Author Topic: USA Today actually writes decent article on Suppressors  (Read 1495 times)

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
USA Today actually writes decent article on Suppressors
« on: May 27, 2017, 07:25:19 AM »
Especially from USA Today this is creepily balanced.  They went and shot with the NRA, reported that "Yep, we still needed to wear ear pro, it was still freaking loud and still sounded like a gunshot."  There were some talking points from the other side, but to be honest it felt balanced.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2017/05/26/what-shooting-with-nra-revealed-about-silencers/102160750/

Offline Alan Georges

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Still trying to reason with hurricane season.
Re: USA Today actually writes decent article on Suppressors
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2017, 08:44:23 AM »
Actual journalism, that's a rare find.  Thanks for pointing it out.

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Global Moderator
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2017, 04:35:31 AM »
Funky, the press is actually covering this issue pretty fairly. 

http://thehill.com/business-a-lobbying/335348-gun-lobby-seeks-to-calm-fears-about-silencers

Also interesting is the Sebastian's observation on the Shall Not Be Questioned blog.  The gun control groups have come out of most of these articles with weak sauce arguments.

If they some how pass this and delist or greatly ease the process...holy crud, that would be something I never expected to see in my lifetime.

Offline Smurf Hunter

• Survival Veteran
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2017, 11:38:32 AM »
Funky, the press is actually covering this issue pretty fairly. 

http://thehill.com/business-a-lobbying/335348-gun-lobby-seeks-to-calm-fears-about-silencers

Also interesting is the Sebastian's observation on the Shall Not Be Questioned blog.  The gun control groups have come out of most of these articles with weak sauce arguments.

If they some how pass this and delist or greatly ease the process...holy crud, that would be something I never expected to see in my lifetime.

Right now the entire suppressor supply chain is based on the NFA process.  The cans are designed for durability, and serviceability as the high cost (NFA process, tax, base price) is high.
If suppressors became non-NFA, suddenly a "good enough" Chinese model for $50 would be highly desired.  Likewise, if we were only ever allowed to own a single pistol, Kel-tec would probably go out of business.

Further, new firearm/cartridge designs would come out that were optimized for suppressed operation.  Imagine a 10/22 suppressor bundle that had a specially tuned bolt and charging spring weight.
I know hobbyists do this already, but imagine the market supply an order of magnitude greater.

Offline NWPilgrim

• Dedicated Contributor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2017, 07:16:47 PM »
Since even the rabid left are having difficulty coming up with counter arguments against suppressors, and the media is putting out reasonable articles, it makes me wonder what the original justification for putting them under the NFA was?  It isn't like Machine Gun Kelly and John Dillinger were shooting up banks and guards with suppressors attached.  Can't see how manufacturers would benefit as they do with import restrictions. Who was even using suppressors around 1934?  I have not read one book or article about law enforcement, military, or notorious criminals  set before 1934 that ever mentioned suppressors being used.

Seems rational that anyone would appreciate less noise from shooting.  It would be fantastic on the firing line if these were common place and instead of brakes blasting neighbors on each side we had magnums and SBRs with suppressors.  I could see a market for disposables to heavy duty, and instead of trying to get by with 1-3 suppressors for all your calibers have several that are tuned for specific calibers and perhaps even velocities.

Offline iam4liberty

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2017, 08:03:24 PM »
Since even the rabid left are having difficulty coming up with counter arguments against suppressors, and the media is putting out reasonable articles, it makes me wonder what the original justification for putting them under the NFA was?

It was the other way around.  The NFA was originally a registration act they tried to pass to cover all firearms and accessories other than a basic shotgun and rifle.  In fact the biggest push was for pistols and revolvers under the argument they were easily concealable.  But enough resistance was raised that they got carved out of the legislation.  Really there wasnt a lot of resistance to the legislation because it didnt have any teeth because the Fifth Amendment could be invoked to prevent prosecution.  It wasnt until it was revised in 1968 that it really had any impact.

On silencers (which is the historically correct term as the inventor named it that) it is an interesting story.  The silencer was invented by the father of ham radio, Hiram Percy Maxim.  His life was devoted to innovations in sending audio by RF.  When the government tried to ban citizens from using radios (it was argued it was a risk to national security) he used the influence of his uncle with the military to stop it.  Why did his family have such influence?  Because his dad invented the Maxim machine gun!  He was knighted for his contribution and was viewed as a huge hero.  Anyway, Hiram who loved radio communication watched as his father lost his hearing due to his work on machine guns.  So he turned his knowledge of wave mechanics from radio to create the silencer.  Later it also became the basis of the modern auto muffler.

Those of us who like automatic weapons, ham radio, and powerful cars/trucks owe a lot to the Maxim family.  :)

Offline ncjeeper

• Most Noble Order of the Garter Snake
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Oooops!
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2017, 09:14:06 PM »
it makes me wonder what the original justification for putting them under the NFA was? 
It was during the great depression and people were starving, so the government was worried people would be hunting with suppressors so they wouldn't get caught. That's why they were added.