Author Topic: Survival Summary  (Read 143754 times)

Offline tburda

• Prepper
Re: Survival Summary
« Reply #60 on: September 25, 2009, 12:37:32 PM »
here is a very specific question for gigajack:
Kel-tec PF9?  Do you like yours, and how were/are your factory sights?  I dont mind the gun, but my factory sights are down/right approximately 4" at 5 yards.  farther than that and you're not hitting your target.  My glock .45 i can put 2" groups consistently at 25 yards. 

Did you have to order a new dovetail for your kel-tec?  A friend bought a pf9, and had the same problem....  Kel-tec has a form you can send them along with 15 dollars and they will send you a corrected sight dovetail.

Maverick68

« Reply #61 on: September 30, 2009, 10:32:09 PM »
Very impressive.

How do you rotate your stock?  In other words, let's say you have 12 jars of Ragu and you use 1 per month currently.  Do you let your stock get down to 6 and then buy another case of 12?  How far down do you let your inventory go before you hit your "reorder point"?

Offline Dadgumit

• Prepper
« Reply #62 on: October 04, 2009, 05:01:27 PM »
Great thread. As someone who is new to an organized application of this mentality, I am grateful.  This is a huge leap for me.

Offline bubtech

• Senior Survivalist
    • BUBWeb.com Websites starting at $10 per YEAR... WHAT!... YEAH!
« Reply #63 on: October 04, 2009, 08:42:39 PM »
great thread, I want to do this but frankly my ADD stops me after the first page.
B

Offline shadowalker_returns

• Senior Survivalist
  • MSB Member
« Reply #64 on: October 08, 2009, 07:37:38 PM »
great thread, I want to do this but frankly my ADD stops me after the first page.
B

If you want to get organized but suffer terminal distraction syndrome... Get a pocket digital voice recorder and record your notes to yourself as you think them. Then transfer the recordings to your computer and transcribe them as time allows. This system works for me. It allows me to multi-task (uh..the other word for ADD) and still record my thoughts, ideas, and notes on various projects. It does require a certain amout of self-discipline but does everything else we desire to accomplish.

Regards,
Shadowalker

Offline Heavy G

• Distorting the Space-Time Continuum
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • A misfit ant in a grasshopper world.
    • 299 Days
« Reply #65 on: October 09, 2009, 06:45:46 AM »

If you want to get organized but suffer terminal distraction syndrome... Get a pocket digital voice recorder and record your notes to yourself as you think them.

Yep.  I do the same thing.  The recorder costs about $40 - $50.  I've used it to remember things that have saved me far more than that.

Offline gigaJack

• Senior Survivalist
  • Click the website icon to view my survial summary
    • The Survival Summary
« Reply #66 on: October 09, 2009, 12:46:01 PM »
We will grab the latest date on the shelf but they mostly all have the same date in the flat we purchase. We will put the new stuff on the bottom and stack the new on top or in the back of the older items. Wifey keeps a list of items that are "getting low". Up to this point we just fill-up the shelf as much as possible. Last week we bought two more 4' shelves. We new have a total of 2 x 4' and 4 x 3'. As I speak, wifey and the kids are out filling up a Sam's Club flatbed. We will get some updated pics.

Very impressive.

How do you rotate your stock?  In other words, let's say you have 12 jars of Ragu and you use 1 per month currently.  Do you let your stock get down to 6 and then buy another case of 12?  How far down do you let your inventory go before you hit your "reorder point"?

Offline gigaJack

• Senior Survivalist
    • The Survival Summary
« Reply #67 on: October 09, 2009, 12:50:12 PM »
I like that it is a semi-small 9mm that I keep in my from pocket (non-chambered). It is kill accurate for me with my sights adjusted almost all the way to the right side. I also have a Crimson Trace laser. Hell, my Ruger LCP is more accurate with almost no sights to speak of.

gigaJack

here is a very specific question for gigajack:
Kel-tec PF9?  Do you like yours, and how were/are your factory sights?  I dont mind the gun, but my factory sights are down/right approximately 4" at 5 yards.  farther than that and you're not hitting your target.  My glock .45 i can put 2" groups consistently at 25 yards. 

