Author Topic: Making Blue Fluid or Why Your Wife Will Not Use a 5-Gal Bucket  (Read 3974 times)

Offline Alex Shrugged

• Prepper
    • Alex Shrugged
I've been doing an experiment with blue fluid... that stuff you use in toilets... and it works.

Jack says that one should prepare not only for one's self but also for the wife and kids because what might be acceptable for a man, isn't going to be acceptable to his wife and kids. Crapping into a 5 gallon bucket will not be acceptable to one's wife and children  so what can one do about sanitation needs and still fulfill the motto "Helping you to live a better life when times get tough, and even when they don't."

Buying blue fluid at the RV store only makes sense if you already own an RV. I can't even drive a car so how can I prepare for sanitation needs and not have to force my wife and elderly mother-in-law to use a five gallon bucket? Those are two things.

Blue fluid from mouthwash: I spoke to a nurse about sanitation needs and "blue fluid". She suggested as an alternative "cheap mouthwash".  Great idea. It's is blueish to greenish of sorts. It has some alcohol in it so it might be used as a disinfectant (or as actual mouthwash!), and you can rotate through it on a weekly basis as part of rotating your preps. In other words, YOU ARE ALREADY BUYING IT. I bought 4 bottles of cheap mouthwash and started using it. I won't get into the gory details but I'm telling you I ran this experiment. It worked fine.

Blue Fluid from Toilet Drop-in Tablets: Even cheap mouthwash will cost you money over time. In the short run it's perfect but for the long haul, you are going to need something cheaper, and easier to store. Thus began my journey into Vanish "Scrubbing Bubbles" Toilet Drop-ins. Buy one box. It has 4 individually wrapped packets. I got gallons and gallons of blue fluid out of just one of these babies for less than 2 dollars and it stores forever.

http://www.scrubbingbubbles.com/Products/Pages/vanish.aspx

How it works: I took a small, wide-mouthed container and placed one Vanish disk into it and filled the container with water. It produced blue fluid immediately. I poured it off into one of my empty "cheap mouthwash" bottles and placed a label on it "Toilet only" just in case someone thought this stuff was actual mouthwash. I also drew an X on the top of the cap using a black marker.

The disk of Vanish remained in the container so I refilled the container with water and let it sit for a day. It got inky blue.... I mean it was REALLY concentrated blue fluid. I then used a funnel and poured off a little bit into empty bottles and diluted them with water into something reasonable that I could pour into a toilet after use. For a single person, with normal toilet usage, one blue disk will make enough blue fluid to last a solid month... no joke. I'm serious. It will probably last longer but I am guaranteeing one month per person as long as the water holds out (use creek water, folks). Thus for a family of four... one box of the Vanish dropins will do it for a month minimum.

So... what about that 5 gallon bucket? Do you think Grandma is going to be hovering her fanny over that?

If you trundle on down to a discount store or your local pharmacist you will see portable potty chairs for sale for the elderly and infirmed. It is a free-standing toilet with a small bucket attached. People know what it is. Even kids will recognize what it is. The height can be adjusted and it can be disassembled for storage. In a survival situation the small bucket will be inadequate but if you are sick and you can't run to the toilet, it makes a great emergency stop off point if you think you can't make it all the way to the bathroom.

Sorry. I know the imagery makes people uncomfortable but so does cleaning this stuff up and if you've had children then you know how this goes. We did these things when they were babies. We can do it again. And having one of these available fulfills the part of "Even if the times  don't get tough."

The small bucket on the portable potty chair is removable for obvious reasons. In a survival situation where the entire family is now using it, you can remove the small bucket and place the 5 gallon bucket underneath it. No more "hovering". It only smells bad when you dump it. Otherwise, open a window and the smell will be tolerable.

Regarding disposal of waste in a survival situation, I have not experimented with that. Long term, I'd dig a latrine and dump the stuff there... away from any drinking water, but as I said, I lack experience with that, so your guess is as good as mine.

I welcome corrections or experience with the same situation.

