Author Topic: Documentation Binder  (Read 6536 times)

Offline 1960paco

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
Documentation Binder
« on: January 11, 2016, 11:16:57 AM »
What exactly goes into a document binder other than emergency and family phone numbers

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
Re: Documentation Binder
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2016, 11:33:53 AM »
Maps to bug out locations, emails, potentially banking information, insurance information.

Think about it like, "My house just burned down and all I have to recreate my life is in this bag."

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2016, 11:59:35 AM »
Besides what Chem said ...a written plan of where to go and who to call to regain contact when separated.

My bug out bag IS my documents and family photos, I also have digital scans of all on a thumb drive for reference.

PS...I have a secure BOL ,less than 10 miles from home and my BOB is there and very secure.

PLEASE plan to go somewhere...not just anywhere.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2016, 12:05:44 PM by Carl »

Offline Chemsoldier

• Pot Stirrer
  • Moderator On Leave
  • Survival Veteran
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2016, 01:46:48 PM »
When placing the digital information to recreate your life on removable media in your binder/bag...that is a reason to use encryption.

Some people place knowledge in their files especially when it is digital.  Its up to you.  Some have eleventy different manuals and guides in them.  The PDFs of appliances and items you own may not be a bad addition.

Offline tumtum73

• Prepper
  • IT G33k
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2016, 04:18:02 PM »
Episode 1224 of the survival podcast covered this topic in depth.

endurance

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2016, 05:30:03 PM »
In addition to having a hard copy in a binder, I find the following useful to have pre-programmed into your phone:

Address and phone number of local hospitals (EMS may be overwhelmed).  Know which hospitals are the best at trauma, pediatrics, heart and stroke treatment.  That might be four different hospitals in your area or it might be one or two.

Address and phone number of your pharmacy along with the address and phone number of a 24 hour pharmacy.

Address and phone number for your vet, animal hospital, and kennel.  A copy of your pet's shot records may be critical to getting your pet into a kennel or emergency shelter.

Addresses and phone numbers of at least three friends that would let you crash at their place if you had an emergency, ideally some will be able to accommodate your pets, too.

A list of hotels with numbers that will take pets.

Phone number to your insurance agent(s).

Also in the binder:

A photocopy of everything in your wallet, front and back. 
A copy of your passport. 
A copy of your birth certificate.
A copy of your homeowners policy.
A copy of all your bills updated once a year (or more, but all you really need is the account numbers and 800 number).
An encrypted flash drive with your family photos, resume, scanned copy of your tax returns from the previous year, pictures of all valuables showing the serial numbers, a video showing belongings in each room of your home, every dresser drawer, closet, etc.
A checkbook.
Cash.
A list of all prescriptions for every family member along with an overview of their medical history (past surgeries, injuries, serious illnesses, vaccination records).  Having a page for each family member that you can tear out and give to the doctor or paramedics is a real time-saver and may provide critical information at a time when a loved one can't speak for themselves.

Offline outoforder2day

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Semper Ubi Sub Ubi
    • The End Of The Tunnel
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2016, 01:09:03 PM »

Offline r_w

• Dedicated Contributor
  • On my way
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2016, 03:23:11 PM »
Everything you need to recreate or shut down all your accounts.  Bank numbers, the national number for visa, MasterCard, credit services, etc. 

Offline idelphic

• I Zgjuari I Dynjasë
  • Dedicated Contributor
  • Theoretical Conceptualist - Avatar by Ada
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2016, 04:22:24 PM »
I've long wanted to build a database system to keep data.  but not something I"ve good at building.

Offline soupbone

• Once made a pun out of "Mephistopheles"
  • Survival Demonstrator
  • If you think you're close enough - get closer.
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2016, 07:45:40 PM »
I'd add a section showing floor plans - schematics - of your current and bug-out location, Include utility shutoffs (and how to do it), fuse box with a list of what breaker controls what, and water zone valves, for those non EOTW emergencies - pipe bursting when the kids are home alone, stuff like that. In fact, you might want to make two folders, one for "everyday" use and one for sensitive information. Doctors, plumbers, HVAC contractors, important contacts, etc. aren't really that sensitive compared to deeds, bank accounts and the like.

