Author Topic: If you have to bug out with no BOL?  (Read 9415 times)

amanadoo

If you have to bug out with no BOL?
« on: January 03, 2012, 09:49:07 AM »
This has surely been discussed around here before, so if I am double-posting something please let me know.

For those with no second property, or no property at all, and no family near-by, where in the heck do you plan to go if you need to bug out?!

Here's my situation...We are military. We have a forever-home (/BOL), but it's 2500 miles away from us right now. And of course we could just go further away at any time. So if there was something catastrophic, if it was at all possible, we'd be trying to get out there. But we could never go there, with plans to come back here.

So if there was a situation where we needed to leave for just a week or two, or if we couldn't get back home, we would be so screwed. We'd really have no choice but to hunker down.

In our emergency plans, I have hotels and campgrounds mapped out in several directions out away from the city. But in winter we couldn't camp (we have two small kids and a dog and are not outfitted with sub-zero camping stuff)...not to mention my husband would likely either be gone or recalled to work in the event of an emergency and it would just be me and the littles. I am having a hard time locking down the town/county plan for emergencies around here. As far as I can see, they don't have a real community plan for where to meet, et cetera. In any case, they don't have it published. I am thinking about making some phone calls and asking for some meetings with the powers that be in these matters, in my capacity as ombudsman for my husband's ship, though. I am further appalled that the Navy base doesn't have an emergency outline in place for dependents...though again maybe they do and they just don't put the info out there (???)

ANYway, am I not thinking of something? Where would you go, if you have to leave but have no place of your own?

amanadoo

Re: If you have to bug out with no BOL?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2012, 09:51:16 AM »
This is exactly where a camper would come in mighty handy. I know it's not a cure-all, or the most comfortable especially in bad weather, but man would that lend an awful lot of peace of mind.

Offline cmxterra

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Bugging out in style.
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2012, 09:55:11 AM »
Just a few days to the weeks it might take to get to Texas.

In winter there is a heater for the van area so the kids and family would stay warm (multi fuel so will burn just about anything I can get my hands on)

Offline The Professor

• Tactical Skittle Assassin
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • All we have to do is create another universe
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2012, 10:15:54 AM »
A few questions, if I may. . .

1.  Is your husband full-time, or naval reserve?

2.  Do you live on-post or on the economy?

3.  Do you have any friends or family in the immediate area?

I'll add more after you answer those questions, but do let me say this: Each branch of the military has emergency prep plans for their bases.  They just don't necessarily share them.  Imagine, for example, a situation where everyone knows that off-post dependents are put into Facilities A, B, and C when a disaster strikes.

Now imagine that either some terrorist or foreign military entity knows this.    Not a good thing.  If the disaster is big enough, the base will have a way to move you from Point  A to Point B (another base, for example).  The military takes care of it's families.  Imagine all those soldiers, sailors, airmen and marines who would have some major problems if they knew their families were in danger.

Just wanted to throw that out there.

The Professor

amanadoo

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2012, 10:50:46 AM »
A few questions, if I may. . .

1.  Is your husband full-time, or naval reserve?

2.  Do you live on-post or on the economy?

3.  Do you have any friends or family in the immediate area?

Absolutely, great point about the info being public. I hadn't thought of that. I just emailed our ship Lt (my contact person for my ombudsman responsibilities) and hopefully he can get the plan to me so that I can in turn share it with the spouses. I am a nutjob about OPSEC, so I will of course stress it in this case as well. If they don't put the plan out there, how do they plan on letting people know in the case of an emergency? Do you know?

Anyway, The Huz is full time AD Coast Guard. We live in housing, but it is about 20-30 minutes from the Navy base that is our home port. All of our friends are new, military friends (if you are/have been a military family, you know what I mean--we band together immediately because we need to, but we are all acutely aware of how temporary 99% of these relationships are) and they are extremely local--within 20 minutes drive. We move every two years (three if we're lucky/unlucky depending on your view lol).

