Author Topic: College student with a bit of savings  (Read 1318 times)

Offline amdn

• Fledgling Prepper
College student with a bit of savings
« on: June 11, 2012, 10:05:01 PM »
Hi there preppers!

I'll keep things to the point and try not to ramble!

I'm a senior next year at a nerdy engineering university down in Houston--and studying computer/electrical engineering. Yea right i know, nanometer scale computing systems design skills would be super useful post shtf! Been listening to Jack for coming on 2 years now, and Ive finally built up financial resources to get started seriously prepping.

I do quiet a bit of backpacking and have an ultralight bug out backpack with a collapsable 22lr (marlin papoose) with a couple days of food and all the essentials.

My question is what should I concentrate my limited funds on next? I'm thinking food, but I live on campus and storage space is limited.

I'll also admit, I'm a bit apprehensive about december 21st. Not that mayans will rise out the ground to eat us, but rather I fear the potential for a small percent of people to freak out and induce social unrest. Hopefully I'll be out of metropolitan Houston, but I work for the athletics department at my school and might have to remain on campus for the winter break.

Any ideas folks? I defer to the experts and the novices alike :)

Offline CrunchDog

• Survivor
  • For my wife, for my daughter, for our life.
Re: College student with a bit of savings
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2012, 10:42:24 PM »
I second your thinking in food storage. With limited space, store whatever you can. But after that I would definitely advise you to just save your money or invest it in something like gold or silver. When I was a younger man I wish somebody would have told me to put more money aside.

Invest in your backpacking, invest in what you like, prepping your happiness before you graduate should balance the stress of graduation. Worry about big item prepping once you get that nice job at SpaceX.

I wouldn't worry too much about the 2012ers. I feel like they've all but dissipated, but there could be an uproar once the date gets nearer. But good luck man. This is just my two cents.   

Offline Morning Sunshine

• Geese Smuggling Moonbat
  • Survival Veteran
  • There are no mistakes, just Learning Experiences
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2012, 06:59:55 AM »
I am guessing that this means you are also out of debt?  no student loans?  if this is the case: GOOD ON YOU!  if it is not the case, I would suggest that you start stockpiling money to pay off the loans once you graduate and your loans start coming due.

Offline gusty1

• Prepper
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2012, 08:08:32 AM »
I am guessing that this means you are also out of debt?  no student loans?  if this is the case: GOOD ON YOU!  if it is not the case, I would suggest that you start stockpiling money to pay off the loans once you graduate and your loans start coming due.

I agree with this because there is no worse feeling then the looming debt collectors for your student loans.  I would also work on getting some shelf stable foods putting them in a tote and putting them under your bed or in a closet in your dorm room. Good luck to you.

Offline Cacinok

• Survivalist Mentor
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2012, 09:05:34 AM »
I am guessing that this means you are also out of debt?  no student loans?  if this is the case: GOOD ON YOU!  if it is not the case, I would suggest that you start stockpiling money precious metals to pay off the loans once you graduate and your loans start coming due.

Fixed it for ya. ;)

OP, how you spend the money, other than the above, all depends on your preparedness plans and how far a long in those plans you are. 

Try to get at least three months worth of the food you eat regularly in place.  I know space is limited, but be creative.