Author Topic: 13 skills for kids  (Read 2138 times)

Offline cheryl1

• Survival Demonstrator
    • Russell Honey
13 skills for kids
« on: December 10, 2012, 08:53:38 AM »
My girls are joining me in learning 13 skills. We'll set goals, keep track of progress, and have some kind of celebration when we're done. The first thing they want to learn is how to use the sewing machine to make a pillowcase and a dress. They haven't settled on any other goals yet.

Offline rikkrack

• Dedicated Contributor
  • Permaculture Entrepreneur
    • Wolf-Beach Farms
Re: 13 skills for kids
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2012, 08:45:39 AM »
My older girls listen when we have it on in the car. I hadn't thought of getting them involved. Maybe part of our family discussion tonight. I know one of our girls wants to learn to sew on a machine, and even got the old machine when the wife updated hers.

Offline cheryl1

• Survival Demonstrator
    • Russell Honey
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2012, 10:02:57 AM »
We also added beekeeping-oldest is going to take it as a 4-H project.

EOTS

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2012, 01:27:07 PM »
We signed up as a family -- 13 skills between us. This was kind of a relief to me -- the boys were interested, but their interests tend to overlap to me...I was pretty sure I couldn't handle theirs on top of mine...

Anyway, my oldest has set goals for dog training and archery. I was actually impressed with his archery goal. It was realistic, based on what he's already experienced.

I also am planning some paracord projects for him and our next oldest.

Still working things out here....

Offline Krystel81

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2012, 08:22:50 AM »
I picked some skill just so I could do them with my kids there to young to do it on their own.
(4 and 1) I plan to learn Archery with my 4yo and he will help with the chickens and garden. ;D

Offline undaunted6

• Prepper
  • New to Forum, Long time listener
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2013, 06:23:52 AM »
Understanding machines

A skill or maybe a precursor to a skill in understanding things mechanical/electrical for kids.

I take the old power tools, devices (vacuum cleaner, TV remote), toys, etc that no longer work for some reason and show the kids how to safely take them apart. Through the reverse of building something, they can learn how machines work. I will also reuse any screws, bolts, nuts, motors, etc for other projects and have the kids separate them by size and place in jars for future use. Sometimes the kids get a kick out of "tearing" it up and don't realize the learning aspect, but I can show them where the power cord goes and what the power goes to and make it more interesting.

Offline cheryl1

• Survival Demonstrator
    • Russell Honey
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2013, 08:21:11 AM »
That's an awesome idea-thanks