I am moving ahead with an emergency awareness program for our families. But I still have the same original question for my own family.

Offline The Professor

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2012, 11:32:24 AM »
Absolutely, great point about the info being public. I hadn't thought of that. I just emailed our ship Lt (my contact person for my ombudsman responsibilities) and hopefully he can get the plan to me so that I can in turn share it with the spouses. I am a nutjob about OPSEC, so I will of course stress it in this case as well. If they don't put the plan out there, how do they plan on letting people know in the case of an emergency? Do you know?

Anyway, The Huz is full time AD Coast Guard. We live in housing, but it is about 20-30 minutes from the Navy base that is our home port. All of our friends are new, military friends (if you are/have been a military family, you know what I mean--we band together immediately because we need to, but we are all acutely aware of how temporary 99% of these relationships are) and they are extremely local--within 20 minutes drive. We move every two years (three if we're lucky/unlucky depending on your view lol).

I am moving ahead with an emergency awareness program for our families. But I still have the same original question for my own family.

Well, I doubt that they'd give it to you, in all honesty.  Generally, that sort of thing requires a clearance.  Sure, you're okay. . .but if you're going to share it with all the spouses?  Are all those spouses trustworthy enough?  If they leave it at home, perhaps one of the kids may take it to school, or tell their friends.

As to how you'd be notified. . .I'd be willing to bet that you have an Alert List.  This same list would be used to contact the families, if the servicemember were deployed.  I'd also bet that your husband, along with everyone else living off base, has provided a map with directions to your home, along with alternative methods of communication.  I can practically guarantee this if he's been deployed.  Sorry to be so macabre, but if he were injured or killed, the CG/Navy would have to know how to get in contact with you.  This same information would be used in case of a similar emergency.

In all honesty, you'd probably be best working out a 3-7 day kit with clothes, necessary medications and prescriptions, some basic food supplies and as much of your identifying and important documents as possible.  Have this ready to go.  You may also want to build a phone tree of your unit's dependents so you can all follow up with each other. 

I'll write more later, but I have a meeting to attend (and have put it off as long as possible).

The Professor

amanadoo

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2012, 11:52:25 AM »

As to how you'd be notified. . .I'd be willing to bet that you have an Alert List. 

They don't. That's one of the things I am currently getting together. We are ready to go with BOBs of varying capacities, and that's one of the things I am encouraging others to put together with my project here. We military spouses are left to our own devices, in discombobulating circumstances, so often. It can be easy to get used to the chaos. I want everyone I can get the info to, to have these same plans in place.

So is that the general consensus though...either camp or hotel if you don't have a BOL or friends near by? I guess I'm just feeling how inadequate that is, and wondering if anyone has any better ideas, as inevitably y'all do :)

Offline cranston

• Survivor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2012, 11:53:06 AM »
I forget where I read it, but the word for someone bugging out without a place to bug out to is "refugee".  I hope you are able to address that soon- this is a good spot to look for advice.  My advice is to make what plans you can to come up with a destination and a means to get there.  Don't be a refugee.

Offline The Professor

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2012, 04:49:23 PM »
They don't.

Okay. . . .how does the unit alert it's members if they're needed on short notice? 

Perhaps I explained it wrong.   Every military unit has a way to contact it's members.  I know of no unit. . . reserve, auxiliary, active or otherwise. . .who does not have contact information for those people assigned to it.  If those members don't show up to formation, then there's supposed to be a way to contact them.    They, at the very least, should have your address.  Every unit I know has a map drawn by the servicemember from their duty station to their home address.  This is usually kept in their personnel files as well as in the senior NCO's office.  If someone has a heart-attack, falls and hits his head, or simply doesn't show up for scheduled duty, the staff has to have a way to try and find their next-of-kin (or them). 

