Author Topic: In search of a few items  (Read 7751 times)

Offline 1960paco

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
In search of a few items
« on: October 07, 2015, 01:34:00 PM »
Ok so I'm not sure if this goes here move it off need be. im looking to find a few items is like quality long lasting stuff and not sure where to begin. i want to get a few oil lanterns, wool blankets, some way to safely keep my family warm this winter should the power go out and a good quality LED lantern for indoors, any recommendations would be awesome as I'm new to this and you guys are a source i trust! thanks in advanced :)

endurance

Re: In search of a few items
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2015, 01:50:44 PM »
If you're a member of Costco, the last time I was there they had a great LED camping lantern that was 500+ lumens.  Looked like a very nice model and if I recall correctly was about $40, about half the price of a very similar unit I've been eyeing from Coleman recently.  They also had a number of smaller LED lighting options that worked with either remote control or motion detectors. 

For wool blankets, try to find stuff that is woven rather than felt.  Some of the cheaper felt blankets fall apart if they get wet (I learned this at an outdoors concert a few years ago).  While I purchased mine locally, I have this same blanket and it has lasted well over a decade between picnics, cold winter evenings, and the trunk of my car.  I wouldn't hesitate buying another one.

The one kerosene lantern I owned is long retired.  The chimney for it broke, I never got around to replacing it, and storing serious quantities of kerosene has never seemed like that good of an idea since it has a short shelf life and is getting harder and harder to find.

nkawtg

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2015, 02:04:38 PM »
Surplus stores are a good source of wool blankets.

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2015, 02:06:04 PM »
I just got in some of these last month, mostly for CERT and 1 for my son, and they are high quality and thick and warm, shipping is high because they are so thick and heavy, so close to 20/piece after shipping http://store.oldgrouch.biz/ismiwobl.html

While they dont have any in stock now, I have blankets for my daughter and my car that are these, very good blankets, 100% wool and thick. http://www.midwayusa.com/product/918416/military-surplus-polish-blanket-wool-gray   wish I had bought more for gifts.

Ones I did buy for home a gifts in the past were from here, when there was a big sale coupon, so 2 christmas' ago I bought 4 100% wool throws for gifts for about $25/each http://www.sierratradingpost.com/blankets-and-throws~d~55/searchwithin~wool/  Inflation has happened, with my "deal saver" email coupon today, the cheapest one is the first Pendelton wool throw and $40/each, but if 2 are bought shipping is only $1, making 2 for $81 inclusive of shipping -- this is for the prepping gift you give to family who arent into prepping

« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 02:13:09 PM by mountainmoma »

Offline Mr. Bill

• Like a hot cocoa mojito
  • Administrator
  • Forum Veteran
  • Trained Attack Sheepdog/Troll hunter
    • Website Maintenance and Online Presence Management by Mr. Bill
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2015, 02:22:24 PM »
I found this lantern at a department store:

I never understood why an LED lantern needs to be shaped like a propane/kerosene lantern.  This one is delightfully compact.  It's got 6 white LEDs that shine 330 lumens into a transparent light-spreading thingie (excuse technical terminology please).  It's omidirectional when unfolded like in the picture, and unidirectional when folded in half.  Seems to work fine with 8 rechargeable Eneloop AA cells.

I can't tell you anything about durability (yet), but it's a nice simple unit for keeping around the house.

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2015, 04:29:42 PM »
I use the oil lantern you get at the hardware store for when we want alot of light, and also just cheap votive candles lit and then dropped into a jar, these are good for leaving in the bathroom or carrying around.

I also have a few mag light LED flashlights that have double duty, work as flashlight and I have used them in "candle" mode for room light. I have even used the small 2 aa mag light in candle mode in the barn to milk goats when the pwer went out unexpectedly, plenty of light. I dont bring flammable light to the barn

Go to Steve Harris solar1234 or battery1234 for recommendations of basic products that work http://solar1234.com/   just scroll down until you come to prduct recommendation links, his recommendations work. https://search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?p=mag+light+in+candle+mode&ei=UTF-8&hspart=mozilla&hsimp=yhs-001  this is what I mean by using the flashlights as room lights. I dont have any other portable battery lanterns besides the flashlights

I also have battery back up and an inverter to go from my car (that I have never needed to put into service yet) so, for my house, I also just use a desk lamp with a low wattage LED bulb in it. Durable and dependable.

