Author Topic: The florida keys survival.  (Read 2731 times)

Offline 3:16

• Prepper
  • I love God, my Wife, my Son and my country.
The florida keys survival.
« on: April 30, 2011, 11:21:13 PM »
I'm very well prepared to take on pretty much anything that could happen short of a direct nuclear blast (I love what Jack S. Said about standing on a mountain top) BUT! Prepping and new ideas are always out there and your never fully preped stuff happens. I'm just looking for anyone who has anyone ideas on survival or prepping  of any kind any fashion in the FLORIDA KEYS I'm not going to list what I have in line for prepping becauae I'd like to hear unempted answers. Thank you all for what you do to help myself and everyone . :)
« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 11:33:29 PM by 3:16 »

Offline Asclepius

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Klaatu barada nikto.
    • Prep Roll
Re: The florida keys survival.
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2011, 11:57:13 PM »
Salt, and lime.

Offline Asclepius

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Klaatu barada nikto.
    • Prep Roll
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2011, 11:58:07 PM »
Lots of plywood and screws. And a screw driver. And sandbags.

• Prepper
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2011, 12:10:56 AM »
Thank you asclepius wood is a deff staple in the keys  I have two lime trees and 400 pounds of salt so no worries Haha and as far as shutter material the whole house has catagory 5 aluminum shutters on its including doors windows wverything and there lockable :) from inside or out  good feed back I'm going to get some sand bags on that notion they are 100 for 20 lincolns

Offline Nicodemus

• HooHa Man! AKA Docs Whipping Boy
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
  • Wake up and smell the cat food n your bank account
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2011, 08:27:43 AM »
I must admit that I'm not very familiar with the Florida Keys and more specifically I don't know where you live on the Keys, so the following might not be the best advice. It's just a few thoughts that come to mind when I think about the general environment.

If you rely on a mainland based source of fresh water, I'd think about a way to supply your own potable water. Rain catchment, a solar powered desalinator or similarly powered well with hard water softener that exploits the Biscayne Aquifier might work as well.

I would try may hand at container or raised bed gardening and take advantage of the tropical environment to plant some fruit trees that are well suited to the location.

I would think that a small boat and a lot of fishing gear and cast nets wouldn't hurt either.

• Prepper
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2011, 09:01:32 AM »
So you can maybe understand a little more on where I live you can go to the intro thread and image almost the last one post 4003? And keynoter.net thats for the feed back nicodemus

Thox Spuddy

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2011, 05:34:47 PM »
John 3:16: do you employ solar power in any way?

• Prepper
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2011, 05:49:20 PM »
In a way an elderly woman who is my closest neighbor about 200ish yards away has 100%off grid  solar power(her late husband was into solar energy and outfitted the house for  off grid power before he passed away) offered to exchange power for supplies after the last hurricane scare I went to her and told her I had  plenty of supplies and she just needs to tell me or my wife anything she may need she accepted gratefully and told me how her 2000 + square foot home was fully off grid and showed us her set up and said if anything happens we may utilize power for charging our large banks of batteries and shes gone half the year and granted access to her home in the evemt of a real disaster. So I guess you could saying so?