I find it inconceivable that this is not the case (and I will be honest, I'm not sure of CG regs).  Now, again, for security reasons, they may not necessarily share the list with you, but you may want to verify with your husband that this doesn't exist.

The Professor

amanadoo

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2012, 05:18:30 PM »
Hmm this got off track. I feel like I am offending. If so, I apologize.

Of course, my husband's command knows how to get ahold of him--his cell phone. Which is with him 100% of the time. So, if there is an emergency, and he's at work, they are not necessarily going to know how to contact ME. Know what I mean, Jean? Anyway, I am working toward taking care of that...and it wasn't my question. It's my fault for always including extraneous information in my questions. I can't resist long-windedness when typing!

Offline The Professor

• Survival Demonstrator
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2012, 06:08:04 PM »
Well, I don't think it's off track.  What I was trying to determine was that your husband's unit does have a way to contact you.   They won't necessarily share all of their info with you, including what will happen if they have to secure you in case of an emergency. 

Most likely, what will happen is that you'll either get a phone call or a knock on the door saying you have 15 minutes to get a bag together.  The person who shows up may be an MP/SP, or it may be one of the spouses of someone in your husband's chain of command (either is very likely. . .when I was in and deployed, the wives were like a very tight-knit intelligence unit. . .way more organized and effective than any military outfit).  You would then be taken somewhere that's secure for the threat you face.  It may be on your base, it may be on another.  You will most likely be given an option, at some point, to relocate upon your will and, a way to get there (e.g., bus/plane tickets, a MAC flight, travel compensation, etc.).

Additionally, there are a lot of resources available to dependents in time of emergencies.  If a major disaster strikes, your best bet may be on a military base.  You may not be the most comfortable, but they can, and will, take care of you.  If the situation requires you to choose to leave without any support or assistance from the military, then that IS upon you.

Again, I'm admitting my personal ignorance of the CG, and it's way of life.  I'm more familiar with the Army and Air Force.  In both of those cases, I've seen the military go to great extremes to take care of dependents following disasters.

The biggest part of the problem is in the early hours.  You may want to get a copy of the Chaplain assigned to your unit.  Keep in mind that a Chaplain's duties are not limited to religious services.  They provide a liaison between servicemembers, their dependents and the military.  His or her name and number should be in your phone and written down.  Any problems and you should attempt to contact them, immediately.

Now, I'm making the assumption that you want military help.

If not, then I'd suggest looking outside the city in which you currently live for alternatives.  Choose areas that have airports, even small ones.  You said you have hotels and campgrounds mapped out.  Hotels are okay, but they may (and have in the past) raise their rates, just because they can.  This may make it difficult for you to stay for any length of time.  Campgrounds, in the winter, may be an option.  You may want to check and see if any of them have cabins you can rent.  Their prices are regulated by the federal or state governments and the rates for the cabins won't go up in such a short period of time.  But, these are often reserved well in advance by recreational campers.

A small van, or camper, may well be the way to go.  This gives you a lot of options you wouldn't otherwise have.  You can remain mobile, have at least a moderate amount of supplies, and can get into many of the RV/Van-oriented campgrounds for a lot less than a hotel or motel.  As has been pointed out, it may not be the most comfortable, but having one can be quite comforting, especially if you don't have any resources from which to draw.

The Professor

amanadoo

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2012, 06:14:48 PM »
LOL yep, there's a disconnect. Though I appreciate your help! We do not have a chaplain. As ombudsman, *I* am the official liaison appointed by The Coast Guard between command and dependents.

That's a good idea about the airports, I hadn't considered that.

amanadoo

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2012, 06:16:18 PM »
Just to clarify, some CG units do have chaplains. Some do not.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2012, 07:34:10 PM »
I have three BOL's.. and I do not own a single one of them.

