Author Topic: Survival Summary  (Read 140263 times)

Offline gigaJack

• Senior Survivalist
  • Click the website icon to view my survial summary
    • The Survival Summary
Survival Summary
« on: November 23, 2008, 11:37:52 PM »
Here is a link to my survival summary created with Google docs.

There is also a storage food link in the food section where it links to a spread sheet.

I always feel that I need to read hundreds of pages in books and pages on pages of forums to get to the “meat and potatoes” of ideas and concepts. I work better from lists with small descriptions next to them.

I would be interested in seeing your survival summary.

GigaJack
« Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 08:38:36 PM by DeltaEchoVictor »

Offline Braden

• Prepper
  • Moved out to the country for the lifestyle we want
    • CopperSkink - Your Personalized Preparedness Manual
Re: Survival Summary
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2008, 11:49:23 PM »
That's one excellent list, when I get more time i'll go through it in more detail, but great work  :)

John Q Public

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2008, 11:52:25 PM »
THIS IS INCREDIBLE!

I have been thinking about putting something like this together. You did a great job. +1

Welcome to TSP.

Offline Tycoon

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2008, 11:19:13 AM »
Nice, very well prepared!!

Offline edhand

• Prepper
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2008, 11:43:32 AM »
GigaJack,

Incredible list and spreadsheet.  I'll be studying it for the next week, at least ...  :D

When you mark some food containers as "LDS", I'm assuming that it's food canned at the local LDS cannery?  Are they in standard #10 cans?

Thanks,
Ed

Offline Beetle

• Proud Grandpa
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2008, 12:24:42 PM »
    Awesome!!! I am curious have you walked through your Evac plan and how long did it take until you were leaving? Also one small suggestion, you should get into ham radio and install a couple mobile radio's in the suburban's. You would be able to talk between your work (25miles ) and home no problem. If you were heading home and she had a HT(walkie talkie) you could keep in touch while she was getting the kids and supplies ready. Plus Ham is really not that expensive.
Great job!!!

Offline Jwatt

• Survivor
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2008, 03:31:49 PM »
Wow,
Amazing!  I will be referencing this frequently while I am building up my survival supplies!  I think you undercalculated your daily calorie needs.  2000 calories a day for a man of your size is too little - especially if you are going to be doing anything other than sitting and watching t.v. at your bug-out location.  You should recalculate and stock up for a higher amount and then use less if you are able to. 

Offline gigaJack

• Senior Survivalist
    • The Survival Summary
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2008, 04:02:34 PM »
GigaJack,

Incredible list and spreadsheet.  I'll be studying it for the next week, at least ...  :D

When you mark some food containers as "LDS", I'm assuming that it's food canned at the local LDS cannery?  Are they in standard #10 cans?

Thanks,
Ed

They are the #10 cans. I initially bought a couple of cases through their online site at a great price including shipping. Then I found out there was a Home Storage Center in Minnesota. I printed out their Home Storage Center Order Form and contacted them to setup a time to meet at the warehouse. They had enough inventory for what I wanted for the prepackaged cases of 6 #10 cans but other items where ala carte meaning what ever they had available after he last weekend canning. I am not a member, but they didn't ask. He did ask for the Ward and Stake. I just gave him the one nearest me.

gigaJack
« Last Edit: November 24, 2008, 05:13:36 PM by gigaJack »

Offline gigaJack

• Senior Survivalist
    • The Survival Summary
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2008, 04:22:01 PM »
    Awesome!!! I am curious have you walked through your Evac plan and how long did it take until you were leaving? Also one small suggestion, you should get into ham radio and install a couple mobile radio's in the suburban's. You would be able to talk between your work (25miles ) and home no problem. If you were heading home and she had a HT(walkie talkie) you could keep in touch while she was getting the kids and supplies ready. Plus Ham is really not that expensive.
Great job!!!

We haven't walked through our evac plan yet. My wife has been bugging me about it for the last month or so. I presume we will have some kinks to work out when we do. I would guess it would take a good 2 hours the first time. I don't know how we would arrange items for the roof racks. I will update the plan online in the next month after we give it a go.

I have been meaning to research other radios. That would be cool if it would reach between home and work.

gigaJack

Offline gigaJack

• Senior Survivalist
    • The Survival Summary
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2008, 04:38:51 PM »
Wow,
Amazing!  I will be referencing this frequently while I am building up my survival supplies!  I think you undercalculated your daily calorie needs.  2000 calories a day for a man of your size is too little - especially if you are going to be doing anything other than sitting and watching t.v. at your bug-out location.  You should recalculate and stock up for a higher amount and then use less if you are able to. 

