Author Topic: Learn to Homebrew Day... Brewing my first barleywine  (Read 1757 times)

Offline Greywolf27

• Chief Kitty Petter
  • Survival Demonstrator
Learn to Homebrew Day... Brewing my first barleywine
« on: November 03, 2012, 12:28:00 AM »
Tomorrow I will brew my first Barleywine.  My brew club is doing a brewing demo... with bands, street tacos and a beer garden with 9 local commercial breweries pouring.  After all... tomorrow is "Learn to homebrew day"
There will be able 10 to 15 of us doing a demo of what all is involved with homebrewing.  I don't think I have ever ground 22 lbs of grain at one time before... and to think that it will go toward ~ 6 gallons of beer...

What are you brewing tomorrow?

Offline fratermus

• Survivalist Mentor
  • off-grid BOV
    • boondock plan
Re: Learn to Homebrew Day... Brewing my first barleywine
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2012, 01:49:01 AM »
Good thing I brew low-grav stuff, because my 5gal mashtun maxes out around 11# of grain. 

I have to work tomorrow so I won't be brewing.  :-(

Offline Greywolf27

• Chief Kitty Petter
  • Survival Demonstrator
Re: Learn to Homebrew Day... Brewing my first barleywine
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2012, 01:12:44 PM »
Yesterday was a great day... a very long day, but great all the same.

Brewing turned out great... I did burn a hole in one of my hop bags though... it got caught between my immersion chiller and the bottom of the kettle at the end of the boil... whoops.  I hope the charred bag doesn't come through in some kind of nasty flavor.

The mash was something else... my 10 gal cooler only had about an inch of space in the top.  Mashed well, temp stayed around 154... should be a good beer