Did you have to order a new dovetail for your kel-tec?  A friend bought a pf9, and had the same problem....  Kel-tec has a form you can send them along with 15 dollars and they will send you a corrected sight dovetail.

Offline gigaJack

• Senior Survivalist
    • The Survival Summary
« Reply #68 on: October 09, 2009, 12:51:19 PM »
If I had to guess - it would be Boost Mobile.

gigaJack

wow, great setup, do you know what service or parent company the Kajeet phone service goes through?

Offline gigaJack

• Senior Survivalist
    • The Survival Summary
« Reply #69 on: October 09, 2009, 12:58:32 PM »
I have been away from the survival community for a couple of months now. The reason for the break was Jack began to irritate me to the point where I didn't want anything to do with even the forum. I think I will start to frequent the forum but stay away from his show.

So any unanswered question were because of my absence.

gigaJack

Offline simpleguy

• Survivor
« Reply #70 on: October 09, 2009, 02:19:42 PM »
Regardless of your feelings for Jack, your posts and the accessibility of your plan are amazing!  Thank you!

Offline Ian Adams

• Prepper
    • Ian C. Adams
« Reply #71 on: October 12, 2009, 09:26:29 AM »
What a great link.  Your survival summary has been very helpful in the redesign of my kit.

Many thanks.

Offline madcap1one

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #72 on: October 21, 2009, 04:26:42 PM »
In the above list of antibiotics, does anyone have the dosages that would be prescribed?

Thanks!

Offline gigaJack

• Senior Survivalist
    • The Survival Summary
« Reply #73 on: November 20, 2009, 08:53:11 PM »
The Survival Summary has a new home. The reason for this change is a blog will allow me to post more detailed information.

http://survivalsummary.wordpress.com

gigaJack

Offline sassiesmom

• Prepper
    • Boost Virtual Services
« Reply #74 on: November 23, 2009, 03:50:34 PM »
This is an amazing list, and maybe a bit more advanced for someone like me to 'copy'.  When you were starting out, what things did you focus on and work toward?  The guns/ammo, water. food?
Thanks!

Offline gigaJack

• Senior Survivalist
    • The Survival Summary
« Reply #75 on: November 24, 2009, 09:30:28 AM »
This is an amazing list, and maybe a bit more advanced for someone like me to 'copy'.  When you were starting out, what things did you focus on and work toward?  The guns/ammo, water. food?
Thanks!

When we started we focused on guns and camping supplies. If I had to do over again, I would focus on food and water first. After years of thinking about it, we will most likely not bug out. There would be no way we could survive in the woods with my wife and two daughters. The only bug out plan would be to go to my folks cabin in WI, but their place would not even sustain them let along my family and the other kids/grandkids.

My view is that we will not have an extended SHTF period. I have enough food/water/guns & ammo to suffice for 2+ years holed up in my primary home. I believe that a SHTF would be a little worse than the 1930's depression. I think there would be more looters now then the 1930's.

I look back at all the time and money I spent focusing in maps/compasses, starting fires with out matches or lighters and think most of that time and treasure could have been spent on food and fortifying my house.

We plant to shelter-in-place and make our stand at home then in the wild.

gigaJack

Offline Heavy G

• Distorting the Space-Time Continuum
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • A misfit ant in a grasshopper world.
    • 299 Days
« Reply #76 on: November 24, 2009, 02:38:52 PM »

Yep.  I'll be at my house or my BOL, not the woods.  My wife and kids couldn't handle the woods, and I probably couldn't either for more than a few days.  If it's summer, maybe a couple of weeks but that's pushing it.

I've focused on stored food, guns, and the BOL.  Next phase is more self-reliance with repairing my own stuff and the phase after that is to try to be as self-sufficient as possible with water sources and growing food. 

Offline gigaJack

• Senior Survivalist
    • The Survival Summary
« Reply #77 on: November 25, 2009, 10:43:55 PM »
Posted a video displaying our battery backup system.

The details can be found at:

http://survivalsummary.wordpress.com/2009/11/25/backup-battery-system/

Battery Backup System

gigaJack

wtcreaux

Re: Antibiotics...
« Reply #78 on: December 07, 2009, 06:44:20 PM »
I have modified the following to my Survival Summary (http://docs.google.com/View?docid=dfhfncbq_4cdd482fx).

