Author Topic: Emergency Preparations Team at work.  (Read 2349 times)

Offline Amator

• Senior Survivalist
Emergency Preparations Team at work.
« on: October 07, 2010, 02:17:22 PM »
I just came back from the first meeting of our company's new "Emergency Preparedness Team".  I didn't expect anything more than plans for fire drills and WalMart First Aid kits, but I was pleasantly surprised.  The beginning of the meeting was going around and explaining our experience with the subject and what we hoped to accomplish.  After that the person leading the meeting talked about his experience with CERT training and encouraged all of us to go through our county's 8-week CERT course.  We also discussed bringing in Red Cross Trainers for CPR/First Aid, and investing in an AED system for each of our three buildings.

The biggest surprise came when the 40 or so people in the meeting shared their experience.  In our group we had a former cop, a former EMT/ERT, a competitive shooter, two veterans - one only out a couple of years and was a trained medic specializing in IED wounds, two lifeguards, an avid kayaker, a former college police officer, a HAM operator who has worked in Search & Rescue, and lots of people certified in CPR and/or First Aid. 

I look forward to getting to know some of these people better.  At least two of them I think might be closet preppers.

Offline OKGranny

• TSP Pooper-Scooper
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Death from the knees down
Re: Emergency Preparations Team at work.
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2010, 02:25:56 PM »
You'd be amazed at the closet preppers out there. The first one I met was a woman in her late 50's, never married, seemed to spend all her time getting her hair done and shopping for clothes and talking. One of the biggest chatterers I ever met. Was I ever in for a surprise when we got well acquainted. Perfect homestead, guns, ammo, lots and lots of stored food, water, necessities, large guard dog, big stocked pond right outside and the list goes on.

Offline daved

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2010, 08:55:01 PM »
  At least two of them I think might be closet preppers.
It's amazing all the people who prep that you never know about. My dad was a prepper and I never knew it until he died. Cleaning out his stuff with my mom was very eye opening. Cases of MRE's, guns and ammo, water, all kinds of stuff.
I hope there are a lot of closet preppers. The more people who are ready for bad things to happen the better.

tallfoo

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2010, 12:20:35 AM »
Someone at your work introduced themselves as a "competitive shooter"?  That would never happen at my work.

Offline PAGUY

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2010, 04:05:05 AM »
Someone at your work introduced themselves as a "competitive shooter"?  That would never happen at my work.
Why do you say that?

Offline Amator

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2010, 09:34:10 AM »

This guy is great, but he doesn't display much OPSEC.  He has radical political stickers on his car, gets into loud discussions/debates with the other guys in his department on various issues, and I've seen a crated AK47 in his car's backseat before once when I parked next to him.  Cool guy, but definitely not "the grey man".

Offline PAGUY

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2010, 12:08:34 PM »
I can appreciate that type of person. 

Offline AZCeltic formerly occeltic

• Survivalist Mentor
  • The Kilted One
    • Occeltic's Blog
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2010, 09:28:24 PM »
Great topic Amator. Over the past several weeks, I have had the opportunity to take part in Red Cross training at my office here in Orange County. We have a large scale staged event scheduled later this month simulating a large scale earthquake disaster with casualties. The training was done by the Red Cross, and included training in Building and Damage assessment, Light Search and Rescue, Triage, and Emergency First Aid. There are a number of people who have volunteered to be casualties, and they will be made up to look like the real thing. I hope that this type of disaster never hits here, or while I am at work, but I am looking forward to the experience. The local emergency and law enforcement personnel have told us that we would be on our own for several hours before they could attend to us, so it is being left up to us to be prepared.

Occeltic