Author Topic: Uses for 5 Gal US Gas Can  (Read 4035 times)

Offline 22skill

• Prepper
Uses for 5 Gal US Gas Can
« on: July 09, 2011, 10:59:23 AM »
Hi all,

I was given a 5 Gallon US army gas can, but it has a decent amount of rust around the inside edges (the outside is fine). Can I store any fuel or liquid in a metal can w/ rust such as this? I thought it would be great to store fuel or water until I saw the rust...

Thanks!

Offline ncjeeper

• Most Noble Order of the Garter Snake
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Oooops!
Re: Uses for 5 Gal US Gas Can
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2011, 01:39:08 PM »
Not sure how much time and effort you want to put into it, but you can remove the rust and seal it up. The trick  we use for old automotive gas tanks is to drop a couple of feet of chain inside of a tank. shake the tank around letting the chain break up the rust. Then clean it out and seal it up with a special sealer. For your can you could use a small piece of chain or maybe even some BB's or ball bearings to remove the rust.

Offline 22skill

• Prepper
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2011, 04:50:58 PM »
thanks. Is there anything I can use it for as-is? I Maybe some type of delicate food storage w/ a mylar bag inside?  Olive Oil?

Offline Herbalpagan

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2011, 05:06:38 PM »
thanks. Is there anything I can use it for as-is? I Maybe some type of delicate food storage w/ a mylar bag inside?  Olive Oil?
not a good idea, imo.

OldManSchmidt

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2011, 12:54:13 AM »
I'll second Herbalpagan and add my own, "It's a terrible idea!"  Rust is not good for human consumption.  Nothing in gasoline or gasoline residue is good for human consumption.  Even with mylar bags, you cannot guarantee nothing from the can will penetrate to what you are storing.  I applaud you for trying to find a use "as is", but there is too much risk for too little reward in this case.

And it would take longer, but sand would work well in place of chain with less noise.

Offline PAGUY

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2011, 06:37:49 PM »
I have to echo theoldman's advise about food storage.  It is a bad idea any way that you put it to put any type of food in it.  If you do not want to go through the bother of cleaning it up and using it for fuel I would only suggest using it as a giant paperweight. 

OldManSchmidt

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2011, 07:25:27 PM »
I guess you could put a lifetime supply of .22 ammo in it for storage.

Offline ChrisFox

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2011, 07:49:00 PM »
If it were me, I'd just chop the top off, drill some holes in the bottom then plant something in it. Just tell people who ask it's an "antique" and cost a boatload of cash.

Offline mike77

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2011, 10:48:42 PM »
Not sure how much time and effort you want to put into it, but you can remove the rust and seal it up. The trick  we use for old automotive gas tanks is to drop a couple of feet of chain inside of a tank. shake the tank around letting the chain break up the rust. Then clean it out and seal it up with a special sealer. For your can you could use a small piece of chain or maybe even some BB's or ball bearings to remove the rust.

This is great info. I didn't know this was possible. Now if I come across one in poor shape I might not pass it up. Any idea what the sealer is that should be used?

Offline trooper dan

• Prepper
  • Cycle, work, invest, sleep, eat, repeat.
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2011, 12:40:05 AM »
Cut the back out and hide things inside it. Put the can up against the wall concealing the hole you made in the back. Place the can in a shed or garage where it will naturally blend in. Someone looking for easier pickings will only think its a fuel can.

Offline ncjeeper

• Most Noble Order of the Garter Snake
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Oooops!
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2011, 09:42:08 AM »
This is great info. I didn't know this was possible. Now if I come across one in poor shape I might not pass it up. Any idea what the sealer is that should be used?
Here you go. I like eastwood's products.
http://www.eastwood.com/ew-gas-tank-sealer-kits-for-cars.html?srccode=ga140090&gclid=CMDdn_aR_KkCFcTe4AodZU-MXw

Offline joeinwv

• The Bee Whisperer
  • Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2011, 08:17:43 PM »
You use the same process and chemicals to refurbish old motorcycle gas tanks (steel tanks).

I have seen many good reviews of POR15 in this application.

My old US gas can stores old motor oil - good bonfire starter.