Author Topic: salt water purification  (Read 3270 times)

Offline 3:16

• Prepper
  • I love God, my Wife, my Son and my country.
salt water purification
« on: May 02, 2011, 08:06:17 AM »
 Hello all in my quest to become more and more prepared for any and all situation I hit a bump in the road a few weeks ago..... well OK a mountain, I live in the Florida keys and to put it in short-There are 42 bridges connecting more than 200 islands over a 145-mile distance with a VERY VERY dense population that goes up some 3 people a week that's a lot for down here!!!!!!approximately 165,000 people living in the keyswith an unknown number of people visiting for the weekend vacation etc. i believe the last statistic said were some 60% over the " safe" limit on person per square mile. and for the whole stretch of keys its a two way road...... so  back to topic just giving some insight we produce nothing in the keys as far as stability goes we have nothing as far as manufacturing goes food water goods of anykind!!!!!!!! minus fish and our regulations are simply like jail. and if theres a fender bender any where in a 145 mile distance traffic stops for 20min! everything is trucked in from the main land. we saw in hurricane Wilma ( which i stayed for) it took the national guard almost 1 week to get to us in any numbers to bring medical food and water and even then it was very very very! tight rationing really not enough to survive. IN LEIU water is imperative and we get nothing if any size disaster happens and I knew i could have my 300gal water tank filled to the brim and all 55gal drums packed with rain water and once that's up since theres not much rain i would be up an UN drinkable creek, that water supply would dwindle quickly due to the fact that i would be rationing out some of my stores to people in need of them so I embarked on a mission to make the billions of trillions of gallons of water that surrounds me into safe drinkable water! many systems that can handle our level of salinity are commercial grade 1000+ gallons an hour and VERY expensive and costly to maintain and suck precious power. A few days ago I actually had a dream,( the dream was of an actual day) I was on the family commercial fishing boat and we had just got back from a 3day trip and we were to tired to wash down the vessel we always wash her down right awaybecause of salt's damaging effects and later the next day I came out and saw the boat had huge 3 inch crystals all over her it looked like a high school girls cell phone with the stick on gems all over it!! and I woke up and wrote down a few things i remembered. later that day I was thinking all day about the dream and thinking back to that day and realized DUH!!!! water evaporates and salt stays and undissolved to I have built a small scale replica of a much larger contraption that consists of a 30 gallon SS cylinder 3feet wide 2ft tall and a sealed lid on it with 40ft of coiled brass or copper tubing going in an arch to another 500 gallon tank and you have a a pump pumping in water to the 30 gallon tank as it boils and the steam goes through all the copper tubing you have coconut husk packed into a fitting mid line and the water drops into the larger holding tank and treat water with sodium dichloro-s-triazinetrione dihydrate 99% pure ( i have tons of this for the Jacuzzi) and you have drinkable water!!!!! I did this on smaller scale and i figure you'd have to open the boiler and clean of salt every 60-80 gallons because of our salinity levels unless i configure a slow flow through methon but that's the simple explanation of how to make salt water into fresh very good tasting water!!! ! I'll post a vid soon and water lab test results.

Offline ChEng

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Chief Engineer
Re: salt water purification
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2011, 04:18:31 PM »
3:16,

Yes, a still is a great way to purify water (still need the fuel though), and one of the few ways that I know of to desalinate sea water.

Nice description of the problem and your solution.

+1

Offline Dakotaslim

• Prepper
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2011, 11:10:07 PM »
I read about a scientist that proved you can drink sea water safely as long as you start drinking it before you get dehydrated. Once you become dehydrated, it becomes dangerous because you need enough water in you to filter out the salt. As long as you are adequately hydrated, your kidneys can remover the excess salt without a problem.

I'd look at building a solar distiller. It you design it well, you could have it packed up safe and pull it out after a storm to generate water. Not as much as using fuel, but enough to keep you hydrated...

Offline mangyhyena

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2011, 01:01:34 PM »
You could use the sun as your fuel source for distillation.  A parabolic trough and a long pipe for heating the salt water.  Use a pump to push salt water into the pipe at a very slow rate.  Put your copper coils at the other end of pipe to catch the steam & condense it back to water, sans the salt.

I don't know if a setup like that would desalinate enough water for your needs each day, but it might be worth looking into.  Search 'parabolic trough' on YouTube for a look at what I'm talking about.

• Prepper
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2011, 11:25:00 PM »
3:16,

Yes, a still is a great way to purify water (still need the fuel though), and one of the few ways that I know of to desalinate sea water.

Nice description of the problem and your solution.

+1

ThankYou! I've done this method with a propane and wood fire and works good just slower and not as simple to regulate the temp.

• Prepper
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2011, 11:28:08 PM »
I read about a scientist that proved you can drink sea water safely as long as you start drinking it before you get dehydrated. Once you become dehydrated, it becomes dangerous because you need enough water in you to filter out the salt. As long as you are adequately hydrated, your kidneys can remover the excess salt without a problem.

I'd look at building a solar distiller. It you design it well, you could have it packed up safe and pull it out after a storm to generate water. Not as much as using fuel, but enough to keep you hydrated...

I'veDone this and I do not advise this to each his own. I am thinking of maybe using a solar oven to boil the water. Thank you for your imput.

• Prepper
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2011, 11:31:43 PM »
You could use the sun as your fuel source for distillation.  A parabolic trough and a long pipe for heating the salt water.  Use a pump to push salt water into the pipe at a very slow rate.  Put your copper coils at the other end of pipe to catch the steam & condense it back to water, sans the salt.

I don't know if a setup like that would desalinate enough water for your needs each day, but it might be worth looking into.  Search 'parabolic trough' on YouTube for a look at what I'm talking about.

ThankYou very much, I will looking into this having redundancy of a few systems  to get the job done my current set up if I scale it up a bit will suffice tje 9  people I would be providing for.

Offline Maranhig

• Prepper
  • Admin target practice
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2011, 07:18:42 PM »
There is a guy by the name of Dan Rojas who lives in Florida and sells fresnel lenses and parabolic mirrors that would work nicely for solar distillation of water.
I'm looking into one of his lenses for that and solar cooking. His channel on youtube is green power science or some such.

I'm not a chemist but I'd be wary of the sodium dichloral s triazinetrione dihydrate  as being safe to further decontaminate the distilled water.
I'd personally stick with calcium or sodium hypochlorite.