Author Topic: Personal documents to include in your BOB/PERK...  (Read 1397 times)

Offline Amerigo

• Survivor
Personal documents to include in your BOB/PERK...
« on: January 01, 2010, 01:05:32 PM »
What personal documents do you think should be included in your BOB/PERK/whatever you want to call your personal emergency bag.  Keep in mind this will be the bag I go to for everything from getting home in an earthquake, to evacuating my home during a local disaster, to heading for the woods in a societal collapse.  Where do you draw the line between documents you need to identify yourself, contact friends and family, and gain access to your assets (i.e. bank accounts), and OPSEC?

Documents that could be scanned, printed, and included: Passport, Drivers License, Concealed Carry Permit, Credit Card, Debit Card, Copy of a voided check, HAM Call Signs of Friends and Family, HAM Repeater frequencies, Phone number and address of friends and family, Copy of Will...

I'm just brainstorming here.  I'm scanning documents right now, so throw in your two cents about what would be smart versus stupid.  It seems like getting your pack stolen (whether before any disaster strikes or during an emergency) could spell a nasty case of identity theft.   

Offline VeggieDog

• Survivor
Re: Personal documents to include in your BOB/PERK...
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2010, 01:30:51 PM »
I don't think there should be any sensitive documents (copies of passport, social security card, drivers license) in your BOB unless it's with you 24/7.  If you leave it in your vehicle, it's subject to be stolen and your identity would be compromised.  Jack has talked about the topic of encrypting addresses and phone numbers so they are useless if stolen. 

Offline idelphic

• I Zgjuari I DynjasĂ«
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Theoretical Conceptualist - Avatar by Ada
Re: Personal documents to include in your BOB/PERK...
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2010, 06:21:09 PM »
This has actually been covered a time or two.  But it's a topic that changes to some degree.

If you have paper copies of your info, then no, you don't want anything that can be used against you.

Now if you are talking about scanning your document, storing it on a thumb drive,.. then you can store that in an encrypted file then there isn't any reason why you can not have all documents.