Offline mountainmoma

• Survival Demonstrator
  • suburban homesteader
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2015, 04:49:38 PM »
keeping your family warm. For this, we need more information on where you live, resources and climate.

I can telll you tho, when Hurricane Sandy hit the East Coast, and we were looking at the people and the temperature, my teen daughter saw the news and being intelligent said, what is the problem, realy ? It is barely freezing ? And, she is right, for them, if they still had a roof over their heads and were dry, they could easily keep from freezing, no need to go to the FEMA tent. I heard a description of the New Jersey FEMA tent by where our family lives, large, lights on constantly and cold. Might as well stay home if you still have home left. So, if you are dry and have shelter, and it is not much below freezing, you need to have everyone stay bundled up. Have a way to warm food and beverages. SO, you want to heat the person, not the house. Coats on, wool or fleece hat. Warm tea or hot cocoa. I like to also have some chemical hand warmers and body warmers if needed. Have everyone stay in one room of the house, pets too. Body heat.

Second tier on staying warm is to add insulation to the room everyone is staying in, like nailing extra blankets over doorway, windows, walls. Also, you can idle the car and use the car heater if you realy think it is neccessary, then go back into the house after warmed up and dried out.

But, you need to give more information about where you live, so you can get more directed hints and ideas

Offline GreyWolf

• Senior Survivalist
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2015, 05:16:52 PM »
Lehman.s has a wide variety of what you are looking for. They have a catalog.

Offline 1960paco

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2015, 08:39:07 PM »
holy crap you guys are awesome this is exactly what i needed to know! thank you all so much!

Offline keebler

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2015, 02:18:19 AM »
Oil lanterns, I have  6-- 3 glass base, 3 metal base That DON"T leak. 2.as for blankets I buy Moving blankets either Northern tool or Harbor Freight $6--8.oo , works for me
Keebler.

Offline Frugal Upstate

• Dedicated Contributor
  • aka Jenn Fowler and Jenn @ Frugal Upstate ;)
    • Frugal Upstate
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2015, 05:38:47 AM »
I'm in upstate ny and haven't convinced the hubs on a wood stove yet.  We have a pellet stove that cuts our conventional heating bill, but it needs power to run the auger that moves the pellets in.  We do keep a golf cart battery & adapter charged so we could run that for 8 hrs in a short term event. 

My medium term event heating backup is a mr buddy propane heater that is made to be used indoors.  We got the adapter from Amazon that can be be used to attach a larger "grilling" sized propane tank.

As for kerosine lamb s-I got a couple of the glass oil lamps from walmart in the candle section, along w some spare oil.

Offline Badhog

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2015, 05:03:24 PM »
I did a lot of research into this and bought the AA Streamlight Seige. It's long lasting and only takes 3 AA vs the 6 AA of the UST. The UST "lasts" longer, but also requires double the batteries, so it's a wash. It makes my life easier recharging 3 in a solar charger. They are also water proof as far as I know since they float.

endurance

« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2015, 10:28:42 AM »
I did a lot of research into this and bought the AA Streamlight Seige. It's long lasting and only takes 3 AA vs the 6 AA of the UST. The UST "lasts" longer, but also requires double the batteries, so it's a wash. It makes my life easier recharging 3 in a solar charger. They are also water proof as far as I know since they float.
Nice find. I had no idea such a beast existed. Run times are pretty solid for three aa batteries.

Of course I need another light in my house like I need more time on the internet.  ::)

My favorite remains my homemade 2660 lumen Ray-O-Vac Hunter conversion. Brighter than my car headlight, portable, and rechargeable with a two hour battery life.

Offline BriGy86

• Senior Survivalist
  • Good news everyone!
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2015, 11:17:01 AM »
I have to admit I'm not the best prepared in this area but I do have one of these for heat:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002WRHE8?keywords=Big%20Buddy%20Portable%20Heater&qid=1445447184&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1
(Let me know if you have questions.)

I figured propane would be better since it has a longer shelf life, I have a gas grill, and my generator can run on propane.  For the wool blankets; I've been meaning to get some off of old grouches site.  How does one tell if they are felt or woven?

