Apparently, that’s something every reactionary jackass who rushed to condemn him failed to do.

I simply asked, ” What happened? How did you wind up using this thing?”

“Can I say oy vey?” He replied. “I sincerely apologize for my irresponsible re-posting of such a nasty and offensive meme. In my rush between songwriting jams and musical recording frenzy, all I saw was the images of people dedicated to disarm us, I made no connection whatsoever to any religious affiliation. Everyone knows deep down that at 67 years of age I didn’t suddenly become anti-Semitic. That’s patently ridiculous, and those who rushed to such a mistaken condemning judgement should re-examine the system by which such equally irresponsible knee-jerk judgments are made.”

Artes sunt magis quam instrumenta.

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2016, 01:48:25 PM »
Perhaps so:
http://www.pagunblog.com/2016/04/14/has-nra-finally-decided-to-kick-ted-nugent-to-the-curb/

To be honest, I think it is a case that he was one of the few celebrities to be ardently pro-gun once upon a time.  It isnt quite like that now.  Colion Noir, Emily Miller, Julie Golob, Taya Kyle, Dakota Myers and others are likely more effective....oh an about 3/4 of the country music industry.
"You can always count on Americans to do the right thing, after they've tried everything else"
-Winston Churchill

-P.J. O'Rourke

-Seneca

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Still trying to reason with hurricane season.
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2016, 06:35:26 PM »
Yeah Chem, I think you're right.  At best, Nugent's kind of a 70's nostalgia celebrity some days, and "awkward Uncle Ted" some others.  After his quick and credible apology for that posting – when someone bothered to ask – it's pretty hard to pillory the guy, but he still needs to watch what he says, and maybe fade back and let younger, hipper folks carry the banner.

Artes sunt magis quam instrumenta.

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2017, 03:42:37 AM »
Ted Nugent now talking about toning down his rhetoric in the wake of congressional shooting.

http://www.guns.com/2017/06/20/ted-nugent-advocates-toning-down-rhetoric-after-congressional-shooting/

Good for him.  I don't think it will help much, and it doesn't change my opinion of him much, but we all are on our own journey to being better people.
-Winston Churchill

-P.J. O'Rourke

-Seneca

Offline The Professor

• Tactical Skittle Assassin
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • All we have to do is create another universe
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2017, 10:19:29 AM »
I'm sorry, but I never saw any real "usefulness" of Ted Nugent to the gun cause.  I barely even consider him a celebrity above the level of Kim Kardashian (sp?) or that idiot from the Jackass movies.

He's a loud-mouthed, chest-beating seventies "rocker" for whom I can only remember one song . . ."Cat Scratch Fever."  I don't consider him any sort of politically-insightful (or inciteful) source or reference.

But then, again, I'm not a big fan of the NRA (and I DO have extensive experience as a high-level donor to them).  It is my personal opinion, worth every cent you paid for it, that the NRA does not want a completely pro-2A country.  They play both sides of the fence to maintain a balance that allows them to scare millions of gun-owners into giving them money so they can wear their $5k suits, drive their $70K+ cars and go on repeated dove hunts to South America.  Their business model is EXCELLENT and has been copied by many state-level, and higher, organizations who use their mail and email campaigns as models for their own income generation (i.e., "We need $100,000 dollars by the end of  this month to file an amicus curiae brief on this pending court case that has a gun in it.  If we don't get the money before the 31st, the court may rule and the jack-booted thugs may come after your guns via door-to-door confiscations!!!  YOUR URGENT HELP IS NEEDED NOW!!)

Keep in mind that it was the NRA who okay'd the 1994 Assault Weapons Ban.  Remember that it was one of their Board of Directors who PAID an anti-gun politician to specifically leave his company's guns off the ban list.  It was the NRA that stood by and did absolutely nothing on the national level to prevent the Colorado Magazine Ban and refused to do anything but politically yammer at the politicians who passed it.

The "Nuge" did stir up a lot of the lower socio-economic-level-based members.  He helped get a lot of them to sign checks for memberships and donations to the NRA.  His rhetoric, however, seems to do a lot more harm to the average gun-owner than it does good.  So, he did have a sort of usefulness as a recruiter to the NRA.

But to the "cause?"

The Professor
On "The List" since 1994.  Isn't it about time YOU got on The List?

I once filled the best and brightest of our young men and women with important knowledge. . .now, I just get paid for my opinions.  Ain't Life Grand?

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2017, 10:44:04 AM »
I didn't watch it myself, but Trevor Noah, host of the Daily Show had some anti-NRA commentary regarding the Philandro Castille shooting.
His main point being "The NRA doesn't care about gun owners when they are black."

Given that the victim was a legal CCW permit holder, this is a troubling story and I wish more pro-2A advocates had been more publicly vocal.

What's really annoying to me, are left-leaning people trying to play both sides of this issue.
1) NRA is bad and racist because they threw a black legal gun owner under the bus.
2) Owning guns can get you killed, guns are bad, etc.

If I was black and an active firearm owner (meaning I am permitted to CCW and actually go shooting), I would likely be annoyed that my demographic was not better advocated by the NRA.
Though if the NRA completely vanished, I'm not sure that would be more helpful. It's a pickle for sure.

Offline surfivor

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2017, 11:50:46 AM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJ6SyAELL9k

The Night TED NUGENT Challenged LYNYRD SKYNYRD

It was at Skateland in 1969 in Jacksonville, FL. Ted had no idea what he was getting himself into when he challenged Ronnie Van Zant.