Author Topic: Best way to purify water?  (Read 1956 times)

Offline 22skill

• Prepper
Best way to purify water?
« on: October 02, 2010, 09:57:30 AM »
Hi,

Thank you all for your great advice to my questions so far...

I wanted to ask the following. I am comfortable purifying water with bleach and have done it in the past. I think this would be a good way to purify water in a long-term bug in where water was available through rain or similar.

I want to ask what is the best option to purify water to put in a BOB? I imagine tablets, but I also think the portable plastic water filters with pumps must be a very good option as well. Does anyone have any input on this? If you think the second option is best, are there any well-known models that are guaranteed to work well? They can be expensive so I would rather buy one good one and be over with it, than buy a bad one and be out the money when it breaks.

Offline Who...me?

• Survivalist Mentor
Re: Best way to purify water?
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2010, 10:11:09 AM »
The ONLY 100% sure fire way to purify water is to boil it.  Filters, bleach, assorted tablets and ultra violet light will mostly do the job and for most purposes will be enough. 

I use bleach for water storage and have several Katadyn filters is my assorted bags.  I recently purchased a CleanStream Gravity Microfilter  (http://cascadedesigns.com/platypus/filtration-and-storage/cleanstream-gravity-filter/product) for my primary bag and like it a lot.

Offline Santander

• Prepper
  • Esse quam videri (To be, rather than to seem)
    • Prepared Citizens Network of NC
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2010, 01:31:11 PM »
You don't even need to boil the water.  Once it gets up to 160 degrees F, it is pasteurized.
At that point all of the "bad" organisms in the water are dead.
There is something called a WAter Pasteurization Indicator (WAPI) which is little more than a piece of food-grade tubing with a special food-grade wax inside. Once the wax melts and goes to the bottom, it means that the water has reached 160+ Deg F. and is safe to drink.  http://pcnnc.org/pcnnc/index.php/food-a-water/3-what-is-a-wapi.html

For the people in and around Wake County, NC... we will be making these at our next meeting and you are welcome to come and make some for yourself and enjoy a cookout at the same time.

Tony

Offline Who...me?

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2010, 02:44:11 PM »
Very true Santander...but you may not always have a thermometer or any other way of determining temperature. So all you have to do is make the water boil and you know beyond a shadow of a doubt that the water has reached 210 deg.  We can't always depend on some dodad or tech to help us out.

Offline Santander

• Prepper
  • Esse quam videri (To be, rather than to seem)
    • Prepared Citizens Network of NC
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2010, 03:40:46 PM »
Agreed. And that is why we prepare. Since this was in the context of a BoB, it seems logical that you have a chance to prepare for that. A 2 liter bottle and a WAPI will do the job.
When you don't have the tools, then sure, bring it to a boil and you'll be fine.