Alex

Offline HawthorneCA

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Re: Making Blue Fluid or Why Your Wife Will Not Use a 5-Gal Bucket
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2013, 08:26:31 PM »
Why not store 5-6 buckets of sawdust and a toilet seat to fit over an empty bucket?  Check out the awesome info on composting toilets here:
http://humanurehandbook.com/store/LOVEABLE-LOO-Eco-Toilet.html

Offline Alex Shrugged

• Prepper
    • Alex Shrugged
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2013, 11:28:43 AM »
For long term, of course, a sawdust/dirt toilet is best. I was thinking like one month-long use with a ready supply of water like a river or creek nearby (which describes my situation). And I was trying to figure out a system that fulfills the idea of "when things get tough and even if they don't" and is readily available at a local store along a bus line.... since I am handicapped and can't drive.

Now... if I was a deer hunter setting up a long-term perch, (I am no kind of hunter but if I was one I'd imagine that) I could set up such a sawdust toilet system and it would be much better than what I have suggested. That would fulfill the idea of having a normal purpose as well as an emergency purpose. But then again... if I'm hunting (and I am not a hunter) why wouldn't I just find a convenient spot and "hover"? So... if I was setting up a hunting cabin... sure. I'd use the sawdust/dirt toilet system. Makes a lot more sense.

I was talking about what to do with grandma and the wife and kids that would work at home but could be disassembled and stored flat when not in use and could be useful in non-emergency situations. There is a reason the local discount store is selling these portable potty chairs. It's not in the camping section of the store. It's in the pharmacy section because people with medical issues often need them. That is my idea of a non-emergency use.

Alex

Offline NorIDhunter

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2013, 06:39:09 AM »
Pool/spa treatment chemicals often come in a taller bucket that has built in side handles and a screw on as opposed to a snap on lid. This helps alleviate the "back splash",  :o  makes it easier to transport to the dump zone, and if you cut out an appropriate opening in the lid and then epoxy an old toilet seat to it, secures the seat very well.
Most hotels, pools, water parks etc are happy to give the buckets away if you ask 'em ahead of time.

Offline Alex Shrugged

• Prepper
    • Alex Shrugged
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2013, 07:37:20 AM »
Thanks, all. Your replies have helped me understand the issue of sanitation better.

Using dirt/sawdust/kitty litter instead of blue fluid makes a lot of sense if one is setting up a toilet outdoors or in a shed. I can't imagine using such a system inside the home in the short-term though.

I like the idea of using a taller bucket with a lid. I never really had to think about carrying a bucket any further than 15 feet.

One does not want a bucket to fill too much because it gets too heavy: 47 pounds minimum for water... the weight of a 5 gallon Sparkletes water bottle. I am handicapped so weight is an issue for me.

Due to odor issues (mostly urine) empty the effluent often... at least twice a day per person. I used the bucket that came with the seat. I filled it with 4 inches of water and poured in the small amount of blue-fluid concentrate I had made from the Vanish tablets.

A lit candle helps.

Keep a window open. Builders are required to place a window or a strong fan in every room with a toilet. Most builders opt for a window and a small fan because folks like natural light but unlike a fan, the window functions in a power-down situation. Make sure it hasn't been painted closed over the years.

Use eye protection. One time I managed to splash some of the blue fluid in my eye. It didn't hurt. I washed the eye out with water but it still felt weird. My wife bought a Bausch and Lomb eye wash. It comes with an eye cup. I used that once and my eye was fine. It probably would have been fine anyway but I now have eye wash on hand.

http://www.amazon.com/Bausch-Lomb-Wash-4-Ounce-Bottle/dp/B000052XC6

Use soap and water after you handle the effluent and/or use gloves.

Being a diabetic, I am checking my blood sugars, especially in the morning, so I create a potential septic danger each time I prick my finger. I made sure that I had an ABSOLUTE sanitation procedure. It is very easy to be called away between the moment after I have emptied the effluent but before I have washed my hands. I disciplined myself to tell my wife/mother/kids to wait until after I washed my hands. I had to remind them kindly but firmly.

I really have run this experiment long-term. It is amazing what one can get used to. I used to clean toilets in a factory on the weekends when I was 10 years old. I still remember how this goes. Remember that 100 years ago, just crossing the street involved dodging horse manure with every step. We used to deal with this every day. Buck up.

FYI: most of my preps are focused on the short-term because I am handicapped. I don't expect to maintain myself in the long term. Either my children will pick me up and take me away from here, or there won't be anyone left alive here to take away. In either case I only have to maintain myself in the short term (short term being defined as a month or less).