Yup,

Good catch. I always use the recommended daily 2,000 on the back of the cereal box. What a bunch of crap.

Calories per Day Calculator

For me Male | 200 lbs | 5'10" | 35 yrs | Moderately Active = 3,043 calories per day.
For wife Female | 120 lbs | 5'6" | 29 yrs | Moderately Active = 2,094 calories per day.

My wife is at her ideal weight but I am on the bigger side. It says I should weight 180 lbs.

If I plug 180 lbs into the calculator it says I need:
Average Actual Metabolism 2,849 calories per day.
Resting Metabolism 1,838 calories per day

I am going to change mine to 2,800, wifie's to 2,000, 10 year old child to 1,500 and 7 year old child to 1,200.

Damn, I am now down to 9.5 months.

gigaJack
« Last Edit: November 24, 2008, 05:16:12 PM by gigaJack »

Offline Lowdown3

• Survivor
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2008, 07:20:56 AM »
"I would be interested in seeing your survival summary."

LMAO.

Here's mine-

1. Opsec
2. Opsec
3. Opsec

Offline gigaJack

• Senior Survivalist
    • The Survival Summary
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2008, 09:09:42 AM »

LMAO.

Here's mine-

1. Opsec
2. Opsec
3. Opsec

I hesitated posting all this information in summary form but I figured given enough time I would have posted all this in single threads on this forum. Try to find anything that resembles personal information in the summary. Not a single person on this forum knows me (I don't go camping with 36 of them). Oh wait, I narrowed the search for me down to Minnesota.  ;)  If I want to learn other peoples opsec then I need to post mine.

gigaJack
« Last Edit: November 25, 2008, 09:16:19 AM by gigaJack »

Offline Beetle

• Proud Grandpa
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2008, 09:25:42 AM »
I wouldn't worry about it. I posted my call sign and you could use it to look up my address if you wanted to. I did have a friend from Minneota Mn.

Offline Lowdown3

• Survivor
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2008, 11:39:00 AM »

LMAO.

Here's mine-

1. Opsec
2. Opsec
3. Opsec

I hesitated posting all this information in summary form but I figured given enough time I would have posted all this in single threads on this forum. Try to find anything that resembles personal information in the summary. Not a single person on this forum knows me (I don't go camping with 36 of them). Oh wait, I narrowed the search for me down to Minnesota.  ;)  If I want to learn other peoples opsec then I need to post mine.

gigaJack

Your prerogative of course.

I guarantee you "camping with 36 people" would not net you half of the personal info that IS shown in those lists.

As I said, your prerogative.

Folks that weren't around in the early to mid 90's typically lack of sense of OPSEC in regards to talking about what all they have, etc. Those of us that were around in that time period realize the importance of FALSE TRAILS, a little psy ops and in general keeping your mouth shut about the quantities involved in your preps.

Most folks would assume someone even remotely serious about prepping would have some storage food, but this being a general thing could mean 2 months to one person or 7 years to another.

Ditto with firearms- some might think a .22lr pistol is sufficient, others want a battery of firearms for each family member, one each for the dogs and 2 backups.

You can talk in GENERALITIES, set some FALSE TRAILS, use a little psy-ops and be a lot safer in the days to come. You can also put yourself a little "out front" teaching and use some of these techniques to mask yourself to a degree.

As I said, your prerogative.  ;)  Good luck!
Lowdown3

Offline Beetle

• Proud Grandpa
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2008, 12:39:13 PM »
I wouldn't worry about it. I posted my call sign and you could use it to look up my address if you wanted to. I did have a friend from Minneota Mn.

Wow I just checked my call sign and I used my PO Box. Guess I'm not giving up the ranch...

Offline gigaJack

• Senior Survivalist
    • The Survival Summary
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2009, 11:18:58 PM »
Anyone mind if I bump my survival summary thread back to the top of the heap for any newcomers every now and again?

Here is a link to my survival summary created with Google docs.
http://docs.google.com/View?docid=dfhfncbq_4cdd482fx

gigaJack

Offline gigaJack

• Senior Survivalist
    • The Survival Summary
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2009, 11:33:52 PM »
Bump...

