Author Topic: CA Governor signs gun control bills into law  (Read 22892 times)

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
CA Governor signs gun control bills into law
« on: July 02, 2016, 06:56:14 PM »
http://onlygunsandmoney.blogspot.com/2016/07/california-gun-owners-get-screwed.html?m=1

Highlight include ammo registry, banning of bullet button equipped semi-auto long arms and the total banning of magazines holding more than 10 rounds with no grandfather in of previously owned magazines.
"You can always count on Americans to do the right thing, after they've tried everything else"
-Winston Churchill

"You think health care is expensive now? Wait until its free!"
-P.J. O'Rourke

"Is it dangerous to enter the Forum?"
-Seneca

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
Re: CA Governor signs gun control bills into law
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2016, 07:40:56 PM »
now, what do you think the odds are of everyone following these ? How many magazines do you think will be turned in  ?

Not to mantion the whole ammo craziness, if the criminals manage to smuggle in heroin, ammo is somehow going to be a problem ? This is going to limit the places selling and raise the prices like crazy, so expect Californians to reload more and bring home ammo when vacationing elsewhere more is my bet...

And, all the AR-ish (scary black guns) rifles need to do is change out to a non-adjustable stock and/or take off the flash suppressor -- now they are no longer "assault weapons" , even if they keep the removable magazine. So, magically safer, right ?

Unbelievable -- but it is ignorance of most non-gun owning Californians, and now the politicians will say they "did something" and that they "closed important loopholes " and everyone is now magically safer
Accomplished tea drinker and baby goat watcher

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2016, 10:23:08 PM »
Yep, the whole thing is yet another huge pile of crap for us. 

Criminalizing hi-cap mag possession is going to be an absolute nightmare, both for owners and law enforcement.  Mag owners, previously comfortable with possession in light of the fairly toothless legal risks, now must decide whether continued possession is worth becoming a criminal over.  And law enforcement will be forced to decide how aggressive they'll be in charging violators.  As with everything gun-related in this state, I won't be surprised if certain jurisdictions will not enforce the mag ban at all, while others will make an example of every person they can lay their hands on.

I've been leery of anything AR in California, so this portion of the legislation doesn't impact me at all.  As far as I can tell, my traditionally stocked M1A's are unaffected.  I had to make a decision which direction to go many years ago, and I decided I was better off spending my money on something less scary looking, because California is all about optics, reason plays little role in how these bills are crafted.

I don't know what's going to happen with the ammo thing, except that it's going to make it more of a hassle and probably more expensive.  It sounds like internet sales are allowed, so long as the background check and record keeping function meets DOJ standards.  Whether out of state bulk dealers will find it financially worth their while to comply with these extra hoops remains to be seen.  I've avoided local sales for over 10 years, because online sales were easier, cheaper, and had much better selection.  While I've got deep reserves, I may decide to lay in a whole bunch more before this goes into effect, I just don't know enough about it yet.
Axis II: deferred

Offline jerseyboy

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Garden State Prepper
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2016, 10:56:50 PM »
So what is the age limit on buying a gun? How will a minor go hunting? What is loaning? Can an instructor "loan" a gun to a student?

I know New Jersey is crazy but wow, California just broke with reality.

Jerseyboy

Offline Jeremy Downing

• Senior Survivalist
  • Poodle loving prepper
    • Jeremy Downing's Blog
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2016, 04:36:11 AM »
I would of probably just given up and left California some time ago. I've known quite a few Californian's to find happiness in Kentucky and Ohio. I've heard they do better in almost any other state.

I say this while I enjoy shooting my new 9 with a 17 round mag. Oh, yah. It's surpressed.

They wanted to sell me some sort of 30 round mag for my glock at the gun store last week. Looked unwieldly, but in light of this report I smile a bit to myself.

GTFO of California.

“When governments fear the people, there is liberty.
When the people fear the government, there is tyranny.
The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.”
- Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826), US Founding Father, drafted the Declaration of Independence, 3rd US President

Offline iam4liberty

• Dedicated Contributor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2016, 07:19:32 AM »
I heard that these laws were originally going to be ballot measures and that polling showed them being very unpopular.  So the Democrats scrambled to get them passed through the legislslature before the secretary of state announced them.  The democrats were scared that it would turn out gunowners in droves and they would lose lots of seats.  I hope gunowners still do show up to vote against these elites.

