Author Topic: Can you drink rusty water?  (Read 5212 times)

Offline Amerigo

• Survivor
Can you drink rusty water?
« on: February 09, 2011, 06:24:20 PM »
Today I turned on the tap water (in the apartment complex I live in), and it sputtered and spewed forth rusty water.  The hot water just sputtered some air for a while before it started spitting out brown water.  It eventually went away, but I was thinking...

First and foremost that I'm an idiot for not having my 55 gallon water barrel filled up at the moment. 

Second... do you think you could still drink this water if you dropped a Micropur tablet in (chlorine dioxide).  I do have a water filter, but assuming that was gone, would the tablets make it drinkable?  It would kill any living things, that's for sure, but rust isn't organic (unless I failed chemistry, which I didn't). 

What do you think?

Offline reefmarker

• Survivalist Mentor
Re: Can you drink rusty water?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2011, 08:09:12 AM »
Today I turned on the tap water (in the apartment complex I live in), and it sputtered and spewed forth rusty water.  The hot water just sputtered some air for a while before it started spitting out brown water.  It eventually went away, but I was thinking...

First and foremost that I'm an idiot for not having my 55 gallon water barrel filled up at the moment. 

Second... do you think you could still drink this water if you dropped a Micropur tablet in (chlorine dioxide).  I do have a water filter, but assuming that was gone, would the tablets make it drinkable?  It would kill any living things, that's for sure, but rust isn't organic (unless I failed chemistry, which I didn't). 

What do you think?

If it was just rust I wouldn't worry about drinking it.  Lots of wells are loaded with iron that ends up rusty, lots more with iron that ends up turning the water black when it reacts with something else, can't remember, that is even less interesting to drink, but won't hurt you.

If this is an isolated event, it's probably not rust, it is mud!  A pipe broke somewhere got repaired and a big slug of mud made it into your water pipes.  Theoretically you should be ok with chlorine, but it is still yucky to drink.  Our toilets used to collect a nice red ring in the bottoms from red clay separating out.  We could usually tie this to a new house being built in the area.  You couldn't tell the water was dirty except if it sat for a long time the clay would separate out and sink to the bottom.

Offline sdcharger

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2011, 10:04:54 AM »
Don't worry Amerigo, the water is safe to drink and the food is safe to eat ;)

Offline Alpha Mike

• Survivalist Mentor
  • I'm preparing for a lack of imagination.
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2011, 12:34:28 PM »
Rust is not a problem, it just makes the water a little chewy tasting.  Filter out any big chunks and enjoy.

nkawtg

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2011, 12:42:25 PM »