Author Topic: My Summer Kitchen  (Read 1822 times)

Offline allofthemonkeys

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Dutch Oven A Day
My Summer Kitchen
« on: July 25, 2013, 04:56:16 PM »
Hi guys, I made a video of my 'summer kitchen' that can also be a survival situation kitchen.  I would appreciate any feedback.

http://youtu.be/1aFiiQbGj4c

Offline Crazy Fox

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Every day, every way, getting better.
Re: My Summer Kitchen
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2013, 01:17:06 PM »
Nice beginning ;D

All that I have to add is that a short intro to your requirements (kind of a "philosophy of use") for a summer kitchen might be nice.

I liked how you took a minute to point out the drawbacks of the current setup (burners are a little far apart) and mentioned your future needs (water and counter space). This helps people plan their own projects.

I'm a newb to the concept of a summer kitchen, so this stuff is right up my alley.

Offline ncjeeper

• Most Noble Order of the Garter Snake
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • Oooops!
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2013, 06:16:59 PM »
Is there any cost savings associated with using the summer kitchen?

Offline allofthemonkeys

• Survivalist Mentor
    • Dutch Oven A Day
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2013, 12:54:01 AM »
CTyler, thanks for the pointer, I will try to add that to my future videos.

Jeeper, I haven't done any math as to the costs.  It just gets really hot in my house if I have something going for a while, like boiling a pot of potatoes or pasta. 

I lived in Florida for a while and I noticed that in some neighborhoods, everyone had one.  I lived with central AC so it wasn't much or a problem.  Now, I have a window AC in my child's room and a window swamp cooler in my bedroom but the kitchen really gets hot, being on the south west corner.  I remembered the summer kitchens in Florida and 'light bulb' That's why they did it!  I set my stove up on the deck, left my grill where it was and got a start on my 'summer kitchen'.

Offline Oil Lady

• Lady oil lady oil la-dy hoo
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • My book needs more humor. My pen needs more salt.
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2013, 05:52:40 AM »
Is there any cost savings associated with using the summer kitchen?

Well, here are my suggestions:

1) I think your electric bill will like it since your a/c is not being taxed (unless you're constantly opening and closing the door to enter and exit the house during the cooking process).

2) And (we did this when I was a kid) if you are able to cook with wood instead if gas or charcoal, and if you can gather the firewood from a nearby woodlot instead of buying it, the your fuel is essentially free. And ... have your kids gather the firewood!

(Time for one of my stories.)

There was a very large and wildly overgrown vacant lot full of shaggy trees and thick brush next door to where I lived when I was 14. I would venture into the wooded lot almost every day during the summer and gather firewood ---mostly scrubby sticks and thin branches. All the wood I gathered was fallen dead wood and so I never had to cut any living trees at all. I gathered the stuff with my bare hands. After a week of this, I had cut a nice foot path through that wooded lot. After 2 months, there was almost nothing left on the ground in the whole lot. I had picked it clean. It was a great exercise for me. I learned that oak is heavier and denser, while maple is lighter and more pliable. Pine will stain your clothes. I learned to spot the green freshly fallen stuff and differentiate it from the dry long-fallen stuff. As a kid, this was a very important job in my eyes. It made me feel important. I knew it was saving us money, and also it was a relatively safe chore which I took upon myself to perform. I enjoyed knowing it was part of the running of the household, and I took pride in how adept I had become at it. I never did anything truly dangerous, never brandished any sharp tools, and I never once lit any fires. I only did it for one summer But it was a learning experience I always treasure. It made me feel grownup knowing it was a real job of real impact to our lives.

Offline Crazy Fox

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Every day, every way, getting better.
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2013, 12:56:55 PM »
Jeeper, I haven't done any math as to the costs.  It just gets really hot in my house if I have something going for a while, like boiling a pot of potatoes or pasta. 

I agree! Here in CO it's often in the upper 90's, so whatever indoor cooking heat you generate stays in the house since you'd almost never heat it up enough to make it worth opening windows. Also, cooking outside avoids all the condensation and dripping from  the water vapor from inside cooking.

Oh, and nice story Oil Lady!