BOL #1 is private so I would be trespassing. I am not going to say more than that, but there is more than enough land that no one will easily find me. I did choose it accidently for the location near me away from sewer, electric, gas mains and then found out who owned it and it is unlikely the landowners would get violent about it. I also chose it due to the lower elevation than #2 and #3, so it will be snow free all but a couple days of the year. It has extremely good water and I go there 1-2x a month to check to see what edible foods are there. I also go there when it is storming or other off weather to check and it is always calm in there. I have 4 routes to get there and can on foot.

BOL #2 is twice the distance from me as BOL #1. It would be an hour drive or 3-4 day walk to get there (gotta love hills  :o ). It can be gotten there by multiple different routes, Most of them off the beaten path. I will just call it public lands. It has good water and shelter. Not as good of food resources as #1. It is higher elevation and would be in snow at least 2 months of the year. The first summer I was here I really missed the bush and seeing so many houses was making me feel caged. So I burnt a couple tankers worth of fuel that summer and took EVERY road ----> that way that I could. And did.. and a few times I was almost to Bend.. and I was like "Ummm, I didn't know I was that close".. and I am.. as the bird flies or the goat path takes you (not recommended for the weak of heart on my trips!)

BOL #3/#4 is very different than the other 2 and about 3 hours drive from here or a 10 day walk. I do not own it, but a friend does. It is bare land, she doesn't go there. But I have particular reasons for choosing this one. Mostly for the two mountain ranges between the ocean and the BOL, and for the lack of rain. It has 2 main ways to get there by vehicle, I have various choices by foot. There is no water unless I change my mind of the EXACT spot, there is limited wild edibles. I have not been to these locations yet as a BOL, but I know it exists. And because there is certain aspects of this place I chose it. But if need be, I can do a small trek to get access to water.

On a sidenote: My family has a beach house on the oceanfront and it is in the tsunami zone. I have also mapped out my plan of escape from there as well. Pretty much FORGET the vehicle as I feel it would be a death trap to get into it as you have to go 2 miles north up a hill to a dead end or south to the main road and it is too low as well. It would get bottlenecked too quickly IF anyone actually figures out there is a problem. There are supposedly sirens which will go off with a tsunami warning alarm. My BOB goes in the house with me as well as SP's Ergo. I sleep in a particular room and I know my path of least resistance UP that hellacious 1,200 ft climb up the mountain and to keep on going as long as I can and I know I will be throwing up when I get to the top of it in that great of a haste. The BOB may get ditched partway up the hill and hope for the best for it. Yeah.. I sleep with a flashlight within reach there.

Cedar

Offline rogersorders

• Survivor
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2012, 07:13:21 AM »
We are in the same boat, kind of, so I am interested in where this thread will go.

My family, two adults and four kids 8 years old and under, is living on a small military kasern in Germany.  There aren’t many reasons to bug out but I know they are there.  Not speaking the language and having no friends or family in the area (continent) does make bugging out more difficult. 

This is my train of thought, feel free to derail and blow it up so I can make it better.

We live on a small, reasonably secure, base (I can walk around the entire thing in 30min).

In the case of any economic/political upheaval or pandemic, the plan is to bug in.  Right now we can do that for 30 days, hoping to get to 90 soon.

If we do have leave there are a number of similar, small bases throughout the area we go to or if the weather (five months out of the year) is nice we can camp either locally or in another country if needed.
As previously stated the military takes care of its own.  In my case staying put seems like the best option for 99% of scenarios I can think of, especially since we don’t blend in very well.  Not speaking the language and having more than 1.5 kids is a dead giveaway.  If the event was anti-American in nature we wouldn’t leave the base.  I also think that if it got too bad the goverment would do a mass evac of dependents and service members, depending on the role the SM is fulfilling.  In that case a modified 72 hour kit would be the way to go.

If any of you have been in my position, or close to it, feel free to chime in.

Offline LdMorgan

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2012, 07:21:36 AM »
Going back to the original question: Where to bug out to when there is no BOL available?

That's one of the worst possible scenarios, because every square inch of the earth is owned by somebody--so wherever you go you are either going to be made unwelcome, or be welcome only within the limits set by someone else.