Offline Roswell

• Search And Destroy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Posts REALLY REALLY ugly pictures...
    • Making A Homestead, One Day at a Time
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2009, 11:40:47 PM »
great list please keep updating it as you work out your kinks

Offline gigaJack

• Senior Survivalist
    • The Survival Summary
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2009, 11:56:37 AM »
BTT

Offline Heavy G

• Distorting the Space-Time Continuum
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • A misfit ant in a grasshopper world.
    • 299 Days
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2009, 09:05:11 PM »
(This thread has been selected as a “best of” thread by Heavy G.  You can search for “best of” threads by using that term in the search mode.  Everyone on the forum is encouraged to reply to a post they think is “best of” worthy so we can all search for them.  For more information on the “best of” thing, see http://thesurvivalpodcast.com/forum/index.php?topic=3423.0 )

Offline PaCoTx

• Survivor
  • Halt! WHOO goes there?
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2009, 07:58:34 PM »
Thanks for adding it to the "Best of"

The link to CodeReady is great.  Gives you a quick list of 3 day, 1 month, and 1 year "kits".  Also allows you to prepare a plan.

I tried the TX site, and it requires an e-mail address to get started.  Too Big Brother like for me.

Offline eph2

• Survivor
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2009, 10:10:15 PM »
Really enjoyed looking at your list.  You've inspired me to go into much more detail in my plan. :)

Offline gigaJack

• Senior Survivalist
    • The Survival Summary
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2009, 10:20:18 AM »
Bought PEX plumbing repair parts and tools. I already had the tool and crimp rings but I also bought some adapters to copper tubing and some extra tubing.

Bought 1 OnGuard Beast chain and lock to lock up the generator when used outside.

Bought 1 Explorer Pro Comp 330000 3""X30' Towstrap-30,000 - This towstrap is a snatch strap. Snatch straps are better for tugging a vehicle out.

Bought 10 4lbs. Morton Salt boxes - 40lbs.

Bought 1 Excalibur Dehydrator 9-Tray Large-Excalibur with 26 hour Timer #3926T. We just finished our first batch of broccoli. We are going to put our first few batches in canning jars. We still need to buy some oxygen suckers but we have the

Bought 1 Back To Basics Apple and Potato Peeler - Used to process before dehydrating

Bought 1 FoodSaver Professional III Plus Vacuum Sealer

Bought 1 Chamberlain Wireless Pedestrian & Vehicle Alert System with 2-Way Voice Communication and Remote Control - One for the front and back doors.

Bought 1 LED flashlight for the back of wife's truck to replace a D cell flashlight.

Offline gigaJack

• Senior Survivalist
    • The Survival Summary
New basement layout...
« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2009, 12:38:11 AM »

New basement layout. Wifey has been doubling up on items we use regularly that can store for 1-2 years. Then we made a run to Sam's Club (warehouse store). Whenever I go with her we end up switching from the shopping cart to the big flat bed cart. When we got home she asked where were we going to put it. So we bought two more metal shelving and reorganized the basement again. Found a mouse in a trap only a day or two dead. Updated the amount of traps to 5.

The long term storage food is behind the right front rack and stacked to the ceiling. This actually helps in more than one way - now the cat doesn't hop up in the ceiling space to the next room. ;-)

The three 55 gallon water barrels are behind the right second rack. We will buy one more barrel because we have found they stack good and we will screw it down to the wall with the perforated metal roll tape.

Dog & cat food is on the side of the rack on the left. We currently have 5 44 lbs bags of dog food (9~ months). We will be updating the dog and cat food this week to have 1 years worth.

Strapped the tower of food to the wall with the perforated metal roll tape. We hopefully will not need to access the long term food thus putting the racks in front of them.

Damn I love pop tarts...

This last view shows a bit of the 55 gallon water barrel and also my box opener...

Offline Beetle

• Proud Grandpa
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #25 on: April 13, 2009, 01:36:17 AM »
Wow Giga that is frickin' awesome....Good job.

dhallftworth

« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2009, 01:41:35 AM »
I would go out on a limb and say he might be prepared...

Offline DeltaEchoVictor

• Evil Forum Overlord
  • Administrator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Vincit Omnia Veritas
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2009, 01:43:23 AM »
Tacked this to the top so we can all be inspired.

Congrats GJ, you've earned your very own stickied thread... :P ;D

Offline ebonearth

• TSP Bunny Rabbit Wrangler
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Plant a Revolution!
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2009, 01:57:56 AM »
This is very VERY awesome. Your level of organization inspires me. Definitely something to work towards. Thank you for sharing! +1

Offline archer

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Survival Veteran
  • #ImissAmerica
    • Journey to Greener Pastures
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2009, 01:18:32 PM »
Very Impressive GigaJack!