Every responsible person in the family should be familiar with the emergency manual, even if it's just to be able to hand it to the first responders. IIRC, there's a lot of info in this forum about Doc Binders - try the search function, if you haven't already, and make sure you keep hard copies. Flash drives, etc. are great, but you know Murphy's Law.

Good luck in your quest.

Offline 1960paco

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2016, 02:31:18 PM »
holy crap i didnt know about the wiki thats exactly what i was looking for

Offline idelphic

• I Zgjuari I Dynjasë
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2016, 07:11:01 AM »
I have to go back and search.. but there may be more about setting up a Document Binder elsewhere... 

I've started looking at building a Spreadsheet system..  I have been back and forth for a few years on how to best do this.

Spreadsheet or (Access like) database.

Right now I am starting with a spreadsheet and will build out a (MS Word like) document for printing....

Offline outoforder2day

• Survivalist Mentor
  • Semper Ubi Sub Ubi
    • The End Of The Tunnel
« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2016, 09:51:52 AM »
I have to go back and search.. but there may be more about setting up a Document Binder elsewhere... 

I've started looking at building a Spreadsheet system..  I have been back and forth for a few years on how to best do this.

Spreadsheet or (Access like) database.

Right now I am starting with a spreadsheet and will build out a (MS Word like) document for printing....

Access?
Access?!?!
 :jaw-drop:
Access is never the right solution!

In all seriousness, keep it simple. Text files organized in a folder structure, with images/pdfs as needed. You probably won't find many folks with access installed in the PAW. Notepad, though, is everywhere in one form or another. Encrypt it with something easily obtainable (and available for at least windows and mac) for the same reason.

Also, access is painful. Ye gods have I had nothing but bad experiences with it over the years...

Offline idelphic

• I Zgjuari I Dynjasë
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2016, 04:42:06 PM »
Access?
Access?!?!
 :jaw-drop:
Access is never the right solution!

In all seriousness, keep it simple. Text files organized in a folder structure, with images/pdfs as needed. You probably won't find many folks with access installed in the PAW. Notepad, though, is everywhere in one form or another. Encrypt it with something easily obtainable (and available for at least windows and mac) for the same reason.

Also, access is painful. Ye gods have I had nothing but bad experiences with it over the years...

Yea,.. main goal though is to be able to print / reprint in the same nice format.  I've started with LibreOffice as it's Open Source and cross platform.

Offline Carl

• Mr HamTastic!
  • Forum Veteran
  • COW?...No ,I haven't seen your cow.
« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2016, 04:56:27 PM »
Yea,.. main goal though is to be able to print / reprint in the same nice format.  I've started with LibreOffice as it's Open Source and cross platform.

Then scan them and save as JPG,multi operating systems read and print JPG and I would use a secure or encrypted thumb drive ...many options available. :popcorn: :popcorn:

Offline idelphic

• I Zgjuari I Dynjasë
  • Dedicated Contributor
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2016, 05:34:19 PM »
Then scan them and save as JPG,multi operating systems read and print JPG and I would use a secure or encrypted thumb drive ...many options available. :popcorn: :popcorn:
Had actually planned to dump to PDF. But as an image maybe.... both can bed edited post creation.

Offline 1960paco

• Prepper
  • New TSP Forum member
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2016, 12:24:38 PM »
i was trying to write down a generalized list i can build on to as i go along but like most things with prepping the first step seems overwhelming

Offline r_w

• Dedicated Contributor
  • On my way
« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2016, 04:30:24 PM »
Had actually planned to dump to PDF. But as an image maybe.... both can bed edited post creation.

Me, too. But jpeg has native viewers on all platforms and has for almost as long as I remember.