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2016, 08:07:23 AM »

I've been leery of anything AR in California, so this portion of the legislation doesn't impact me at all.  As far as I can tell, my traditionally stocked M1A's are unaffected.  I had to make a decision which direction to go many years ago, and I decided I was better off spending my money on something less scary looking, because California is all about optics, reason plays little role in how these bills are crafted.

https://www.nraila.org/articles/20160701/california-governor-brown-signs-anti-gun-bills

This article contains links to the PDFs of the bills. Not entirely sure if you are grandfathered or grandfathered with special registration but I read it as no one in the state is buying a new M1A unless they pry the flash surpressor off.
"You can always count on Americans to do the right thing, after they've tried everything else"
-Winston Churchill

-P.J. O'Rourke

-Seneca

Offline Ms. Albatross

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2016, 08:44:25 AM »
Yep, the whole thing is yet another huge pile of crap for us. 

Yup.   >:(

I don't know what's going to happen with the ammo thing, except that it's going to make it more of a hassle and probably more expensive.  It sounds like internet sales are allowed, so long as the background check and record keeping function meets DOJ standards.  Whether out of state bulk dealers will find it financially worth their while to comply with these extra hoops remains to be seen.  I've avoided local sales for over 10 years, because online sales were easier, cheaper, and had much better selection.  While I've got deep reserves, I may decide to lay in a whole bunch more before this goes into effect, I just don't know enough about it yet.

My husband and I were discussing this yesterday.  We're confused as well.  Like you, we're going to deepen the reserves. 

GTFO of California.

I wish I could figure out a way to do that....
Smite us now, oh mighty SMOD!  Like crap from a giant asscrack, so wipe us from the face of the earth.  FreeLancer

OIL LADY'S DEFINITION OF A PREPPER: A prepper is someone who takes advantage of the monetary freedom offered by good economic conditions of non-wartime prosperity to stockpile for himself readily available supplies and equipment of a lifestyle-supporting nature. He specifically chooses to engage in such stockpiling during easy economic times so that when bad economic times eventually cycle around again, he will be prepared to engage in the self-preserving undertaking of riding out a lengthy period of scarcity of those same supplies and equipment without harming others in the process. The goal of the prepper is to be fully self-sufficient at all times --good times and bad-- without breaking laws or causing harm to others.

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2016, 10:25:37 AM »
  https://www.nraila.org/articles/20160701/california-governor-brown-signs-anti-gun-bills

This article contains links to the PDFs of the bills. Not entirely sure if you are grandfathered or grandfathered with special registration but I read it as no one in the state is buying a new M1A unless they pry the flash surpressor off.

COrrect, you cannot have a flash suppressor and a detachable magazine at the same time....., and now, you cant use your older standard sized magazines....

Offline RitaRose1945

• Survival Veteran
  • Asking the uncomfortable questions since 1964
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2016, 11:32:56 AM »
I heard that these laws were originally going to be ballot measures and that polling showed them being very unpopular.

Interesting, if that's the case.

Kind of reminds me of the Brexit vote.  "Wait, you all voted wrong!  Let's try this another way..."

The appearance of democracy vs. actual democracy.

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2016, 01:19:58 PM »
Obviously the wrong sort of democracy...
-Winston Churchill

-P.J. O'Rourke

-Seneca

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2016, 01:40:26 PM »
California compliant M1A's don't have flash suppressors, at least since I've been buying them, so they side-step the AW classification.

Offline machinisttx

• Survivalist Mentor
  • yay
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2016, 02:08:21 PM »
Kalifornia proves that it hates freedom and liberty again. I don't see anything newsworthy about that.  :(

I can't recall exactly, but it seems like there was a Scotus case shortly after Heller vs DC that dealt with magazine capacity restrictions.
The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal.

Aristotle

Offline iam4liberty

• Dedicated Contributor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2016, 03:21:39 PM »

Interesting, if that's the case.

Kind of reminds me of the Brexit vote.  "Wait, you all voted wrong!  Let's try this another way..."

The appearance of democracy vs. actual democracy.

Looks like Huffington Post is confirming story.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/california-gun-laws_us_5776fd5ee4b0a629c1aa1f9c

Their efforts spilled into intra-party politics as well, after Lieutenant Governor Gavin Newsom, who is expected to run for governor in 2018, gathered enough signatures to place his own gun control referendum on the November ballot.

The move angered the state Senate’s top Democrat, Kevin de Leon, who had been working to pass many of the same measures through the legislature.

Worried in part that Newsom’s initiative would boost turnout in November among Republicans who oppose gun control, legislative Democrats rushed to pass their bills in time for Newsom to withdraw his measure.

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2016, 03:39:54 PM »
Difference between a California-legal M1A and the rest of the country:  put the flash hider/bayonet lug piece of metal, shown at the top of the picture, on the end of the rifle and it's an assault weapon, but the piece of metal classified as a muzzle brake does not.  And, yes, none of this makes any sense, but that's how gun law rolls around here.