Local governments can be rather unfriendly to refugees. Our county has an "open lodging" law. Anyone camping in the bush, or just sleeping in public, can be arrested and jailed.

It's used more to roust than to incarcerate, but being rousted everywhere you go gets old really fast.

If you don't have a safe place to go to, you are on the run every minute of every day. That's just not acceptable on any level, so bugging out without a BOL is really not an option.

You have to have some sort of destination in mind.

Well, there is strength in numbers, and pre-preparation is the essence of being prepared.

You might set up a MAG among like-minded military wives and set up a local BOL that would be good for at least two weeks.

For example:

Make advance arrangements for (say) ten or so families to rent hunting land nearby to go to  on a moment's notice. You'd just drop a check in the mail, notify the owner by phone or email, and go. That can work very well if there is a hunting cabin on the property. And a deal can be especially attractive to the property owner when hunting in not in season.

Ditto for a local campground. Just make arrangements to rent the least desirable portion of the campground, and then each family can show up with a rented camper or RV. Or in a rented moving van, or towing a large enclosed rental trailer.

In a pinch, anything that keeps the wind & rain out is a house.

Make arrangements to rent a building on the outskirts of wherever looks good. Even an empty warehouse can work as long as it has a roof, is defensible, and water can be made available. You might need a small generator to run a well pump, or water and electric might already be in place, even when the property is not occupied.

If you live near the shore or on a lake, consider renting a houseboat or two for the anticipated two weeks. You might not even have to leave the dock--but you could if you needed to.

You might rent a large motorhome (or two)--and make arrangements to occupy them on the lot if the location is acceptable. That way you wouldn't have to drive them, or have a place to drive them to.

Find a house that is up for rent far enough away to suit your needs, and arrange to rent it when you need it if it isn't already rented. Just talk to the real estate agent. Have several such houses on tap. Pick houses with enough land for the MAG to park/camp on, and use the house as your community center.

Ten families can come up with ten time as much cash on a moment's notice, and cash is what will open doors for you.

If you have to run on a moment's notice, your chance of survival (and that of your family) goes down significantly if you don't have a prepared destination. You'll probably wind up having to fight other refugees for space under the bridge, in the empty boxcar, or wherever.

Those, of course, being the good locations...

Offline LdMorgan

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2012, 07:31:21 AM »
I have three BOL's.. and I do not own a single one of them....

That's the very best kind of teaching: by example.

+1!

amanadoo

« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2012, 09:02:22 AM »
Oh great ideas LDMorgan, thanks!

Offline NorIDhunter

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2012, 10:13:20 AM »
For those with no second property, or no property at all, and no family near-by, where in the heck do you plan to go if you need to bug out?!
Where would you go, if you have to leave but have no place of your own?
At the very least, upwind & uphill.  ;)
I forget where I read it, but the word for someone bugging out without a place to bug out to is "refugee". 
Jmtc, you're still a refugee even with "a place to bug out to". You're just not "nomadic". Ie. you're taking refuge from "something" def: one that flees to escape danger or persecution.

Personally, I think if you want to see what a bug out with no BOL will look like, look towards OWS. A bunch of scared, angry people demanding that someone else "do something". Most will eventually get moved to a .gov or NGO shelter facility but some will start their own tent cities/shanty towns.

Offline cmxterra

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Bugging out in style.
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2012, 10:22:37 AM »
That's the very best kind of teaching: by example.

+1!

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2012, 10:24:16 AM »
I forget where I read it, but the word for someone bugging out without a place to bug out to is "refugee". 

I would like to keep it positive and consider it a 'nonscheduled' camping trip. I like to keep the adventure in everything...makes life easier.

Cedar

Offline cmxterra

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Bugging out in style.
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2012, 10:27:47 AM »
I have three BOL's.. and I do not own a single one of them.