Offline JerseyVince

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2015, 11:49:24 AM »
Endurance Streamlight also makes a 3-D battery version of the Siege and a couple new models of the AA one. they have a Pink Breast Cancer awareness and a yellow magnetic bottom model that just came out.

I have the AA and D cell model and would recommend the D if you only wanted one lantern. it's compact can run on AAs if you get eneloop AA to D adapters and will run for days on D-cells alkaline or NIMH LSD rechargables.

You modded the Hunter lantern? Is that the one with 8 D cells?

endurance

« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2015, 12:45:28 PM »

You modded the Hunter lantern? Is that the one with 8 D cells?
4-D cell. I bought two on eBay for less than $15 each. Took one and put a 1350 lumen led driving light on it and a SLA battery that fit in perfectly, and donated that one to my fire department after wiring up a trickle charger for it. The other I used a 2660 lumen led driving light and a 14.8v, 8800mah lithium ion battery and it's an area lighter. I did a thread on it somewhere. If you want other info, PM me.

They make great task lights for large area floods you can bring anywhere. Not as portable as a pocket light, but the battery life to lumen ratio is a win.

Offline JerseyVince

• Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2015, 02:38:30 PM »
They sound like great scene lights endurance, nice job

Offline bcksknr

• Survival Demonstrator
  • Child of the Cold War
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2015, 03:21:02 PM »
     Please be very cautious with any indoor combustion heater. Carbon monoxide is a silent killer. You can't smell it and it is a product of combustion; kerosene or gas, it doesn't matter. Even the "Big Buddy" heaters have a warning to not use them in sleeping areas. With CO you go to sleep and don't wake up. Every year there are reports of folks that have died as a result of unvented heaters; even foolish enough to burn a charcoal grill indoors for warmth in an outage. Make sure you have working CO detectors on each floor of your home (along with smoke alarms). Also be very careful of liquid fuel lanterns or even candles, especially if you have children. I think an investment in the military surplus, four piece sleep system would solve lots of issues. I bought one for each member of my family. Used together, the system is rated to -50. A little spendy (depending on new or used), but you would never freeze to death using one. In winter we keep them in our vehicles.

endurance

« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2015, 05:39:55 PM »
+1 on the CO discussion. I've also seen a very high failure rate on CO alarms, so to me, it's a two is one, one is none item. We have one next to the bed and one wall mounted next to the door.

Offline Badhog

• Survivalist Mentor
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2015, 09:50:43 PM »
Nice find. I had no idea such a beast existed. Run times are pretty solid for three aa batteries.

Of course I need another light in my house like I need more time on the internet.  ::)

My favorite remains my homemade 2660 lumen Ray-O-Vac Hunter conversion. Brighter than my car headlight, portable, and rechargeable with a two hour battery life.
Don't quote me on the waterproof, but I bought them after watching a video where a lady threw them in her tub. They are smaller than I thought, but I'm happy with them. They are plenty bright my needs. Again, I liked the run times and the fact I could charge 3 AA in my solar charger without a problem. I've thought about buying the D version, but in an emergency those will be a lot harder to find batteries for (or use my rechargeable AA battery D converter with).

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2015, 03:41:49 AM »
I found this lantern at a department store:

I never understood why an LED lantern needs to be shaped like a propane/kerosene lantern.  This one is delightfully compact.  It's got 6 white LEDs that shine 330 lumens into a transparent light-spreading thingie (excuse technical terminology please).  It's omidirectional when unfolded like in the picture, and unidirectional when folded in half.  Seems to work fine with 8 rechargeable Eneloop AA cells.

I can't tell you anything about durability (yet), but it's a nice simple unit for keeping around the house.

Just be fore warned that if used on highest light setting this AA battery powered light is good for ONE to TWO hours of really bright light and the "D" cell version (produces less light) will run a long ,long time.By dimming the AA powered light ,it's productive life
(or battery life) can be extended.

http://www.amazon.com/Energizer-Weather-Ready-Folding-Lantern/dp/B001D937SY/ref=sr_1_4?s=outdoor-recreation&ie=UTF8&qid=1445506669&sr=1-4&keywords=led+lantern+energizer