This M1A Scout/Squad is Cal-legal, as it does not meet the definition of an assault weapon:

But with a stock like this the M1A SOCOM 16 becomes an assault weapon:

But this SOCOM is Cal-legal:

This one is not.   That thumbhole stock turns this otherwise innocuous Standard M1A a scary AW (even with 10rd mags):

Plus, it looks like that might be a flash suppressor attached to the end of barrel, too.

Here's the chatter at calguns regarding the new laws and the M1A's.  Based on this, I think I'm OK.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2016, 03:48:24 PM by FreeLancer »

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2016, 04:06:16 PM »
Whatevs, most of the country can get away with 7.62x39 multi-strike plates. The constabulary in CA can buy 7.62x51 plates.
-Winston Churchill

-P.J. O'Rourke

-Seneca

Offline iam4liberty

• Dedicated Contributor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2016, 04:46:29 PM »
That thumbhole stock turns this otherwise innocuous Standard M1A a scary AW (even with 10rd mags):

Funny.  I remember under the clinton/bush ban when all the ak's came with thumbhole stocks to avoid the non-sporting purpose part of aw ban.  Now it is the opposite.

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2016, 04:56:13 PM »
I would of probably just given up and left California some time ago. I've known quite a few Californian's to find happiness in Kentucky and Ohio. I've heard they do better in almost any other state.

I can certainly understand the sentiment, but it's not always going to be an option for everyone.  My wife almost accepted a position in FL two years ago, and considered another in PA a year later.  Both states have extremely permissive gun laws.  I left the decision up to my wife, as I made the decision a long time ago that here career would take precedence over mine, but I was quite relieved when she turned them down.  Beyond the ability to own all the weapons I want, there was little else that appealed to me about either state.  Plus, there would be potentially large financial loses involved with relocating, the loss of my current professional network that allows me a type of work that doesn't translate well to the other side of the country, and the climate sucks (my opinion).

I like guns, a lot, but, if I'm honest with myself, they're not the end-all-be-all issue in my life, at least not yet.  Compared to any other English-speaking country, California's gun laws are not that bad.  In terms of being able to defend myself from likely threats, it's hard to say that I do not have access to sufficient firepower to protect my home.  Now that I've (nearly) cleared the CCW process, it's hard to say that I lack the ability to protect myself away from home, too.  Would it be nice to have an AR or SCAR with 30rd mags, or even 20rd mags in my M1A's?  Hells, yeah!  Would I prefer to feed my Glocks with hi-cap mags?  Definitely.  But does being denied these options sufficient motivation to make me want to uproot myself and move elsewhere?  Not yet.

Does my lack of firepower compared to the other states realistically place me in danger?  I don't know.  I guess it depends on what the future holds, but the risks seem infinitesimal at the present time.  Should Californians be able to own the weapons the rest of the states are allowed?  Yep.  But it does not look hopeful that this state will be compelled to do so by outside forces.  It's definitely easier to leave the state than it is to change its gun law by staying and trying to influence the political reality at work here.  But if all the gun owners leave, this state has absolutely no hope for change.  California will not be begging gun owners and businesses who leave for other states to come back.  And, what happens in California has a way of not staying in California.  With more than 12% of the total US citizenry, California exerts an incredibly disproportional political influence.  What happens to gun laws in the rest of the country when all the California gun nuts are gone?  I don't know, but I don't think it will be positive.

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2016, 05:01:25 PM »
Whatevs, most of the country can get away with 7.62x39 multi-strike plates. The constabulary in CA can buy 7.62x51 plates.

Can you explain? 

Here's the chatter at calguns regarding the new laws and the M1A's.  Based on this, I think I'm OK.

Sorry.  Here's the link:  http://www.calguns.net/calgunforum/showthread.php?t=1214747
« Last Edit: July 03, 2016, 05:26:18 PM by FreeLancer »

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2016, 06:11:12 PM »
Can you explain?
Oh I was sort of riffing on the tendency of limitations of weapons to have unintended consequences.  Ban ARs and normal magazines and you will likely see replacements with better terminal ballistics like .308.  Those that wear body armor need to defeat common threats.  5.56 and 7.62x39 are common threats that armor should defend against. Make it .308 compliant and it will be heavier, thicker and more expensive.

Sorry to be obtuse.
-Winston Churchill

-P.J. O'Rourke

-Seneca

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2016, 06:33:43 PM »
Oh I was sort of riffing on the tendency of limitations of weapons to have unintended consequences.  Ban ARs and normal magazines and you will likely see replacements with better terminal ballistics like .308.

Got it.  My small brain took me down a totally different path.

And, if eliminating access to .223 semi-autos was the goal, the new changes won't limit the sales of these guns:

Look for California to be flooded with 10rd-fed pump AR's, like this one from Troy:

Markets adapt.  And the fact that every major AR-style manufacturer has made millions selling CA-legal/neutered versions of their weapons here proves it.