My folks have another place near the Mexico border and they buy two year supply each year for us. We don't self medicate. They will only be used if directed by a doctor and regular medications cannot be obtained via a pharmacy.

• Amoxicillin - treats many different types of infections caused by bacteria, such as ear infections, bladder infections, pneumonia, gonorrhea, and E. coli or salmonella infection
  • Roxidolin (Doxiciclina/Doxycycline) - Anthrax, Bacterial Infection, Bronchitis, Cholera, Common Cold, Lyme Disease, Malaria, Plague, Pneumonia, Skin Infection, Urinary Tract Infection
  • Genoflox (Ciprofloxacino/Ciprofloxacin) - Anthrax, Bacterial Infection, Bladder Infection, Bone infection, Bronchitis, Cholera, Infectious Diarrhea, Intraabdominal Infection, Joint Infection, Kidney Infections, Meningitis, Plague, Pneumonia, Salmonella, Sinusitis, Skin Infection, Traveler's Diarrhea, Tuberculosis, Typhoid Fever, Urinary Tract Infection
  • Azitromicina/Azithromycin - Bronchitis,Common Cold, Lyme Disease, Pneumonia, Sinusitis, Skin Infection, Tonsillitis, Typhoid Fever

just as an FYI -  antibiotics do NOT work against viruses (listed as "common cold" above).  This is why it is so important to get a proper diagnosis ..............so you can have the proper treatment  :o.

Otherwise, GREAT posts!

Offline gigaJack

• Senior Survivalist
    • The Survival Summary
Re: Antibiotics...
« Reply #79 on: December 07, 2009, 11:14:10 PM »
just as an FYI -  antibiotics do NOT work against viruses (listed as "common cold" above).  This is why it is so important to get a proper diagnosis ..............so you can have the proper treatment  :o.

Otherwise, GREAT posts!

I cannot find where I copied the original text on the treatments from. It might have been a Mexican RX site that has ceases to exists. My parents said that whenever the folks from south of the border get a cold they start popping 'cillin...

My neighbor is my doctor and I only reason I would use any of our stash is if I were prescribed it but it wasn't available in stores...\

gigaJack

Offline idelphic

• I Zgjuari I Dynjasë
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Theoretical Conceptualist - Avatar by Ada
« Reply #80 on: December 08, 2009, 07:07:54 PM »
Regarding your Xantrex XPower Powerpack 1500 and using the Cigarette adapters to power your lights.  You *may* wish to look into the Anderson Power poles. 

While it's personal preference as to if you wish to use them or not, they are a bit cheaper and are just as easy to use.  You can make "break out box's" using the larger (30-80amp) connectors and using longer power cords and plug in more.  Yes I did notice the splitter, but they are also more bulky.

While not the same I have a Vector ElectroMate that has a 80amp Powerpole for charging - it's direct connect to the battery so is a nice tap. It also has a 1000w invertor and two accessory plugs.  But I've added other plugs so that it works with my Ham radio gear.

Just an idea,..

Offline jaegersapper

• Survivor
« Reply #81 on: December 10, 2009, 10:31:59 PM »
Here is a link to my survival summary created with Google docs.
There is also a storage food link in the food section where it links to a spread sheet.

I always feel that I need to read hundreds of pages in books and pages on pages of forums to get to the “meat and potatoes” of ideas and concepts. I work better from lists with small descriptions next to them.

I would be interested in seeing your survival summary.

GigaJack

Outstanding, great job

endurance

« Reply #82 on: December 23, 2009, 04:07:09 PM »
I just wanted to say, as someone who's been prepping since the mid-1980s, starting much the same way, I couldn't agree more.  While I really do value the wildcraft skills that I obtained in my 20s and wouldn't give them up for the world, looking back, I realize how woefully unprepared I was for even the most basic of emergencies until the last couple of years, as I rounded out my food storage and purchased some boring, but necessary items for health and comfort.  While there's little doubt that a well equipped backpacker will survive most short term disasters with their basic ruck, the comfort of someone who's planned by storing what they eat, finding sources and securing alternative energy that's off the grid, and doing simple things like rain barrels is way ahead of the curve. 