BOL #1 is private so I would be trespassing. I am not going to say more than that, but there is more than enough land that no one will easily find me. I did choose it accidently for the location near me away from sewer, electric, gas mains and then found out who owned it and it is unlikely the landowners would get violent about it. I also chose it due to the lower elevation than #2 and #3, so it will be snow free all but a couple days of the year. It has extremely good water and I go there 1-2x a month to check to see what edible foods are there. I also go there when it is storming or other off weather to check and it is always calm in there. I have 4 routes to get there and can on foot.

Cedar

I am a big supporter of not trespassing on lands (or anything) that I do not own. I would have a real problem if I found squatters living on land I owned. It would be a bad day for them.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2012, 10:46:57 AM »
I am a big supporter of not trespassing on lands (or anything) that I do not own. I would have a real problem if I found squatters living on land I owned. It would be a bad day for them.

So do I, but trust me. The BOL #1 would not care.. especially in an emergency situation. If it was regular day activities, building a cabin, chopping down trees, establishing a fenceline, yeah they might say something about it, but on other sections of their land, they let people trespass all the time. And they are anti-violence. I actually found this spot as it is mismarked on a map. For the area I live in and at a worst case scenario on foot, this is my best choice. It is not a 'permanent' BOL. It is a place to regroup and plan at. Kinda of like your fire plan for meeting the family at the corner across the street. You don't want to live on the corner, but it is a place to collect everyone and regroup.

BOL #2 is public lands, think BLM. This is a couple month BOL at best. Probably more like weeks unless I can take BUCKETS of supplies.

BOL #3 is a 70 year old friends property, she never goes there and she already knows of my plans. This is also a couple month BOL at best.

If I had a choice and it was feasible to get there, I would want to go back to my 40 acre farm. It WAS the ideal BOL.

Cedar
« Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 10:57:10 AM by Cedar »

Offline cmxterra

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Bugging out in style.
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2012, 10:50:02 AM »
So do I, but trust me. The BOL #1 would not care.. especially in an emergency situation. If it was regular day activities, yeah they might say something about it, but on other sections of their land, they let people trespass all the time. And they are anti-violence. I actually found this spot as it is mismarked on a map.

BOL #2 is public lands, think BLM

BOL #3 is a 70 year old friends property and she already knows.

Cedar

If they are as you say they are.. why not just ask now instead of just presuming that it is ok?

Offline LdMorgan

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2012, 10:58:48 AM »
Oh great ideas LDMorgan, thanks!

Thanks, amanadoo. I suspect my ideas will merely spark even better ones for you--and I hope you don't ever actually have to use any of them.

Many years ago, in my misspent youth, I once spent an opportunistic night in a "U-Haul Hotel". It was very comfy on a very cold night--and sure beat freezing to death.

I would like to share the special understanding that I gained from that experience & have treasured ever since: if one must sleep on a 30-degree slant, feet down works muuuuuch better than head down!

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2012, 10:59:54 AM »
If they are as you say they are.. why not just ask now instead of just presuming that it is ok?

I cannot say why... and if I told you, you would understand.

Cedar

endurance

« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2012, 11:08:08 AM »
I'm very bug in oriented and bought my current homestead accordingly, but there are still plenty of possibilities that could force me away (winter storm while at work, wildland fire, chemical spill, etc.).  For those contingencies, I have a friend's place three miles from work as one option and another friend's place 30 minutes from my place and 30 minutes from work that would serve as a BOL for 1-15 days. 

Ideally, I want a small trailer that we can use as a guest room for now (our current place is a one bedroom), as well as being nice for weekend getaways and hunting season, but ultimately would be a good mobile BOL.  Being able to take a little piece of home with me is very appealing.  Having it pre-packed or everything pre-positioned for loading at a moment's notice would be a relief vs. having to worry if we forgot anything.  Small has it's advantages for heating, ease of towing, and fuel consumption and so long as it's a short-term bug out, that's fine with me.