Offline inconel710

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Not-so-New TSP Forum member
    • My 13Skills Blog
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2013, 01:24:46 PM »
This may not work for you and your wife, but we've used a folding camping toilet before.  They're a little low and might be hard for someone with bad knees to use.  It uses plastic bags to contain the mess.  I keep a container of blue sanitation crystals on hand to deodorize things and avoid changing the bag everytime.  There's also a product called the "Double Doodie" bag that double bags your "deposit" but they're expensive ($15 for box of six on Amazon).

Offline bcksknr

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Child of the Cold War
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2013, 11:36:55 AM »
     We've had an unused Sears Port-a-Potti in storage for years. Bought it on clearance , on a wim. We also have the "blue fluid" concentrate and biodegradable TP for it. It has a rather limited holding tank, but would be easy to dump in the toilet. I could also dispose of the waste by dumping it directly into our septic tank. That being said, in an outage we would and have, just continued to use the regular toilets and flush them sparingly by pouring water into the toilet tank. I can run my well pump with our generator, or if that goes out, there's always 55 gallons in our garden rain barrel or 100 gallons in the waterheater. I have plenty of buckets and contractor bags if needed and can always remove a household toilet seat for a bucket toilet. If you're not going to dispose of waste in a septic system, you can always use bleach to cut odors and kill bacteria.
     I might suggest never using containers from consumables, such as mouthwash, for chemicals! Accidental poisoning is a real possibility, especially for children.

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
  • TSP Supreme Galactic Ant
  • Dont wait for the storm to pass, dance in the rain
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2013, 03:59:49 PM »
My daughter who is 3 has her little potty chair as she cannot make it up to the adult toilet yet. I am not always in there with her when she used the loo, and to empty it, so I spied Z's orange mouthwash and put 1 TB or so in there.. and it works very well, been using it for about a week or so now.

Cedar

Offline Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2013, 01:11:59 AM »
you mean you used moutwash to kill the odors of pee?

man that is potent stuff. i only used it to kill the foot odor in some rubber galoshes

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2013, 03:12:55 AM »
Yes Greekman and it works very well.

Listerine was used at rabbit shows for a long time to 'wash' the judges hands if they came across what they suspected was a sick rabbit.

Cedar

Offline Greekman

• Survival Demonstrator
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2013, 05:29:25 AM »
but it is just a cheap alochol and antomicrobial solution...is it because it is cheap?

Offline Cedar

• ...just aDD water...
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2013, 08:48:57 AM »
I tried it as I was curious if it really worked. I was going through the bathroom cupboard going to reload the TP dispenser and had to move Z's mouthwash, so I gave it a go to see what Alex's (OP) idea worked like.

Cedar

Offline Alex Shrugged

• Prepper
    • Alex Shrugged
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2013, 10:48:55 AM »
That is why I like the Mouthwash idea. It is a multi-use store. You can have three or four bottles of mouthwash stored away and use them for mouthwash, rotating the bottle regularly. Then when some disaster occurs, you can use it as mouthwash, a mild antiseptic, and for the porta-potty toilet.

Once you run out, you can relabel the bottles and go for the Vanish Tablets liquid. For labeling I used Pink Masking Tape and a marker. I labeled it "For Toilet Only". I would also place an "X" on the top of the cap... all for the purpose of NOT putting Vanish Blue Liquid in my mouth. But even if I did, I doubt it would do any damage and one would realize the mistake quickly although I've never tried that experiment.

Alex

Offline bcksknr

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Child of the Cold War
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2013, 12:45:22 PM »
     Please don't take this as a "scold", but NEVER store poisons, toxins, automotive chemicals, cleaning solutions or anything that you wouldn't ordinarily swallow, in food or beverage containers. The chance of accidental ingestion by yourself, your child or a visitors child is just too great! Antifreeze is sweet and colorful and will kill pets and children as surely as a bullet to the brain. I keep household and workshop chemicals in secured locations and even then they are in original or non beverage or food containers containers, plainly marked. A good idea is to have a poison control center phone number posted where you store these items. Don't risk a tragedy.

inbox485

« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2013, 02:03:11 PM »
I personally have some powder packs that are specifically sold for pouring over your load after you drop it in a 5 gallon bucket bag. Beyond that, I store wheat hull cat litter... for cats, but it would work fine for holding down human odor, and would compost in a pit just fine. As for forcing the ladies to use it, why? Who says anything about forcing anything? If it becomes a need, you will be providing an alternative to digging individual holes in the ground in the backyard and 'letting' them not forcing them.