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2016, 07:06:08 PM »
Bill Ruger would be so proud his rifle has a place somewhere.  ::)
-Winston Churchill

-P.J. O'Rourke

-Seneca

Offline machinisttx

• Survivalist Mentor
  • yay
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2016, 11:03:08 PM »
Bill Ruger, yep. AFAIK, he wouldn't allow dealers to sell the AC556 to anyone except government agencies, just like Cult.
The worst form of inequality is to try to make unequal things equal.

Aristotle

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2016, 10:34:03 PM »
California does such a good job protecting us from dangerous things....whole valley has been erupting with illegal fireworks for the last hour.

Offline David in MN

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2016, 06:07:13 AM »
It's the nature of California to chase away people with regulation. Start taking note how many films are being made in Georgia, Michigan, and Canada. The tech companies aren't slowly creeping notheast just to run up land value. Even the wine makers are exploring New Mexico and Arizona.

It's a huge state and one size doesn't fit all but it sure seems like the state is trying to regulate itself into oblivion. Those of you who have never done work there wouldn't believe the act of God required to do home repair.

It's bigger than guns to me. It's a regulatory nightmare.
Livin on a thin line, tell me now what are we supposed to do?

Offline surfivor

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2016, 07:51:30 AM »
It's the nature of California to chase away people with regulation. Start taking note how many films are being made in Georgia, Michigan, and Canada. The tech companies aren't slowly creeping notheast just to run up land value. Even the wine makers are exploring New Mexico and Arizona.

It's a huge state and one size doesn't fit all but it sure seems like the state is trying to regulate itself into oblivion. Those of you who have never done work there wouldn't believe the act of God required to do home repair.

Some people will always want to live in southern CA just for the weather if nothing else

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2016, 09:47:07 AM »

The home repair and home building is only too true -- it is unbelievable. You would have to be rich to afford an actual permit for a repair, and permits are required legally --

Dont even get me started on a young couple in my area,  the young mans dream is to raise his kids where he grew up. Neighbor of his parents has an unbuilt lot behind his parents house, she sells it to him. He pays it off, gets married, decides to build his house. It has been years and many 10 of thousands of dollars, while the young couple, expecting now their second child, lives in the over the garage studio at his parents place just continually trying to be able to start building. Just when they think everything is done and covered, the county comes up with something else. Last I heard, it was something about the driveway location, he thought they had already got this signed off and paid for , but they have come up with something else.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2016, 09:58:31 AM »
Having spent a week in Montana last month,  most of us have no idea what freedom can be. 
WA is relatively gun-friendly, but it's still a corrupt liberal cesspool, with mismanaged civic projects, union kickbacks from candidates and high taxes.
I still like the temperate climate and find the scenery pleasing.

Anyhow, driving through ID, MT and WY I realized that somehow the northern rockies had hardly any taxes, yet had some of the best roads I'd driven in recent memory.  There were loads of public parks, campgrounds, trail heads, boat launches, but their population was a fraction of what I'm used to.

How'd they pay for all these with no tax base???

It's exciting to get passionate about gun rights, but most of us on the west coast are working too hard, paying too much in taxes and living expenses, all while having fewer rights to enjoy for all our trouble...

The gun issue is really just a tangible symptom.  I just need to figure out where my threshold is before "going gault".

Offline Steve Cover

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Mr. C ..... Das Ugly Mutt
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2016, 09:31:10 AM »
Ho-Hum,

Another Politically Correct, Totally Useless, Feel Good, law on the books.
But, the government took action, by God!
Of course, crime appears to be legal in Kalifornia, so they have to go after the honest people who never hurt anybody.

I wonder if the lame stream media will post a camera crew next to the magazine turn in point to photograph all the criminals hurrying to obey the new law.

According to Forest's mother, "California does as Stupid does"

Steve
FOR THOSE WHO HAVE FOUGHT FOR IT
FREEDOM HAS A FLAVOR
THE PROTECTED WILL NEVER KNOW

Offline FreeLancer

• Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2016, 02:33:50 AM »
Here's what BulkAmmo.com has on their website regarding CA customers:

Update for our California customers: We can continue shipping directly to most of our California customers for the time being (the earliest change would be November 8, 2016). If you have a question about your particular location wihtin the state, you can continue checkout with confidence – our checkout will only allow orders to permitted locations. If you have any questions, you can always contact our great customer service team at (800) 720-6035 or customerservice@bulkammo.com.

My goal is to lay in a minimum of 1000rds each of my 4 center-fire calibers between now and Halloween.  They actually have some good deals right now, but I'll have to look elsewhere for my preference in .22LR.