I also agree that the most likely SHTF is going to be more Great Depression-like than zombie hordes, nuclear war, or FEMA death camps.  I see the long emergency on the horizon of Peak Oil production meeting increasing demand from Asian countries as the trigger for the gradual decline into a prolonged depression.  When oil prices stay fixed over $100/barrel, the cheap production of food and cheap transportation are over, and that's when we'll have to pay the price for our lifestyles.

Great thread.

When we started we focused on guns and camping supplies. If I had to do over again, I would focus on food and water first. After years of thinking about it, we will most likely not bug out. There would be no way we could survive in the woods with my wife and two daughters. The only bug out plan would be to go to my folks cabin in WI, but their place would not even sustain them let along my family and the other kids/grandkids.

My view is that we will not have an extended SHTF period. I have enough food/water/guns & ammo to suffice for 2+ years holed up in my primary home. I believe that a SHTF would be a little worse than the 1930's depression. I think there would be more looters now then the 1930's.

I look back at all the time and money I spent focusing in maps/compasses, starting fires with out matches or lighters and think most of that time and treasure could have been spent on food and fortifying my house.

gigaJack

Offline gigaJack

• Senior Survivalist
    • The Survival Summary
Re: Survival Summary - SOG Flash II
« Reply #83 on: January 05, 2010, 09:03:00 PM »
Posted a video displaying & sharpening my SOG Flash II knives.

The Survival Summary can be found at:

My YouTube Channel:
http://www.youtube.com/TheSurvivalSummary

SOG Flash II

The details of the video can be found at:
http://survivalsummary.wordpress.com/2010/01/05/sog-flash-ii/

gigaJack

Offline gigaJack

• Senior Survivalist
    • The Survival Summary
« Reply #84 on: January 08, 2010, 01:29:00 PM »
Posted a video displaying & sharpening my Surefire Z2 LED.

My YouTube Channel:

Surefire Z2 LED

The details of the video can be found at:
http://survivalsummary.wordpress.com/2010/01/08/surefire-z2-led/

gigaJack

Offline daemonpi

• Prepper
« Reply #85 on: January 08, 2010, 02:56:43 PM »
I am impressed with your preparations and look forward to reviewing (not in the outloud to others kind of review) the lists posted.  I saw in your pictures of the storage area that some shelves are in front of other things that you may want to get to.  Might I suggest you get some locking wheels for those shelves in order to get to the things in the back and to make restocking easier.  Just take from the the top front then bottom front and move to the back, then when restocking you pull the shelf out, get behind it and push everything to the front and then stack new to the back of the shelf.  Plus access to the stored water and long term foodstuffs would be easier.

Offline gigaJack

• Senior Survivalist
    • The Survival Summary
« Reply #86 on: January 09, 2010, 11:31:49 PM »
I am impressed with your preparations and look forward to reviewing (not in the outloud to others kind of review) the lists posted.  I saw in your pictures of the storage area that some shelves are in front of other things that you may want to get to.  Might I suggest you get some locking wheels for those shelves in order to get to the things in the back and to make restocking easier.  Just take from the the top front then bottom front and move to the back, then when restocking you pull the shelf out, get behind it and push everything to the front and then stack new to the back of the shelf.  Plus access to the stored water and long term foodstuffs would be easier.

We have been using excel to look for a better layout that will afford us more shelves. We found a layout that will allow us to add 4 more 18"x48" shelving units. Crap, just when I though we couldn't possible have any more room for preps - I go and figure out how to cram more goodies...

gigaJack

Offline gigaJack

• Senior Survivalist
    • The Survival Summary
« Reply #87 on: January 09, 2010, 11:35:52 PM »
Posted 4 new videos on every day carry (EDC). I added them to a YouTube playlist. I think it will let you view them here back to back. If not you can view them on my YouTube channel.

My YouTube Channel:

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=EFF9D97D2C2D9649

gigaJack

Offline idelphic

• I Zgjuari I Dynjasë
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Theoretical Conceptualist - Avatar by Ada
« Reply #88 on: January 11, 2010, 08:28:19 AM »
Question on the 511's -

Would you consider them business casual? 

Offline ncjeeper

• Most Noble Order of the Garter Snake
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Oooops!
« Reply #89 on: January 11, 2010, 09:36:14 AM »
Question on the 511's -

Would you consider them business casual? 
For me they are.