Author Topic: Make Magazine: How Makers Can Respond To Disasters  (Read 662 times)

Offline Special K

• Survivor
  • Confused...Mostley...I think...
Make Magazine: How Makers Can Respond To Disasters
« on: October 13, 2017, 01:48:26 PM »
https://makezine.com/2017/10/13/california-wildfires/

Long read but worth it.

Firecamp has already organized 600 acres near Bodega Bay. An organizer, Dave Morin, says “FireCamps is an open project working to build small communities of yurts with food, water, and bathrooms on donated private land to help evacuees who lost their homes in the Northern California fires.”

I wish we had a way to organize makers to respond to disasters such as these. We don’t have the infrastructure to do it easily, but it is starting to happen. Just like firefighters and EMTs, makers with proper training could help not as first responders but in the aftermath of a disaster. They could be organized to rebuild and repair.

The maker movement can bring tools, ideas, and expertise to bear on these problems. I would bet that few of the humanitarian or government agencies are thinking how digital fabrication can accelerate the rebuilding process. Makers can bring this knowledge and experience, and they can share it with others and train them in new ways to build. There are already reports that places like Houston cannot find enough workers.

I began talking about these ideas several weeks ago at World Maker Faire in New York. I met with our Maker Faire producers Ric Herrera of Miami and David and Lisa Brunet of Houston about how makers could be involved in the long-term rebuilding efforts. Lisa mentioned that some of the makerspaces in Houston were lost because of the flood. I reached out to Bill Young of Shopbot who also wanted to talk about an idea he proposed in an article on Medium. We could look for ways to upcycle the debris from a hurricane as materials out of which you could make new things.